Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

I sure will. I'll update this thread when progress has been made.. Thanks for the info..

Jeff.. I don't believe we get any of those UHF channels in around here anymore. I believe they all have disappeared, at least the last I checked..
Old 05-31-2012, 04:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Oh I missed the question you asked about a tube tester.. I'm on the lookout for one.. I'm looking for something cheap that will test all tubes.. I was looking at a B&K 747 on a local CL ad, I called the seller too late.. It was sold already.. I see a few of these models on ebay.. I'm sure as hell am not going to spend $300-$400 on one either..

Last edited by tvcollector; 05-31-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

green and blue drive fully CW

Red,Green,Blue screen fully CCW

Bias Switch fully up

service mode

I don't recall if the brightness setting has to be set to a start point.

turn up one screen at a time until you just see the line, then back off until it just disappears. do this for all three screens.

if any one color can not be displayed start over but move the bias switch down one postion (its a 3 pos switch) try again on the weak color, if you still cant get a line then move bias down one more.

All that being said I would not worry about the setup untill you get the vertical working.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

I did just that, with the bright turned all the way down.. With those settings the TV displays a dim blue and red.. I turn up red and i get a nice red line, I turn red back down and turn up blue and get a nice blue line, I turn blue down and turn green up and green turns up only when the bias switch is turned to the down position.... I guess this is a problem with the set being un restored at the moment and not the picture tube.. I was able to get a very good reading with the green gun with the Sencore CR70.. The blue gun is what I was concerned about and it comes up strong with the bias switch being all the way up.. I must have shocked components back to life because the electolytic cans are not getting hot anymore, and able to keep the TV running as I adjust settings.. I guess after a few power ups and downs must have help it..

Last edited by tvcollector; 06-01-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:27 AM
On Land

That's a really groovy looking set!! I dig that cabinet style. I have a CTC15 that's in a very similar cabinet, but has a different design over the speaker area. Mine is VHF-only, and missing the cover that goes over the brite/hue/color controls.

Don't spend a lot of time trying to get your screen controls in the right place. Without new electrolytics in there, you're kinda wasting your time. And, the more you run the set with the old lytics in there, the more of a chance there is for one of those old lytics taking a dump on you and possibly frying something in there like a power transformer. Then you'll really be unhappy.

Good luck with the resto... you should get really nice results with that set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CTC15Vislanda.jpg (88.5 KB, 44 views)

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Audiokarma
Old 06-01-2012, 10:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ya, I'm done running the set for now.. I like your CTC 15.. There was one on Ebay we were just talking about with that same cabinet (with UHF)...

Whats with the Spam in this thread?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
Whats with the Spam in this thread?
Perhaps someone thought the little blue pill would increase blood flow to the screen controls!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Now that's funny... I'm also looking for a Sams photofact and/or the original service manual for this set.. Id rather find someone on here who may have an extra copy to sell rather than download a copy from the sams website.. If anyone has any, send me a pm...

Charlie you have a beauty there.. Is yours restored?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:33 AM
On Land

No, not restored yet. I started on it and got a half-ass decent picture on the screen, but it had some issue in there that was eating my lunch. About that same time, I moved, and most of my sets went into storage for four years. I brought them all home this past year, but haven't really played with any of them yet. I have a long list of roundies waiting for me to give them some attention.

At the time I took the above photo, the set was pretty dirty and the PVA completely let go of the 21FJP22. There was absolutely zero effort involved in getting the safety glass removed from the CRT. That stuff is really kinda yucky when you clean it off. It's like some kind of funky jelly!!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

You're in the same boat as me, I have no room and paying a BIG storage bill to keep things in storage.. I have room in the house for two consoles, maybe three.. I roomate with the mother, and you know how those things go.. I have a couple of early solid state stuff that needs to be restored.. I was fortune enough to find this set.. Being in South Florida, I was shocked the moment I saw this on Craigslist.. Color roundies don't really exist around these parts...
Audiokarma
Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
Jeff.. I don't believe we get any of those UHF channels in around here anymore. I believe they all have disappeared, at least the last I checked..
Analog UHF TV as we used to know it is gone, never to return, so the UHF tuner on that set is useless. I don't even think it would work for digital TV after all, due to the difference in standards (NTSC vs. ATSC). I wouldn't even try to free up the mechanism, as you probably wouldn't see anything much on any UHF station anyway nowadays.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:21 PM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
...so the UHF tuner on that set is useless.
Not entirely... I think some areas do have some low-power UHF analog stations still operating. I was recently connecting a mid-90's set for a friend using a digital set-top box. Just for giggles, I ran the TV tuner thru the auto-program function prior to connecting the digital box. I was surprised to find a station tuned in somewhere around channel 14 or 15. The picture was snowy, so it was either distant from somewhere like Houston, or it was a low-power local to our area. In either case, it was there. I'm kinda curious to find out exactly what it was.

Also, some set top boxes for Dish or Direct will operate on a UHF channel. The Dish box i use can be picked up on analog channel 67. That could be desirable for a roundie since many of the last roundies used transistors in the UHF tuner instead of tubes.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I was surprised to find a station tuned in somewhere around channel 14 or 15. The picture was snowy, so it was either distant from somewhere like Houston, or it was a low-power local to our area. In either case, it was there. I'm kinda curious to find out exactly what it was.
Perhaps KIBN-LP in Lufkin... Religious programming ?

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...=0&facid=28961

jr
Old 06-01-2012, 04:51 PM
On Land

Good guess, Jr, but at the time I was in Orange, TX... that's a good 3 hour drive from Orange to Lufkin.

After playing with the link you provided, I found there's a few LP stations in the area. There's a channel 18, and it's range would just barely extend to the location i was in. Also found a Spanish station and a MyTV station in the analog UHF range. Interesting. Just goes to show you never know what might be out there.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

There was a few low powered stations in my area, one was a Spanish station I believe and something else I can't remember.. The last time I check there was nothing.. So I think the low powered stations in my area are gone.. We can always buy a transmitter and broadcast from within our houses to what ever UHF/VHF channel you desire.. Transmit a DVD or even your digital converter box..
Audiokarma