Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 04:36 PM
Banned

Late model Sony Trinitron Spotted outside a Goodwill dropbox...

Hello Everyone Today I was at the local supermarket visiting my bank's atm to make a deposit which also happens to have a Goodwill Dropbox outside of it (the supermarket not the atm) and outside the Goodwill dropbox I see a mid to late 1990s Sony Trinitron TV set (about a 19" set) sitting outside the dropbox (which not only is it a bad thing to leave stuff outside of the dropbox but since they don't take tvs anymore its a double whammy there).

Anyways I was wondering if since Goodwill doesn't even take TVs anymore if it would be OK for me to pick up the TV and take it home with me?
That way it would save the TV from going to the landfill or wherever Goodwill takes their TVs that people Donate through their dropboxes that they aren't willing to take anymore.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Hello Everyone Today I was at the local supermarket visiting my bank's atm to make a deposit which also happens to have a Goodwill Dropbox outside of it (the supermarket not the atm) and outside the Goodwill dropbox I see a mid to late 1990s Sony Trinitron TV set (about a 19" set) sitting outside the dropbox (which not only is it a bad thing to leave stuff outside of the dropbox but since they don't take tvs anymore its a double whammy there).

Anyways I was wondering if since Goodwill doesn't even take TVs anymore if it would be OK for me to pick up the TV and take it home with me?
That way it would save the TV from going to the landfill or wherever Goodwill takes their TVs that people Donate through their dropboxes that they aren't willing to take anymore.
They'll just recycle it. Take it. They won't resell it.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:50 PM
Administrator

The Goodwill here does sell some CRT sets, technically you would be stealing it no matter what Goodwill would ultimately do with it so bear in mind you could get arrested for taking it.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
The Goodwill here does sell some CRT sets, technically you would be stealing it no matter what Goodwill would ultimately do with it so bear in mind you could get arrested for taking it.
I kind of doubt it seeing as NONE of the Goodwills my area sell or take TVs anymore period, they don't take CRT sets or LCD sets, I know this for a fact because I tried to take an old rear projection TV to them to see if they would recycle it and they refused it. So I'm going to guess that its not going to be considered stealing it if its something that they don't even want to begin with.

Last edited by Captainclock; 10-26-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

take it ,they wont care . only thing you have to watch out for is some person see you do it, and call in thinking he is a crime fighter . even if there a sign on the drop box stating no tv's.
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson903 View Post
take it ,they wont care . only thing you have to watch out for is some person see you do it, and call in thinking he is a crime fighter . even if there a sign on the drop box stating no tv's.
That's what I've figured, I'll probably go back over there when the store is closed when there's no one around (probably around 10:30 or so tonight and pick it up) because it would make a good TV for my vintage Video games because of it being a Trinitron and plus it has a nice Jack Pack on the back.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

They'd probably be surprised someone took it whole rather than leaving it in pieces minus the yoke and mains cord.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:22 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
They'd probably be surprised someone took it whole rather than leaving it in pieces minus the yoke and mains cord.
Yeah, that would be MY thought, as well.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you grab that Trinitron, be aware that it's going to be HEAVY! You're gonna have a *FUN* time dragging that sonofabitch home.

And ever after you muscle it into place, then soak in the tub for an hour to relieve your aching muscles, you may discover a couple horizontal lines in the screen. This is normal for Trinitrons. It's part of the aperture grille design they use.

BTW that aperture grille design is what makes the bastard so heavy.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:34 PM
Banned

Well I'll take the thing whole because if it works, I'd be saving the set from an untimely fate that the TV doesn't deserve.
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
If you grab that Trinitron, be aware that it's going to be HEAVY! You're gonna have a *FUN* time dragging that sonofabitch home.

And ever after you muscle it into place, then soak in the tub for an hour to relieve your aching muscles, you may discover a couple horizontal lines in the screen. This is normal for Trinitrons. It's part of the aperture grille design they use.

