Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:30 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Don't those globes usually have a cascade multiplier running at line frequency? I don't see why you'd need a flyback from a color set per se, you should be able to get away with one from a B&W set then put a doubler one it.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Resident Lunatic

You're looking at minuscule current here. Call up Arlynn at Heyboer, ask him to wind you a mains transformer 117 VAC to 5 kV at a milliamp or so, and then use a Cockcroft-Walton arrangement to get up to whatever HV you need. Not terribly elegant, but it works, and has for 85 years...
Old 06-09-2017, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

zeno,

Your rough number seem in the ballpark to me. I'd be surprised if someone told me horizontal output transformers
are driven at 10 watts or a thousand watts.

Don't worry about measurement stuff I'm perfectly happy with HV as long as it's low power. I've been messing with
HV AC and DC for a number of years and have remained shock free.

miniman82,

All the globe power supplies I have seen (about seven so far) have been some sort of oscillator driving MOSFET(s)
which directly drive a HV step up transformer, usually an un-gapped flyback style. Cascade multiplier put out DC,
not useful for this stuff.

benmann94,

I'll check out Heyboer. I'm guessing they do coils?

The same comment on the Cockcraft-Walton, DC is no good for driving a capacitively coupled plasma globe.

Cheers.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:30 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Sailer View Post
Miniman,

Don't worry that I will be using up too many flybacks. I only need a few good units. The world seems to have
mostly lost the ability to make good high voltage AC coils so I have to find suitable vintage coils.

Cheers.
And with the dearth of good flybacks for pre-1967 sets, you may find it hard to find one cheap. A good Fly 276, 277 or 308 is hard to find.

I'm like others in my recommendation - for a few microamps of current, look at cheap Black and White flybacks from the tube era, perhaps something for a 19 or 21" set, sure to be rated at enough current for a plasma globe. Without the capacitance of the CRT, they do put out a bit more of HV...we made a stationary 2" arc at a friends house one evening (drive was from an HR Diemen flyback tester ((EDIT: like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HR-STVDST-01...EAAOSw2xRYlU~H ))) and the flyback was from a 19" Sanyo tube B/W set. The fly ate itself, presumably because we didn't load it like the yoke and CRT would normally. Arced to the core, and smoked the paper at the core.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 06-09-2017 at 10:34 PM.