Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-08-2004, 11:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Substituting Polarized Caps For Non-Polarized Caps?

I need to replace a .22mF 50 v non-polarized electrolytic capacitor in a GE radio that I am attempting to repair. I have a polarized version of this cap available. Can I substiture it for the non-polarized one? I also have a .22 50V ceramic cap available. Would this be a better choice? The cap to be replaced appears to be in the pre-amp section of the radio.

Mike
Old 02-08-2004, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Corrected information

The capacitor that I want to change is a .22mF molded paper, not an electrolytic.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think the best choice for replacement of a .22mfd would be a Polyester Film or "Orange Drop" unit. They are very reliable, durable, and cheap. The best thing going from what I can tell. At least as far as vintage TV and radio repair goes. You dont have to worry about polarity with these although some do have a black line marked on one end. Force of habit makes me want to put that end where the old wax paper jobs had negative polarity markings. I dont think it matters. Another great thing about the type I mention is they are everywhere. Even Radio Slack. Anybody remember when you could get almost anything you needed for readio and TV repair. I think I remember lifetime guarantee tubes. Whats is a tube? You may be asked that by anyone you find at Radio Slack(Shack)today. Time is not a healer in the retail electronics business. The county I live in is lucky enough to have one remaining public tube tester in the one remaining independent electronics business. It is well hidden in the back corner. The owner started catoring heavily to the trick high end car audio "Bling" crowd a few years back and now all that stuff occupies the space that I remember being rows of TV and radio repair stuff. He still has a whole room with the walls lined with new tubes. Oh well the guy had to keep his head above water. The real repair days are long past for the most part.