Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Not sure how I got here.

I have never called anyone stupid, and have tried to explain my point in detail in many cases, given my level of writing quality.

I agree with you 100% there should be quality tv repair 101 stickies here. Unfortunately, it does not exist, and some times better answers exist off this site, and there is the added disconnect that new people doing stuff alone with no one watching over them.

And in a lot of cases if you want to find something here you are better off using google to find it than the search from the site.

I don't expect new people to know everything in 2 months.... I may often write using terms they, or you, don't fully understand, fine ask again differently. New people like you also should not take on things that are above their full understanding right away.

My very first tv was a 1959 emerson b&w tv thrown out on junk day back in 1974.... I don't have it anymore, but I have 2 exactly like it. They all plus another chassis I got had bad filter caps. The set I got as a kid had a tilted yoke, and a short picture. I had army tv radio books from my dad, that had pictures of the problems and where to fix them. I was so unwilling to make it worse that I watched that tv with a short tilted picture for 9 years.....

Looks like you are the opposite.

You don't have to learn quick to impress anyone, just enjoy your hobby. And understand the people here mean well even if they don't always express it well...
Old 08-16-2013, 05:02 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
I have never called anyone stupid, and have tried to explain my point in detail in many cases, given my level of writing quality.

I agree with you 100% there should be quality tv repair 101 stickies here. Unfortunately, it does not exist, and some times better answers exist off this site, and there is the added disconnect that new people doing stuff alone with no one watching over them.

And in a lot of cases if you want to find something here you are better off using google to find it than the search from the site.

I don't expect new people to know everything in 2 months.... I may often write using terms they, or you, don't fully understand, fine ask again differently. New people like you also should not take on things that are above their full understanding right away.

My very first tv was a 1959 emerson b&w tv thrown out on junk day back in 1974.... I don't have it anymore, but I have 2 exactly like it. They all plus another chassis I got had bad filter caps. The set I got as a kid had a tilted yoke, and a short picture. I had army tv radio books from my dad, that had pictures of the problems and where to fix them. I was so unwilling to make it worse that I watched that tv with a short tilted picture for 9 years.....

Looks like you are the opposite.

You don't have to learn quick to impress anyone, just enjoy your hobby. And understand the people here mean well even if they don't always express it well...
so at least we agree on one thing, as far as basic information for a noob on tv repair 101, this site sucks ass.

1 article from doug, a very good one in fact, but clearly not for a beginner.

also, directing me to an ebay auction for an item that is for parts or not working, doesn't help me.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Well this site is made up of a lot of people who already have a good amount of knowledge. And the people here are not teachers. And the people here have their favorite brands, and a lot of interest in specific years of sets. You can agree with this or disagree, that is what is here and available to all of us.

Doug has a very good youtube channel, he is very knowledgeable too. There are a few sites set up by people here that are also very good.

Youtube has a few good tutorials on basic electronics, and a few good troubleshooting videos too..... I watched a few of this guys stuff and I like the way he presents stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EjmCWmarwE

But he is not the only one, and a lot of his stuff does not apply here, but the one above is good for us too.

I assume you watched the one I posted about rectifiers and filter capacitors a while back.... Full wave and half wave rectifiers and basically why they have a filter capacitor on them.....
Old 08-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolor View Post
and another thing, where are there stickies on this board talking about tv repair 101. Instead of assuming people now how to read a schematic.
Great idea, but nobody's ever written one. That, and there are so many opinions on the subject.....they run the gamut from restuffing the old caps no matter what the set is, to component diagnosis, to testing each individual cap, to wholesale cap replacement before even plugging it into the wall.

I am of the latter. I replace every cap in the set with a higher WV before I even plug it in, if the set is older than 1960....and everything but the electrolytics before the first power up (unless the set was stored badly) in everything post 1960. Maybe it's not the way that some prefer doing it, but it's worked well for me for many years.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:46 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Great idea, but nobody's ever written one. That, and there are so many opinions on the subject.....they run the gamut from restuffing the old caps no matter what the set is, to component diagnosis, to testing each individual cap, to wholesale cap replacement before even plugging it into the wall.

I am of the latter. I replace every cap in the set with a higher WV before I even plug it in, if the set is older than 1960....and everything but the electrolytics before the first power up (unless the set was stored badly) in everything post 1960. Maybe it's not the way that some prefer doing it, but it's worked well for me for many years.

these should be part of a tv 101 subsection

http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguar...ee%20Chart.pdf

http://www.resistorguide.com/resistor-color-code/

There should be an article. "tv repair for morons"

You should put lazy people like squirrel on double secret academic probation, and alert his local draft board that he is available for active duty.
Audiokarma
Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm pretty much a greenhorn too, and I have to say the capacitor issue gets a little confusing to me as well.

