Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:42 AM
David Thomas

Clegg 22'er Transceiver

Well, I suppose I must be a sucker for operating dead modes. After being active on 6 meter AM, I picked up a rig for 2 meter AM. Clegg built two different versions of these in the 1960's, the "66'er" for 6 meters and the
"22'er" for 2 meters. With a 2E26 final, they put out about 10 watts. Since it uses a pair of 6AQ5 tubes for modulation, it should sound pretty good on the air. I've read that Ed Clegg was very picky about how his designs performed and sounded, and I know I've been happy with the Clegg Venus I've been using on sideband.

I didn't have a crystal that would get me to the right frequency, so I ordered one the other day. Until that comes in, I can't test the transmit function. The receive side works very well. Surprisingly enough, it has a triple-conversion receiver with a Nuvistor tube in the front end as a grounded grid RF amp (high tech for that day in age). It seems to be very sensitive.

The only problem is the lack of activity on 2 meter AM. It will be back on the air shortly, but I might never be able to find anyone to talk to

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clegg 22.jpg (57.9 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by Celt; 07-22-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:14 AM
Peanut Head

Very cool!

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:08 PM
David Thomas

The mailman just dropped off a package containing an 8025 kHz crystal (which equates to a transmit frequency of 144.450 MHz). On a dummy load, my meter shows the Clegg is putting out between 8 and 9 watts.

The tune-up procedure is a little odd compared to most tube type rigs. Instead of tuning for a dip and loading for a peak reading, you adjust the tune, load, and drive for maximum smoke with a wattmeter (or maximum plate current on the built-in meter).

Now that it's on the air, it looks like I'm gonna have to round up somebody here locally to talk to. I listened on my Yaesu FT400DR (which will receive AM) and thought it sounded pretty good. All in all, not too shabby for a piece of 50 year old equipment.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:51 PM
Administrator

I just picked up this transmit VFO off ebay for $25 plus ship for my Gonset Communicator IV. Bonus was it was already recapped!

It plugs right into the crystal socket too, which makes things easy. I have it hooked up to a frequency counter, but I'm not sure yet how drifty it is because, as you said, there's nobody to talk to!!!

Where'd you get crystals from?? I really need some for a Heathkit 2m FM radio...and I wouldn't mind getting a couple for the Gonset as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (36.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-24-2017, 08:40 PM
David Thomas

Hey, I looked at that Ameco VFO on Ebay. I saved it in my "watch list", and promptly forgot to place a bid on it. Those are fairly stable, and should work very well to use in place of a crystal on old 2 or 6 meter rigs. For $25, you got a good deal on it.

I ordered the crystals from Brian Carling at AF4K Crystals. He has a huge selection of FT-243 style crystals, most are $16 each. Fast shipping, and great quality.

Go to af4k.com
Audiokarma
Old 07-24-2017, 08:45 PM
David Thomas

If your Gonset is a 6 meter model, you'll need an 8400 kHz crystal to transmit on 50.400 MHz. The 50.4 calling frequency is a must-have for 6 meter AM operation.

On the 22'er, I could actually use a variety of crystals to get it in the 2 meter range (8.0 to 8.22 kc, 12.0 to 12.33 kc, or 24.0 to 24.4 kc).
Old 07-25-2017, 01:03 PM
Administrator

It's a 2 meter Communicator IV. Pity that there's probably nobody I can talk to.....I don't even have any type of radio that receives 2m AM to check my transmit

I have to say that my romance with old ham gear is slowly coming to an end.

While I love the knobs and dials, and love restoring them back to peak operating condition, I'm learning the lesson that the performance of modern gear is far and away better for the most part. Top left of the first photo is the 2m rig that I've been trying to press into regular use.....a Heathkit HW-2036A. Done quite a bit of work to it too. Sadly everyone on the 2m nets thinks that the radio's off frequency, when what they're hearing is the 833 Hz tone from the VCO that gets into the audio. They were just like that. There's a mod to the radio that takes care of most of it, but after all the work I did getting it up and running my ambition is running out. But obviously it's not a frequency issue.....

A friend gave me a Yaesu FT-2400 that needed work. Amazing! I can access 21 repeaters now with higher transmit power and PL tones!! Needed dial lamps (converted it to LED which was no easy task), and the transmit audio was low, so I replaced the caps in the mic and now all I get is squeal. Ordered one from ebay for $18 shipped.

