Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Soft turn on for old color unit for color??

I know variacs are good for gradually turning on older color sets to protect caps. Has anyone devised a solid state soft turn on device for these that can handle 350 to 500 watts needed power handling for old color. Please post info. if available, I really want several of these as just simply turning on a roundie, knowing it's surge current protected every time , be a would be a nice setup without having to fiddle with a variac, cleaner too. A nice power up time would be gradual 0 to 120 volts AC over a time period over several minutes. Variacs are also getting hard to find & expensive. Please post insight on subject.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:23 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

You have to remove the Horz. output for a soft start. I could see that being a pain everytime you wanted to watch Gilligan on a roundie.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine
You have to remove the Horz. output for a soft start. I could see that being a pain everytime you wanted to watch Gilligan on a roundie.
If it were several minutes yes but how about just a 5 or 10 second ramp -up to full voltage? Seems like that would serve the same purpose without stressing anything out.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:05 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

If the caps are good, a slow turn on over a few seconds (before the filaments get warm enough to bring up the sweeps) is OK, but over several minutes is not a good thing. Some horizontal output circuits will draw excessive current if the supply voltages are not near nominal. So, the very slow turn on should only be used in the beginning, with the HO removed, as a way to TRY reforming the caps. It's not necessary or wise when everything is working OK. The few-seconds turn-on may be life-extending, but by how much I'm not sure. Anyone have real info on this? Some brands of TVs used to advertise that they had this feature, but anything that was put in a set and then advertised may have been there half for real effect and half for advertising claims.

I would worry more about monitoring the line voltage and adjusting it to nominal rating.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

keep in mind that unlike it's modern counter-part the power supplies have a massive power transformer to help buffer surge voltage, the modern switching power supplies are hand out to dry every time you turn them on.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

if you ever put a volt meter on the filter caps it take a little bit for them to come up to full output
Old 01-16-2006, 09:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you want to test for shorts I have found the series light bulb of about 100 watts to be best.

If a tube type set is used much it really needs new electrolytics and rectifier diodes and not trying to "baby" the old ones...and you won't have to worry about a cap failure at turn-on. Have seen too many shorted caps and diodes in TV's, even late 60's models.

The CTC-10 or 11 uses some kind of a varistor to limit inrush current, but if you have good new caps and diodes it should not be a problem even without one.
Also in sets with a degausser I think the degaussing circuit in the B+ directs the turn-on surge current through the degauss coils and this helps counteract the surge.

Last edited by Chad Hauris; 01-16-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Frenchy

Some sets had a thermistor built into the tv-end of the power transformer circuit, to reduce the initial surge into the set... so maybe if a set's circuit didn't have one it could be added? My ctc-10 had one but it was bad and I just removed it from the circuit.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:28 AM
Electronics Accumulator

Once the filter caps and rectifiers are replaced, I can't see any reason to worry about damage. I mean, if you're replaced critical power supply components, then the power supply should be good as new, and these sets were designed to operate this way. If you haven't replaced the filters, then it's really just a matter of time before you need to replace them, and I don't know if trying to soft start the set every time will really help prolong their lives. Also, you don't want to damage the HO tube - these are much harder to find than the electrolytic capacitors are!

-Ian
Old 01-17-2006, 09:44 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Inrush current at turn-on...

As I saw it, the Thyrite in the CTC10 was there to limit the filter cap initial charging current, protect the power supply diodes that have to pass the high current surge of the filter caps, and even as a secondary benefit, the on-off switch sees much less turn-on stress. It also gave me a warm fuzzy when I watched the #47 lamp ramp up to full brightness in the two seconds or so that it took, because all the filaments were slow-starting too. To me Thyrite is a Stress Tab for electronics.

Last edited by Pete Deksnis; 01-17-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-17-2006, 11:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

In a 1960 Motorola bw set I have there is a device which does something, though I'm not sure what. I think this is the "Tube Sentry". I have an extra that I found in a junk box. It seems to delay application of voltage or ??? Maybe somebody knows what I'm talking about.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Deksnis
As I saw it, the Thyrite in the CTC10 was there to limit the filter cap initial charging current, protect the power supply diodes that have to pass the high current surge of the filter caps, and even as a secondary benefit, the on-off switch sees much less turn-on stress. It also gave me a warm fuzzy when I watched the #47 lamp ramp up to full brightness in the two seconds or so that it took, because all the filaments were slow-starting too. To me Thyrite is a Stress Tab for electronics.
Anybody know of an available online source for a suitable replacement for this part? It is a thermistor, 79 ohms (cold). thanks
Speaking of switches, the switch in my hair dryer went bad this morning, I could see flames shooting out of it thru the white plastic housing. It finally quit and I finished drying my hair (which now smells like a burned transformer!) and then I unplugged it, ran water thru it and tossed it, time to buy another one!

Last edited by frenchy; 01-17-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

You guys are awesome

Thanks for fantastic information on this.

Does anyone have several thyrites or varistors I can buy from?? Please PM. I was hoping a few seconds would be good enough. Wouldn't this help promote a longer life for ALL tubes, including CRT?? I was looking into this also to limit as much surge current going to CRT as possible to try and extend service life. Does varistor go in power transformer primary circuit, or somewhere a take off in secondary, for a gradual power on for B+ voltages??

Last edited by vintagecollect; 01-17-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Frenchy

[QUOTE=vintagecollectDoes anyone have several thyrites or varistors I can buy from?? Please PM. I was hoping a few seconds would be good enough. Wouldn't this help promote a longer life for ALL tubes, including CRT?? I was looking into this also to limit as much surge current going to CRT as possible to try and extend service life. Does varistor go in power transformer primary circuit, or somewhere a take off in secondary, for a gradual power on for B+ voltages??[/QUOTE]

On the ctc-10 it is just wired in series with the main voltage coming out of the transformer and into all the filtering caps etc. Don't know if it would give longevity to any tubes, unless for some reason filaments are known to last a bit longer if they are brought up to full power slightly more slowly than instantly (?) Don't remember if the voltage for the filaments is even going thru the varistor to begin with, it may not be.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Audiokarma