Squirrel boy, one thing I would disagree (in a friendly way) with you is that guys on here are teachers in that people are learning from information you post. There's plenty of folks reading stuff who you'll never meet, see, or ever know about.

Think about a favorite teacher when you were in school. Of course you weren't their only student. They probably taught the same thing, to several classes a day, for years on end. That requires a lot of patience to repeat the same thing over and over again.

I know its frustrating and annoying to you guys that are experienced to answer questions from us newbies all the time. There's probably tens of thousands of posts here and opinions vary even among experts. I haven't seen every post and I don't always know who's right.

Maybe there could be a forum on here just for beginners. There newbies could feel more comfortable asking questions. If the experienced guys want to help out, you could go there and do so and it would be appreciated. If you don't like helping newbies, stay out!

Also, if there were stickies with the basics, you can refer people to them when the same questions get asked instead of having to type it over again. As has been said, there are several guys here that are really good at making videos and some of them already have ones on basics. Maybe they could be listed here too since youtube doesn't have a way to categorized their channels.

Techicolor: have you thought about practicing on radios first? I know your not into them, but there's a lot of similarities. Every Audels book or old TV repairmans course I've seen always started out explaining radios first. If you mess up, there isn't a lot lost. I've had a few ruined radios in my wake. When your done and you don't want to keep them, give them away to friends and family and tell them how great you are at fixin' stuff. The bad ones throw in your worst enemy's yard!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:08 PM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrand View Post
Techicolor: have you thought about practicing on radios first? I know your not into them, but there's a lot of similarities. Every Audels book or old TV repairmans course I've seen always started out explaining radios first. If you mess up, there isn't a lot lost. I've had a few ruined radios in my wake. When your done and you don't want to keep them, give them away to friends and family and tell them how great you are at fixin' stuff. The bad ones throw in your worst enemy's yard!
This is a really good point. Starting with the basics means starting with radios. That's how many of us here (especially myself) started out in this hobby... learned with radios first. As pointed out... if you screw it up, not a lot lost. And actually, there's not a whole lot you can screw up in an old radio. And, because of the fewer parts involved, it means the lessons learned cost less.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 AM
Not sure how I got here.

You two guys make a good point. When I took tv repair in boces part of high school, the first year was radios..... By the end of the first year we all could draw a 5 tube radio schematic from scratch put in the voltages and knew what each part did.... the second year was b&w tv, we only spent a few weeks on color tv.

New-bees often jump right into stuff that is quite complicated, not to mention often jumping into capacitor replacement while the tv still has some problem possibly not related to a bad capacitor.

People here, and me included, are not teachers. Teachers teach why something is happening, the student figures out what part may be wrong with the knowledge he/she has gained. Here often a person is directed how to fix the problem, often without an underlying understanding of what he/she is doing, or why.... I know because I did it just the other day with a person with a sound problem that most likely is an adjustment.... New-bee's also need to be good students and do some learning before jumping into stuff..... youtube has some very good beginning electronics stuff, and even a few people like the post I made earlier about the power supply, where the guy actually does a good job at trying to teach a little about troubleshooting.....
Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

The first time I started replacing capacitors on an old set, I would replace a couple, then turn it on for a minute to see what was up.

Of course, this set had been running fairly regularly.

As I went through the replacement, starting with electrolytics, I could see a difference with each can that was replaced, and I was happy. I was thrilled when sound suddenly came on after replacing one multi-section can.

I've never replaced everything on a chassis.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 AM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
The first time I started replacing capacitors on an old set, I would replace a couple, then turn it on for a minute to see what was up.
I've never replaced everything on a chassis.
Now that is some excellent common sense advice

I'll do that on the sylvania roundie.
Audiokarma
Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 PM
sampson159

dave would always replace something and make notes on any difference.he had thousands of pages.interesting and his notes fixed many,many sets.he was very good at documenting everything.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:44 PM
On Land

I usually approach each set differently.... It also depends on the condition of the chassis before I start. If there's a lot of paper caps, I just change all of them first.

If I feel I can run the set without burning down the house, I will change a little then run in to see the differences.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Not sure how I got here.

If you feel you need to replace all the caps because the set is from 1953 or something, then it is very smart to replace just a few, power supply first, then run the set with the chassis in the set and the back on. Run it for a week regularly, if everything seems stable, do more. Be sure new parts are at least rated proper tolerance, temperature, and voltage ratings... Same as original or better.

If a problem pops up, you need to fix it before you do more.....