Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Guys
Sorry it took me so long to post. My work has been vary busy and I wanted this 16 inch sears working. Also, Thank you for the info on the sears roundie. I posted a picture of the chassis that I took of it when I first got it. {Thank you Tim}. From what I was reading, I think it is a warwick chassis??
I did a soft start on the 16 inch sears and all went well. After about 10 minutes of run time the horz went off frequency. Way off, The picture did the christmas tree thing. I found a bad 100pf cap and also replaced the other caps in the horz osc circuit. The horz lock is now solid and stays that way after warm up. This tv is weird It looks like the heinz 57 of tvs. Some of the caps are wax-paper and others are mylar, The low value ones {pf} look like resistors. Same thing with the tubes. Most of them look like rca but there are some that I never seen. {3- 6r-p22- color demod and a 5642 -focus rect.} Plus some of the transformers look like the ones in my german radios. All in all this is a really neat set and I still have a lot more work to do to it as I have to get rid of all the wax- paper caps. { I will take pictures of the chassis when I replace them} There is a piece of trim that is missing and was between the front legs on the bottom. I think I would still have it if it was with the set when I picked it out of the trash but I don't recall seeing it.
Sorry about the horrid legs but I wanted the set up off the floor so I could do the convergence. { I was laughing at how funny it looks.} The next thing I am going to do is replace the caps on the convergence board. I did find the sams for this set and doubled checked the # on the chassis with the sams. The model # is 5170 and made in 7-65.
I did go to the etf site and I will give the numbers and info to them when I know for sure this is the correct mn. { Still need to find the back cover to this set.}. The black sears is the other one I have and I thought this set has the same chassis as the wood one but now I am not too sure.
When winter gets here I will dig the black set out and check the chassis #.{ There is a stove and ge b&w in the way.}
Have a good weekend
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poor sears1.jpg (65.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg b b 1.jpg (28.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg b b 2.jpg (34.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg b b 3.jpg (33.2 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by roundscreen; 08-19-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here is a picture of the black sears
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b sears1.jpg (58.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 08-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Administrator

I'm confused, (common for me) Is this a round tube masked off to be rectangular??
Old 08-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundscreen
Here is a picture of the black sears
Another question, What is the set on top of the black Sears?

I have the same set, built by Raytheon but no name anywhere on it.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm impressed by the picture, especially considering that this set was "bottom of the barrel" for color sets when it came out. I agree, that looks like a masked round tube, something I somehow overlooked until Eric mentioned it.

Today I found copies of the 61 & 67 Sears catalogs at the flea market. Too bad, no color sets in the older one but many in the 67. Will have to do some scanning one of these days.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Eric H
The pictures should answer your question . The set on the top of the black sears is a silvertone but I am not sure what year.
bgadow.
I thought the same thing. {bottom of the barrel} but toshiba is a good set.
Also I think the small screen is something that the people did not like about it.
I had a modern 32" toshiba set that I gave away five years ago and it is still going strong and has a real nice picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s c 1.jpg (74.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg s c 2.jpg (78.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg s c 3.jpg (72.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg s c 4.jpg (45.1 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by roundscreen; 08-20-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Banned

Wow!

That set is incredible. I am surprised nobody seems to know more about it. It looks to be a roundie with a rectangular mask. I think that set is a very special one and well worth preserving.
Can that CRT be used inplace of the 15GP22?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:24 AM
console lover

Roundscreen:

Frankly, you're generating some confusion here. The chassis shot two posts above this one shows the back of the little console from which the screen caps were taken. The chassis shot in your post at the top of the page--to the right of the screen caps--is of a different set with a round tube. Can you post a picture of the front of that set?
Old 08-20-2006, 09:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sorry about the confusion. Leave it to me to mess things up.
The chassis at the top of the post is a sears roundie with a warwick chassis. {I think}
I had asked a question about it early on in this thread and I will post a picture of the front of the set when I get home from work tonight. All the other pictures are the 1965 sears toshiba set.

Ed
Old 08-20-2006, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

I moved the sears roundie pictures here. Tim gave me this set to me a couple years ago. It works perfect but the channel master rebuild crt makes this humm noise when warming up. The cabinet is in nice shape and kinda fancy.
Vary nice roundie.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sears roundie 1.jpg (44.2 KB, 58 views)
Audiokarma
Old 08-20-2006, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

So, just to make it clear to everyone, the CRT in the Sears/Toshiba IS rectangular, and is magnetically converged, and cannot be substituted for an electrostatically converged 15GP22.....right? Or am I still confused?
Old 08-20-2006, 09:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Folsom
So, just to make it clear to everyone, the CRT in the Sears/Toshiba IS rectangular, and is magnetically converged, and cannot be substituted for an electrostatically converged 15GP22.....right? Or am I still confused?
A square peg won't go into a round hole
Old 08-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Huh?

Well, as long as we're discussing Silvertones...

If anyone has--or comes across--one of these they'd want to sell, please let me know.

That black one looks nicely similar.

I have NO idea why I want one of these, other than I like the style for some odd reason.

veg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tv.jpg (85.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 09-04-2006, 03:45 PM
<--1956 300B

Roundscreen,

Does your Sears roundie have a plastic chassis? I have a Sears roundie set that has a plastic rather than metal chassis. It is the cheapest thing I have ever seen. I have the cabinet, chassis, convergence board and tuner. The tuner had all the wires cut between the chassis and tuner. It is a project for later on.

polaraman
Old 09-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned

A roundie color with a plastic chassis?

Now I've heard it all! I love to hear of "modern technology" being used way back whenever! I am very surprised at that and I hope to see photos!
Audiokarma