Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:00 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

The "bow tie" is a phased connector for the signal. This antenna is tuned for a specific UHF channel, and is normally used with the elements horizontal and the main boom pointed to the station. I think the end pointed to the station should be the lower end as you have it mounted.

The way you have it, you will get some reception from stations in the direction into or out of your wall.

Edit - you did say channel 13, so that's probably what it is tuned for
Old 06-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Followin' the Rules...

A lot of discussion of this very subject over on another forum - most of the antennas built by forum members look like the one shown. I built a similar one, and can say they work great in my area (Norfolk-Portsmouth-Suffolk VA).

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 02-05-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/index.htm

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:41 PM
DTV blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmuri View Post
Whoa, I got one of those from RatShack quite a few years ago at a clearance. $6. I replicated it with 12ga. aluminum grounding wire for the elements, and aluminum window screen for the reflector. Worked great.

Thanks for that link. I just may build another one of those my own self soon... my present combo VHF/UHF/FM RatShack antenna was their smallest available when I first got it, and it's just adequate, even with an amplifier.

Tom
Old 06-21-2008, 11:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
you did say channel 13, so that's probably what it is tuned for
That would make sense. The little green box connected to it advertised KCPQ and their new "Movie Channel." Coax from this antenna was connected to a much larger antenna in the attic.

Phil Nelson
Audiokarma
Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
Whoa, I got one of those from RatShack quite a few years ago at a clearance. $6. I replicated it with 12ga. aluminum grounding wire for the elements, and aluminum window screen for the reflector. Worked great.

Thanks for that link. I just may build another one of those my own self soon...
Tom
Looks like a worthy project to me. Interesting that they compared their double-bay version to the Channel-Master 4-bay 4221. It raises the question, "Why not build a 4-bay Gray-Hoverman?". I think I might give that a try. Any thoughts on how best to connect them? An 8-bay? 16? Is bigger better? Does size matter?

Of course a multi-bay antenna probably won't work indoors, which the original topic stipulated. A single-bay ought to fit ok, for example the foil one given as an example that was wall-mounted. Sure looks easy to build.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:31 PM
VK Member

Phil -

Another antenna that works quite well for DTV is the Philips (used to be Zenith) Silver Sensor. It's a UHF log-periodic that comes with its own tabletop stand and doesn't take up a lot of room. I was planning on building one of the antennas with the reflector when a co-worker loaned me his Silver Sensor, and from what I've read, it compares favorably with the reflector-style antenna.

I'm about 35 miles from the broadcast towers and have the antenna pointed out my front window. I get about 85-90% signal strength on all Chicago channels and can even pick up one out of Gary Indiana if I rotate the antenna 90 degrees.

-Jim
Old 06-22-2008, 10:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...om=Large#xview

Old 06-22-2008, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
OK, here is what I built, using copper wire, screws, a precut piece of metal from the furnace section of Home Depot, and a stick from the garage.

The lead-in connects at the middle terminals, as per the plan.

It seems to be marginally better than the funky antenna that I found in the attic. With careful positioning, I can receive a couple of stations that had occasional dropouts before.

Not the miracle antenna I was hoping for, but maybe I'm already receiving much or all of what someone can reasonably expect in this location. Some stations come in just fine if you disconnect the antenna and touch your finger to one terminal of the lead-in.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UHFAntenna.jpg (74.6 KB, 65 views)
Old 06-22-2008, 07:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like your reflector could be out of phase. The Gray-hoverman has it 3.94 inches behind the plane of the active elements. The website you modeled after uses the wide dimension of a 2X4, which I think is around 3.75 inches. I bet someone out there can show us the math, but if I'm looking at your antenna correctly, it looks lke you used a 2x2. If the reflector is too close (or far), it's out of phase, and the reflected signal, instead of augmenting the incoming signal, will interfere with it instead -- do more harm than good. Don't know if this will help your antenna or not, but might be worth looking into.

Audiokarma
Old 06-22-2008, 08:34 PM
DTV blows

Looks like the driven element is indeed too close to the reflector... and that's the first I've noticed the top and bottom bays with crossed feed lines. I would think that perhaps that would end up cancelling out incoming signals?
Tom
Old 06-22-2008, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Also, the main 2x2 looks kind of metallic (gold). Might just be the photo, or maybe paint. If there's anything metallic about it, the whole antenna's one big short.

The crossed feed lines are curious, but correct. This channel-master looks to be the same design:

and the bays are cross-fed similarly. I don't know the math behind it, was hoping one of the experts would chime in...?

Old 06-23-2008, 01:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, I used a 2x2 rather than a 2x4. Didn't realize that that dimension was important, but again, I know nothing about antennas.

I painted the stick with nonconductive brass-colored paint. Don't think that's an issue.

It's easy enough to rebuild it tomorrow with a 2x4 in place of the 2x2 stick. If the difference between (nominal) 3.75 and 3.94 inches is critical, I can probably find something -- like a strip of cardboard -- to shim it up, at least for testing purposes.

Thanks for the advice!

Phil Nelson
Old 06-23-2008, 03:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's version 2.0, built with a 2x4 shimmed up so that the bowties are just shy of 4 inches from the reflector.

It does work better. I pulled in 6 additional subchannels, compared to version 1.0.

Too bad it's so fugly. Not exactly what I had in mind for this small indoor TV room. Maybe I'll have throw caution to the winds, bore a hole in the wall, and weatherproof it to mount outside.

Phil Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UHFAntenna2.jpg (87.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 06-23-2008, 05:12 PM
DTV blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmuri View Post
Also, the main 2x2 looks kind of metallic (gold). Might just be the photo, or maybe paint. If there's anything metallic about it, the whole antenna's one big short.

The crossed feed lines are curious, but correct. This channel-master looks to be the same design:

and the bays are cross-fed similarly. I don't know the math behind it, was hoping one of the experts would chime in...?
Son of a gun, you're absolutely right. Thank you for that.
Now I'm trying to figure out which is better: crossed or uncrossed.
Here's another call for experts to lend their knowledge on this, please!
Tom