Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:05 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Yes, you can record HD with enough effort and the right set of equipment, but it's still not easy
Many people (including my parents) would tell you that VCR were also not easy to timeshift with.
Quote:
Most ATSC receivers and TVs don't have a firewire port and DVHS VCRs are hard to find.
All cable companies that wanted to be part of the "cablecard, plug n play" mandate are now required to give you a firewire box if you request one.
Quote:
VHS is a dead format anyway.
No question about that. I am a freak in the fact that I wanted this type of VCR to begin with. It is also possible to run a firewire cable to a computer and capture the video that way (unless the content is flagged to be copied once). This is even more difficult. The real question is why VHS is a dead format. I believe it is dead because people would rather use a PVR to timeshift television programs or buy the DVD.
Quote:
When will we see a HD DVD, or Blu-Ray recorder with a built in ATSC and cable ready tuner and outputs to connect to any HDTV?
Most people are not going to wait for these products to come out before investing in HDTVs. HDTVs have many advantages right now over plain old color TVs. Bigger screen size with a much sharper picture mean something to a lot of people. If it doesn't, then I doubt they are going to run out and invest in HD DVDs either.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:46 AM
I love old stuff

I hate HDTV. I hate digital. I love the old televison.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:55 PM
AK Member

Quote:
I hate HDTV. I hate digital. I love the old televison.
Why? Are you opposed to great picture quality?
Old 09-11-2005, 11:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

There is nothing better then uncompressed digital TV. MPEG2 HDTV can be very good but have fast motion in sports or a fast dissolve and it looks noisy. Just because it’s digital does not always make it better. Good analog can be very good.
Audiokarma
Old 09-12-2005, 06:36 AM
I love old stuff

uofmtiger: I'm not oppsoing better qualty, but, but the very good image dosen't give you the feeling of old movies (I hate the movies with very goof image-they don't have the feeling).
Old 09-12-2005, 07:57 AM
THOR

Well as a younger man 36 I don't appreciate the value of old tv's. I remember when if as a kid you had a tv in your room it was black and white. I also remember wrapping tin foil on the antennas and forcing my brother with threats of a beating if he didn't stand there holding them in a certain direction so the picture would come in. I remember how cool it was in the early 90's when I could finally afford a 27" TV I thought I was big pimping!

To me I don't find anything more thrilling than watching HDTV on my 51" HDTV. I even watch awful movies like "White Chicks" just so I can see it in HD
Old 09-12-2005, 10:07 AM
AK Member

THOR,
Your situation is similar to mine. I remember putting a hanger into the broken antenna on my B&W TV to be able to pick up local stations. I also remember that I would go sit down and the picture would be out of whack again. I apparently worked better as an antenna than the hanger.
I do not have any romantic feeling for watching poor quality TV. I prefer watching the older movies on HDnet in HD.
Quote:
MPEG2 HDTV can be very good but have fast motion in sports or a fast dissolve and it looks noisy
The TV you watched was not setup properly (sharpness was probably too high) or you were watching an interlaced HDTV of a very, very fast moving sport. Many of the newer TVs use a progressive signal (720P) and this does not have the one half screen refresh issues that you see on 1080i. Progressive is used by Fox and Espn because of this issue. All of that being said, I still think the picture on 1080i is better than 480i regardless of the fast motion.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Frenchy

<<The TV you watched was not setup properly (sharpness was probably too high) or you were watching an interlaced HDTV of a very, very fast moving sport. Many of the newer TVs use a progressive signal (720P) and this does not have the one half screen refresh issues that you see on 1080i. >>

Also depends (on over-the-air stuff anyway) on whether the network is running any subchannels of standard def material. A 720p broadcast will hardly be affected at all by one subchannel, or even two depending on how much bandwidth they give it. But a 1080i can have MUCH more noticeable degradation (pixelization on dissolves, fast action and flashing) than a standalone HDTV channel. Or you can even see pixelization creeping in on a single channel if they are not giving it the full bandwith (19.2 bps or whatever the max is).
If it were up to me, I would eliminate subchannels when broadcasting HDTV on the main channel, OR just go with 720p if they insist on using subchannels.
If it's a single HDTV channel getting full bandwidth, pixelization is pretty rare except during the occasional extremely demanding material. As for cable I don't have it but I'm sure there are pixelization issues with that as well for the same reasons...Frenchy
Old 09-12-2005, 09:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

The way things are going for over the air ratings I'd be willing to bet we will have very few stations broadcasting full bandwith HDTV when its all said and done. Infact there is a good chance some may use all their bandwith for 5 or 6 standard def channels. There is no rule that makes a station broadcast HDTV. It just has to be digital.
Audiokarma
Old 09-12-2005, 11:35 PM
AK Member

