Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
I have a '65 Zenith roundie that is still "sleeping".....
My 1965 Zenith roundie is still sleeping too but I'm trying to wake it up. Why don't you give yours a nudge too. What cabinet is your set in? I'd love to see some pictures of it even if it is not working. Zenith roundies are my favorite sets.

You wouldn't happen to have any spare cosmetic parts for one of these like knobs, rear CRT cap, would you?
Old 03-07-2007, 08:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hello to All,

Hi to Wa2ise

you wrote: (i don't know how to use the quote feature)

"Many DVD players can be configured to play the DVD directly in NTSC mode (scan rate and color system). So you can avoid the jutter effects when converting PAL/SECAM to NTSC. Most program material on DVDs are film done at 24fps, so the DVD would just change the 2/3 pull-down rate to accomidate the different scan rate. (I'm assuming that the DVD was incoded at 24fps MPEG2 style).

back in the early days of NTSC color, RCA wanted everyone to start making color TVs and related equipment, and freely gave out the information. RCA would charge nominal patent licensing fees of course. But they would not make any money if they held the information back, as color TV would likely die if they did.

Looks like you need an American Football to European Football (what we call "Soccer") converter.. Or maybe you are converting Soccer to American Football?"

I forgot to mention that i use 2 x DVD players, one of which being permanently in "Country Code 1 USA/Canada" so i don't transcode NTSC movies. Here in France (Europe) players are sold by law as Zone 2, but most sellers will give you the machine's Dezoning code so you can make it operate on any world standard.

The 3rd machine is a Pioneer combo Laserdisk/DVD player as i have an extensive collection of LaserDisks.
For about 15 years, there was a 1 year delay between first showing of films in the US and France, so if you liked a film in the movie house you could buy a US import LaserDisk only 1 or 2 months later. Now, Zone 1 DVDs are not allowed for sale in France IF there is a planned later release in zone 2, but several shops still do "grey imports" for customers they know well and anyway you can get everything you want from mail-order houses on the Internet.

Football/soccer, er not really a fan except at World Cup time....

For Eckhard:
If there is a SECAM specialized site i do not know about it! I am currently working with a producer on a TV documentary on early color and finding anything on Henri de France & SECAM is extremely difficult. With great difficulty we found some material at INA, the state-run national archives, as we had access as professional researchers.

http://www.ina.fr

BTW, since about a year, there are a few thousand hours of vintage French TV documents online for free viewing. Over here, the success of this new service has been huge. Why not have a look at our vintage programs!

We are also in contact with a very aged gentleman who has a SECAM prototype with a US "roundie" CRT and also a prototype grid color CRT whose technology was sold to the Japanese to ultimately bear fruition as the Trinitron

See a picture of the CFT RS-153, a SECAM roundie prototype (circa 1964)
CFT stands for Compagnie Francaise de Television, Henri de France's company. It was later on absorbed by the Thomson (RCA) group.

Best Regards

jhalphen@dial.oleane.com

Last edited by jhalphen; 03-13-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Stupid question-When did France get color TV?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Sandy,

No question is stupid!

Official color broadcasting started on Oct 1st 1967 in 625 SECAM (system L).

There were then only 2 channels. Later on, the first program (819 lines B&W) was duplicated in 625 color on UHF. When transmitters were set up over the entire country (it took 15 years) the 819 line service was closed in 1983.

Today, like England, 99% of terrestrial analogue broadcasting is on UHF.

SECAM L is due for closure in 2012, replaced by DVD-T digital terrestrial.

Methinks political issues will push back that planned cutoff date....

Best Regards

jhalphen@dial.oleane.com
Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

That 819 line service-that's always been kinda fascinatin' to me-wasn't it pretty much in France only? Looks like it was pretty close to being a "de-facto" HDTV system way back when...Was it ever in color, too? Sorry for all these questions...Wow did they handle having 625 & 819 systems at the same time? Was there a switch on TVs to allow viewing of both?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
That 819 line service-that's always been kinda fascinatin' to me-wasn't it pretty much in France only? Looks like it was pretty close to being a "de-facto" HDTV system way back when...
For a simulation of what 819 must have looked like, you could take a 1080i HDTV signal, connect the luma only, no Cr or Cb and mask off about a quarter of the vertical height and whatever horizontally to make it 4 by 3.

How was the sound carrier transmitted? FM? heard some TV sound was done via amplitude modulation. Which must sound horrible with video signal intermod and such... I suppose you could take a little (around 20 dB down) of the video signal and mix it into the audio to simulate poor reception....
Old 03-08-2007, 07:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hello Gentlemen,

819 on a good receiver was really breathtaking. System E gobbled up a whoping 13,75 MHz per channel and video baseband bandwith went up to 8,75 MHz.

During my childhood, i remember clearly resolving the 800 and even 850 points-per-line on the off-air test pattern (see picture) on a good receiver with wide IF bandwith. BTW, this pattern is called the "Chevaux de Marly" (horses of Marly) because of the equestrian statue pictured in the center. It was used for at least 25 years until electronic test pattern generators made it obsolete.

