Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Slave to a blue dog

By the way, no need to apologize for your English, you speak 3 languages!

Last edited by Gianni; 07-19-2007 at 07:26 AM. Reason: <<<<<< ...and follow my advance in English... right and philologic; are you bothered by my CAPITAL TYPES? :)
Old 07-19-2007, 01:31 PM
zenith mad

According to what is on the brochure of the set, the tube has a sealed darkened glass on its faceplate. It doesn't seems a bonded type and it has not the classic yellow halo around the hedges. As we in Europe made wide use of push through picture tubes we had the need for tubes having the tube sides completely smooth. American tubes used to be placed inside a mask hiding corners.I heard about x rays issue on older tube type televisions but I think early color tvs all suffered from this kind of emission. Here in Europe there were mainly two kinds of horizontal and eht stages. One used a single horizontal/eht transformer and it also used a similar 6BK4 (PD500)tube to stabilize the hv. The other kind of circuit used separate horizontal and eht tranformers each with its proper driving tubes. This circuitry didn't need to use a high voltage stabilization tube. All this stuff was obviously put inside metal cages and the hv rectifier and ballast tube were commonly labeled with "x-ray" warning.
Gianni, I don't think simple pal was a flop, it was more a variant of NTSC. It is capable of good pictures. The main problem of the simple pal are the so called hannover bars that show up on particular colors such as yellow. Anyway who is
Argeo Deotto?
My Kuba portacolor has exactly the same chassis and picture tube as the Telefunken you mention but aesthetically it's quite similar to the original GE portacolor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAVE0130.JPG (142.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg SAVE0131.JPG (88.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-19-2007, 01:35 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
Somebody, in this forum, affirmed there are no simple PAL TVs from industrial factorys ( not from craftsmen ), apart from Kuba and Telefunken sets with 11SP22 cathode ray tube.
SONY for example built simple PAL receivers. Simple PAL with a good antenna input is as well as PAL with delay line. But you have to adjust the PAL hue control before.

- Eckhard
Old 07-22-2007, 05:39 AM
slave to 3 equines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
Yes.

in some European sets from 70s there is a similar device, a "plastic glass", almost black (!)
The dark glass or plastic of some 60s and 70s European sets was meant to avoid daylight reflections on the crt's face and improve the contrast, not for implosion safety purposes...

The dark glass was also very hard on the CRT as it had to be run at much higher brightness levels.

Actually, most european sets (both B/W and color) made after 1964 had rimband type integrally protected CRTs, the only exception is the Italian Philco factory, which continued to make sets with unprotected CRTs and separate safety glasses into the early 70s
Old 08-10-2008, 10:50 AM
que trabaja pierde tiempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritwi View Post
Hi everybody! I finally got a genuine Zenith roundie!
It seems it has been modified to receive the Pal standard (the small unit just at the left of the chassis). I really can't wait to pick it up! From the pictures I seem to read it has a 24MC32 chassis. Is there everyone out there who can give advices and informations about this set? I would really get the best from it !!!
All the best
Marco
Hello!
this zenith color tv set you have bought up and bay? the seller was in northern italy remembrance....
fernando from florence.
Audiokarma
Old 08-10-2008, 11:06 AM
que trabaja pierde tiempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwick View Post
I bet the chassis of this Zenith was assembled in Italy (or heavily modified here anyway)... because apart from the PAL color system, the set has to work with our 50 hz mains and our 625/50 system

if i'm right, there are probably Italian glass-encased capacitors in place of black beauties and wax caps under the chassis.

Francesco
certainly all color TV set zenith which were sold on the Italian market were assembled in Florence by the company elettronica M. Montagni. boxes arrived with all the components and assemble them to Montagni workers , I remember seeing in years 70 to 80 boxes packed full of components now abandoned stock, but with the flood of the river mugnone went all lost. Curiosity .... many of the workers who worked in assembling the Zenith color TV now working as technicians television in some Italian TV. in attach pic of mr Montagni, tv color Zenith in Montagni office, (1978) and Montagni building
fernando

Last edited by firenzeprima; 03-10-2009 at 02:56 PM.