Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

That CTC-20 does seem "portable" like the "portable" dishwasher my mother had in the late 1970s. I wonder how many doors that cart will fit through? My house has 30-inch-wide doors.

Today's newspaper had two more Harbor Freight coupon sheets in it; the most I have seen is three sheets in one paper in December shopping season. They are becoming the AOL discs of the 21st century.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-04-2012, 02:29 PM
<----Zenith C845

I had a friend in my home town whose family had an RCA color set like the one we are discussing (I recognized the control panel). Their set, however, IIRC, was in a large and heavy console cabinet and probably had a stereo record changer plus AM/FM radio.

This particular TV chassis must have been used in several different styles of RCA TVs in the '60s-'70s -- consoles as well as table models, with the former having a separate stereo amplifier chassis through which the TV audio (as well as that from the TT and AM/FM tuner) was routed. Not such a good idea, IMHO, as when the amplifier failed for any reason it not only silenced the stereo audio, but the TV sound as well.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

CTC19 is the portable. CTC20 is the same except the flyback and horizontal output is more like the ctc16. The 19 uses a rectangular tube.
Its the budget roundie chassis, filled with 6GH8s.
Kinda rare and worth getting in any case.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote: "That CTC-20 does seem "portable" like the "portable" dishwasher my mother had in the late 1970s. I wonder how many doors that cart will fit through? My house has 30-inch-wide doors."
When I moved my collection down the hall to a new room the biggest trouble I had were with the roundies. I had to remove the back from the CTC-5 & CTC-11 and then carefully maneuver them through the doorways. My new room has 36" doors on purpose!

Last edited by bgadow; 03-04-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: fix what I messed up
Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Motorola Minion

That Philco at $299 was a true bargain due to the transistors from the tuner to the 1st video.

A roundie today is worth so much more but $250 is alot IMHO for a newer one, however I do see the point of a good CRT. I have a CTC12A with a worn-down 21FJP22 and a CTC11 with a strong 21FBP22. I had some others that got away due to a cross-country move long ago.

I do remember when these sets were put at the curb and they were free. Now they are few and far between, that's a hard one to accept.
Audiokarma