Once the Yaesu's back and rolling, it might be time to call it quits on the old stuff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1813.jpg (73.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1814.jpg (61.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-25-2017, 04:42 PM
David Thomas

I have the same Heathkit, with a matching power supply, but it needs work. It receives and transmits, but if the volume is turned up more than about 20%, it starts oscillating and won't stop until powered off and back on. I've replaced several leaky capacitors, but the problems still there. I need to pull it back off the shelf, dig in, and fix it. I read about the problem you're having, and yes, I believe that's a common issue with those. That was a really high-tech, state of the art piece of equipment when it came out. Most guys were still rock bound with crystals in those days.

I think old boat anchor ham stuff is fun to restore and use, but I couldn't do without modern gear. I've got new radios in both cars, and in the shack three Yaesu's (FT450D, FTM400DR, VX8DR). I use the vintage AM stuff for a couple of nets, and the Clegg Venus occasionally on sideband, but for regular day-to-day use I couldn't do without modern equipment.

On 2 meter AM, you might find some activity around. Kenwood TS-2000 rigs are popular, and they will do 2 meter AM......if you know somebody locally with that radio you could at least test the Gonset on the air. ARRL says 144.28 is where New York City area AM guys hang out.

Last edited by davet753; 07-25-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:44 PM
Administrator

This HW-2036A has had some serious mods, and I have no idea what they've been done to accomplish. Two extra boards inside plus holes in the top directly over trim pots. I have no idea what the guy did.

I do have an HW-2036A parts unit that you can have for the cost of shipping if you'd like it. I got it with this one. It's complete except the back end past the copper chassis is missing.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:35 PM
David Thomas

I'm going to put mine back up on the bench and do some serious troubleshooting on it. That Heathkit is not an easy radio to work on, there's a lot of crap stuffed into that chassis, and the boards aren't marked on the bottom side.

Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you if I need a parts chassis.
Audiokarma
Old 07-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Well, the Gonset with the VFO is working pretty well! Not that I've had a QSO on it or anything

Wattmeter says she's putting out 22 watts. I have the frequency counter hooked to it for an accurate transmit frequency.....the dial on the VFO seems to be little more than a "guess". It's not drifting on transmit or receive, and even though it's AM I was able to kerchunk an FM repeater about 50 miles away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1839.jpg (73.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-29-2017, 06:22 PM
David Thomas

22 watts is pretty good for that rig, so the final and associated circuitry is likely in great shape. You should be able to hear the FM repeater decently with a little careful tuning. If I move my 22'er off frequency a little bit, the FM repeaters locally sound pretty good. The AM circuit in the Clegg acts kind of like a slope detector.

Wish we lived close enough to have a QSO on 2 meter AM. I talked to a guy across town on 6 meter AM every week, and we tried 2 meters but I couldn't hear him. He could hear me, but way down in the noise. I was using a J-pole mounted on the roof. I should probably invest in a 2 meter antenna with a little gain, or just break down and build a loop and go horizontal for AM.

If you find someone locally with 2 meter AM capability, you should be good to go with your Gonset. My 22'er only puts out about 10 watts compared to your Gonset screaming out with over 20 watts.

By the way, 6 meters was open Thursday evening and I worked a dozen or more stations up your way. I fired up my Gonset G50, and had a pretty good QSO with N2BE in New Jersey on 50.4 AM. He was using a restored Lafayette HA460. I was pushing 27 watts to a home brew loop, and he was pushing 10 watts to a 3-element beam on a 20 foot pole. Not too shabby for tube gear on AM
Old 07-29-2017, 06:24 PM
David Thomas

Before I forget, I wanted to say how good that Communicator looks there in your shack with that Turner microphone. That's a nice looking set up you have there!
Old 07-30-2017, 04:03 PM
Administrator

I'm in Buffalo, at the West end of the state. Wonder if we could QSO on 10M? Unfortunately until I pass my General upgrade, I'm limited to 10M in the HF band. Gotta put up another antenna pole and get a 10M vertical up before fall.

Picked up the Turner at the Batavia NY hamfest for $10. Took me a little bit to get it working because the internal wiring was a mess. Everything you see in that pic is on an old wooden chest that I have sitting on a Harbor Freight dolly. When I want to use it, I roll it right up to the couch, and it's at the perfect height to use

Too many large objects down here for a proper metal desk, but that's on the list as soon as I clear a few things out.....
Old 07-31-2017, 09:35 PM
David Thomas

When 10 meters is open, we could definitely have a QSO there. The problem is finding 10 meters open when we both are on the radio. If you hear DX on the 6 meter band, that just about always means 10 meters is open, too.

I've worked all over the US and Canada with an off-center fed dipole on 10 meters. Of course, most days 10 meters is silent.
Audiokarma