When the 819 service was duplicated on 625 SECAM, program origination gradually moved to 625. To continue supplying the 819 network, the ORTF made a "standards converter": a 819 B&W camera was positioned in front of a 625 monitor! needless to say, image quality really went down the drain...

Dual-standard 819/625 B&W, then color receivers were sold in quantity. The second channel was initially 625 B&W to comply with UER/EBU recommendations. This made it so much easier to exchange programs such as News stories having a unified Euro 625 standard. The second channel started broadcasting in 1964; it then went "color" in the fall of 1967.

The dual-standard requirement made French TVs much more complicated and expensive than other single standard Euro sets. The English had the same problem with the coexistence of 405 & 625.
Convergence on 819/625 color sets was a major headache! my first color TV, an ITT/Oceanic all tube set had 23 convergence adjustments!

Systems E/819 & L/625 are also unique because of the use of positive video modulation and AM sound. The sound being transmitted in the VHF & UHF bands allowed it to be wideband & quasi-FM quality. However, this caused problems later on for stereo broadcasting. In the 90s, France adopted the UK NICAM digital stereo audio system which is transmitted on a separate subcarrier. This solves the issue of hi-fi/stereo sound. Older sets only receive the "legacy" AM mono audio.

Best Regards

jhalphen@dial.oleane.com

Last edited by jhalphen; 03-13-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

French TV sets

Hi, do you have any B&W French TV sets in your collection, or know anyone who has them? I've only seem very few of them in this 7 years I am involved in this hobby of collecting vintage televisions. It looks like that they are almost as rare as true brazilian brands TV sets from the 50's . I've read, or heard somewhere that in the 50's many French people ( due to all the post-war difficulties ) couldn't afford to buy a TV set.

I would like to take a look at French TV sets from the 1950's and if possible at advertising of those sets.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Video
Hi, do you have any B&W French TV sets in your collection, or know anyone who has them? I've only seem very few of them in this 7 years I am involved in this hobby of collecting vintage televisions. It looks like that they are almost as rare as true brazilian brands TV sets from the 50's . I've read, or heard somewhere that in the 50's many French people ( due to all the post-war difficulties ) couldn't afford to buy a TV set.

I would like to take a look at French TV sets from the 1950's and if possible at advertising of those sets.
Hey Captain,

Take a look at this page from Tom Genova's TV History site:
1950-1959 Other French TVs
http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-59-Other-French-TVs.htm

-Steve D.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've contributed to that site before ( see "Other Brazil Sets" ). The French Teleavia is a very interesting concept, amazing how people from different sides of the Atlantic can have the same idea at pratically the same time. Curious how they managed to keep stable what appears to be a heavy CRT. That TV have a very "robotic 50's" looking, it could be a good partner to Robby the Robot from the movie "Forbidden Planet" . Also, looking at the Italian sets, we can see that they had the same idea in Italy, although from the looks of it, appears that the screen of the Italian set was fixed in a single position, it looks like it couldn't turn from one side to another.
Audiokarma
Old 03-10-2007, 08:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello Gentlemen,

Hi Captain Video,

To answer your question, i do not have really old French B&W sets. Space is REALLY at a premium in my central Paris appartment, and life is choices. I go for color.
I do of course have some small-screen Japanese sets of the 60s (Sony, Sharp) which were specially designed for the French market (819/625).

To satisfy your request, i've sifted through my extensive picture database and singled out 27 pictures which in my opinion, are the most representative of French originality in TV design. Sorry, these are not centered on the 50s, but cover all eras from about 1935 to the 60s. The pictures are sourced from fellow collector friends, E-Bay, book scans, etc. There is no possible way to keep track of credits on over 40.000 pictures, so please be forgiving and just consider that the postings are for the enjoyment of all and the advancement of historical TV knowledge. I sincerely hope that maybe some of you will find these sets original and may kindle a desire to have a few non-US vintage TVs.

I don't know if all pictures will post at one go, so if not, there will be a part II, Part III.

One last word, if the design of a particular French TV catches your fancy, the wonderful Aurora Converter/Modulator can convert 525 to 819 and make any of these TVs work.

Best Regards, Pleasant Weekend

jhalphen@dial.oleane.com

Last edited by jhalphen; 03-13-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

More Pictures, Part II,

Best Regards

JH

Last edited by jhalphen; 03-13-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Question

What's the story behind that TV set with the pair of CRTs? An early version of "picture-in-picture", but the 2nd picture is on teh 2nd CRT? Or maybe a form of stereoscopic TV (have polariod filters in from of both CRTs, and require special polaroid filter glasses so only the right eye sees the right CRT, and the left eye the left CRT? But you'd have to be somewhat wally-eyed to make the 2 images merge right...
Old 03-10-2007, 09:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

That TV with two screens is really one of the most unusual things I've ever seen...in the old days, when all around the world the families had only one TV set, it was something that might become really useful: it would avoid husband/wife arguments over switching to sports or to soap opera!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember that dual screen from a thread in the last year. I've seen other 2 or 3 screen sets but I think that is the only one I recall with 2 large, equal size screens.

I like that long legged mini-console, myself.