Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Administrator

I'll be going to Dans to get the parts set next Sunday, I have to make another stop in Moorepark to pick up a Bakelite Emerson I won on eBay so it's going to be a lonng day, 244 miles round trip according to Google.

Meanwhile I haven't done anything to the super clean chassis except order some Electrolytics and some Orange Dips.

The cabinet OTOH is nearly done, I stripped it, stained it and tried several times to use some of the oddball Toner I bought to refinish it, each time I wound up removing it all because it looked funky.

Tip, when you find lots of Mohawk Toner at the thrift store it's probably there for a reason, like it's ugly!

Finally I just stained the Veneer sides with Dark Walnut Minwax and Toning the Oak trim with the small amount of Walnut Brown Toner I had left from a previous project.
It's not perfect, certainly not original but it looks nice, more like a 70's Console than an early 60's.

I didn't fix the big scratches on the top, it would have required a whole new piece of Veneer, I did Steam them up somewhat and lighten them but there are numerous pock marks all over the top anyway so it's somewhat futile. It gives it that "Antiqued look" Like it was beat with an Axe or something.
That's what A doily is for I guess.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Here's a couple pics of the cabinet, I want to get some 0000 Steel Wool and dull it down a little but it looks OK.
The legs aren't on it yet, I still need to do those, they are four different colors right now, I was using them to test the Toner.

I put the CRT in upside down first try, easily fixed but annoying.

Put the chassis in and fired it up, I was disappointed to find that it hadn't
fixed itself.
As soon as I get my Admiral done I'll toss this up on the bench and recap it.
It'll be nice to do a PC board set for a change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silvertonerefinish1.jpg (43.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg silvertonerefinish2.jpg (22.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

looks nice, good work on the cabinet.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Eric have you tried one of those new-fangled sanders from 3M called a Sandblaster? In spite of its name you can get a correct pad for it which is the equivalent of 950 gauge steelwool. Since the Sandblaster presents a flat surface to the cabinet you're working on, it produces a much flatter finished result than steelwool in the hand. I found it either at the Do-it Center or at OSH. It works well. I used it for my Admiral 30B1 with really nice results. NOt very expensive!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Administrator

I had a really busy and long day today!

First I went to Dan's (a.k.a. CTC17) house to pick up the Silvertone parts set, it's providing a back, a full set of knobs in great condition and a face plate that is much superior to the one I have, the tube surround has a slightly better "Color" logo so I might use that too, plus any other parts I might need for the chassis, it has a fully working chassis so if I ever need a flyback I'm covered.
I had hoped to use the grille cloth but it has a single 4" speaker and my set has a 6x9 so it's wider.

I'm undecided if I should use the Gray Channel plate or the original Brass one?
The gray one is in very good condition but is kind of plain, the brass one was all bent up and worn, I straightened it out and brushed it with some sandpaper where I could to eliminate the scratches but I can't do the whole thing without removing those really cool Atomic star-bursts that are silk screened on.

I also picked up a couple of B&W sets, one from eBay and the other from CL, I'll post about those in the Early B&W Forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silvertoneknobset.jpg (31.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg silvertonefaceplates.jpg (26.8 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Eric H; 01-29-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Did a little more on the Silvertone today.
First I made a new Grillecloth.
I took some leftover fabric from another project and put it on the speaker board, then, since it was way too light I took some Mohawk Van Dyke Brown Toner and sprayed it lightly, several coats until it looked about right.

Installed it in the cabinet and it's an excellent match! Not the same as original but an effective replacement I think.
I also put the speakers back in the cabinet, all except the right tweeter, the wires are supposed to go in front of the CRT mount (before the CRT is installed) so I'll have to unsolder them to do that.

The back I got from Dan is nearly a perfect fit, from the chassis side over it's the same but it's about an inch shorter, so on the right side (viewed from the rear) it ends right at the inside edge of the cabinet. I can leave it alone or I could glue a couple small blocks inside the cabinet so I can attach it.

I also salvaged the Tube Chart from Dan's set, good thing because mine is missing.
I plan to scan it, clean it up a little (though it's in pretty good shape) and reprint it.
If anyone else needs one let me know, should work for an RCA 11 too.

For a set that looked really bad it's come a long way.
Note: the legs need to be put back on as soon as I refinish them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010247.jpg (24.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Someone here asked if I would have an extra brass Escutcheon around the Fine tuning knob, yes I do but I can't find your Message or E-Mail, please contact me again.