BTW that aperture grille design is what makes the bastard so heavy.
Well Its a 19" set so it shouldn't be too bad weight wise, at least not compared to the 25" and bigger sets, I was once given a 25" Sony Trinitron set to monkey around with when I was younger (the color went out on it for some reason and wasn't able to get it going so I had to throw it out) and that sucker WAS heavy. I would imagine a 19" set would be much lighter than a 25" set or even a 32" set.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

True... I stopped lugging home Trinitrons a long time ago. Let me tall you the tale of the 32" trinitron I lugged home...

By myself.

I pulled my truck up as close as I could to it, and sort of "walked" it to the tailgate, which I lowered beforehand. Using all my strength I lifted that sonofabitch up about 6 inches...

Nope that wasn't happening.

I squatted down and lifted it using both my knees and back and had just enough strength to set it on the tailgate. I got it secured, then, panting and sweating I made the drive back home.

Then I had to get it into the house... This meant getting it up steps.

A hand truck helped, but getting it up the steps was a slow, exhausting process. Once I got it into the living room, I was done for the night. I took a hot bath and didn't move much for the rest of the night. I was too tired to even plug the damn thing in.

It had some power supply issue or something, which meant I'd need to put it on a bench to fix it. Nope that wasn't happening. I took what i wanted from it, it sat in the middle of my living room for a week until trash day, then I wrestled the sonofabitch out to the curb.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
True... I stopped lugging home Trinitrons a long time ago. Let me tall you the tale of the 32" trinitron I lugged home...

By myself.

I pulled my truck up as close as I could to it, and sort of "walked" it to the tailgate, which I lowered beforehand. Using all my strength I lifted that sonofabitch up about 6 inches...

Nope that wasn't happening.

I squatted down and lifted it using both my knees and back and had just enough strength to set it on the tailgate. I got it secured, then, panting and sweating I made the drive back home.

Then I had to get it into the house... This meant getting it up steps.

A hand truck helped, but getting it up the steps was a slow, exhausting process. Once I got it into the living room, I was done for the night. I took a hot bath and didn't move much for the rest of the night. I was too tired to even plug the damn thing in.

It had some power supply issue or something, which meant I'd need to put it on a bench to fix it. Nope that wasn't happening. I took what i wanted from it, it sat in the middle of my living room for a week until trash day, then I wrestled the sonofabitch out to the curb.
Wow! That's quite a story indeed! Thankfully I don't have any steps in my house except to get to the basement, Which is where the TV is going for my video games, but like i said thankfully its only a 19" set so it should be a little lighter weight than its bigger brethren that I often see set out to the curb or sometimes see at the Salvation Army thrifts (which SA still takes TVs yet surprisingly enough, just haven't seen any interesting models there recently except for a 9" Zenith Cube TV from 1986 that I paid $5 for and it still works perfectly yet).
Old 10-26-2015, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Then there's the time I found a 36" trinitron.

I made a cursory attempt to lift it, then said "fuck it" and drove away.

Going back to that 32" one, part of the problem I had with it was not so much that it was heavy. I mean it was, it easily weighed as much as a full grown man. However it didn't have carrying handles which meant I used more strength trying to keep a good grip on it then actually lifting it.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then there's the time I found a 36" trinitron.

I made a cursory attempt to lift it, then said "fuck it" and drove away.

Going back to that 32" one, part of the problem I had with it was not so much that it was heavy. I mean it was, it easily weighed as much as a full grown man. However it didn't have carrying handles which meant I used more strength trying to keep a good grip on it then actually lifting it.
Well I picked it up without getting caught (there was a cleaning truck going around cleaning the parking lot which kind of surprised me, but I'm thinking he was more concerned about driving the truck around than watching whether or not someone was taking stuff from the drop box, and then there was someone dropping off recycling at the recycling center that was next to the dropbox but they were parked far enough down that I don't think they saw me. anyways you were right that TV was a heavy sucker even for a 19", when I got it home I just left it in the back of my car and just figured I would have a friend of mine help me carry it in tomorrow morning.
Audiokarma
Closed Thread