Check out INHD.com
I get INHD1 and INHD2 on comcast.
everything is 1080i
Tons of IMAX movies.
Add a hd dvr and TV will never
be the same for you.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Guncolor
The way things are going for over the air ratings I'd be willing to bet we will have very few stations broadcasting full bandwith HDTV when its all said and done. Infact there is a good chance some may use all their bandwith for 5 or 6 standard def channels. There is no rule that makes a station broadcast HDTV. It just has to be digital.
There was no rule that shows be broadcast in color either. If a network produces a show in HD (for everything, cable, OTA, whatever), I can't see it being LESS likely over time that local stations would broadcast it in non-HD, only more likely. No it probably won't be full bandwidth, but I can't see it being with more than a couple of standard def subchannels, or else the HD would be so degraded people would be calling the station all day. The big networks (they ARE still big, check the ratings including cable viewers too, still are the top 10 shows and beyond) don't want their affiliates showing their HD productions in standard def or badly degraded HD. Another factor is the FCC said cable didn't have to carry those subchannels. After that I notice ABC let their "ABC Now" channel just die on the vine. (The local station has kept it for showing infomercials and reruns of news, etc.)
Old 09-13-2005, 01:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Don't get me wrong I deal with HDTV everyday and it is a whole lot better then 480I but there are some problems with it as well. (Today during the LA blackout we saw some shots in HD from KABC air 7 that were really the best I's ever watched from a chopper) I'm sure it will get better over time as the MPEG encoders are better now and a lot lower in cost. Very very few HDTV sets pick up their signal off air this could really end whats left of free tv in this country when we go digital. The same thing can be said why would a station have comercials on 24/7 but some do. Why would a station air old 3/4 tapes but some do. It just gets down to what makes the most money not always what is right. It's a 300+ channel world now and most folks pay for their TV. ABC is still doing their news plus channel in the LA market. There is even a new NFL HD channel for this fall and Discovery, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax ,Turner, ESPN, and there are more out there and in the works.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:48 AM
Frenchy

<<ABC is still doing their news plus channel in the LA market. >>

Yeah but it's no longer original stuff that was specifically made for this channel, now it's just reruns of local news, informercials, promos for ABC shows, reruns of network news. As soon as the FCC made that ruling the "ABC Now" stuff went away which is not surprising. Not that what they had was anything great anyway, it was rerun up the wazoo all day and night.

<<The same thing can be said why would a station have comercials on 24/7 but some do.>>

Guess I'm just talking about the big six network affiliates, which don't do that (not yet anyway in L.A.) Maybe it will all depend on what the government requires the networks to do - broadcast in good HD, or to do whatever they want and turn the darn antennas off completely if they want. I predict the former but I'm an optimist. Who knows how many people still won't have cable in the years to come and if the affiliates would be defaulting on that advertising $ if they pulled the plug on broadcasting or showed Desparate Houswives in crummy 480i. Plus with the dish systems, you still need to have an antenna/tuner to get the network stuff in HD anyway. Oh well it wilol be fun to see what TV looks like in 10 or 20 years, I hope I'm still kickin'! : )
Old 09-13-2005, 08:05 AM
THOR

I do see a difference from HD channel to HD channel, I have cable HD. I do not watch the two or three local channels that broadcast in HD, except when they do selected sports broadcasts everything else looks crappy. Never any problems with fast motion in sports or anything else, but I read a lot on the internet about RPHDTV setup and also used an HT setup disc to set up my TV. I have seen other TV's even newer and nicer than mine, plasmas and LCD's included, in stores and at friends houses that have PQ's that look like ass compared to mine since they aren't set up right. I believe all this a tubed TV looks better than an RPTV talk is all due to folks who haven't seen an RPHDTV set up properly.

INHD has some of the best looking stuff. I found myself watching Korean Sumo wrestling the other day on INHD just because the picture was so amazing! I hate stock car racing on TV but I find myself watching Busch North races on INHD when they are on just because it looks so cool. I have 3 or 4 movie channels that have HD, HBO for example, and PQ can very from movie to movie with older movies usually the ones that don't look as good.

What no one has mentioned that almost as great as the HD picture is the advent of the technology has also brought on of carriers broadcasting in 5.1 digital sound. Pretty sweet to be able to watch stuff in 5.1 when for the longest time you can only do it with a DVD. The Sopranos in HD with 5.1 sound how awesome is that! Forgettaboutit!
Audiokarma