Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting Sears set looks kinda like a portacolor

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SEARS-PO...item483fdaf04f

This is an intersting Sears set. It is kinda styled like a GE portacolor. Wonder who made it for them?And what year is it? And since I don't see solid state on the front or the no user serviceable parts warning on the back believe it has tubes inside also.

Last edited by JCFitz; 04-03-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

That is interesting. I am gonna guess about this cause it will be fun to find out from others that know whether my educated guess is right or not.

At first I thought it might be made by GE for Sears from memory of what the Portacolor looks like but the side and back look quite different making me think it was a japany copy intended to get some of the sales that might otherwise go to the Portacolor which might have been outa production just before it came out. It looks like a '72 version? Prolly a leader cheapy set. I think it is a great find and prolly will produce a reat pic when restored.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

About 20 years ago, I was given one of these sets by a TV repairman and I ended up junking it. IIRC, it was a solid state 9" set that used a delta gun CRT.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:12 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

That set is an early Seventies set built by Sanyo. It is all solid state and far outperforms the portacolor. It has an instant on CRT and is about the same footprint as a portacolor. These sets are quite well made, rather heavy and have a very pleasing color picture. It is well worth having at a reasonable price. Like nearly any 1970s transistor tv it is rather cramped to work on though.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Administrator

It's probably the ancestor to this 1977 set, also a Sears and probably made by Sanyo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sears1.jpg (13.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg sears2.jpg (10.1 KB, 7 views)
Audiokarma
Old 04-03-2011, 02:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Sears set does look interesting. It does remind me of a "dog" set that kept coming back into our shop back in the late 70's. What a POS that was, and it WAS a rebadged Portacolor. Set was a Truetone, which was a Western Auto brand. It seemed that EVERYTHING from Western Auto was crap. Portacolor weren't that good anyway, but slapping that Western Auto badge on it must have been the final curse.
We had a few Coronado's (Gambles) and the portables were at least rebadged Toshiba's. It would be interesting to know how those companies decided what vendor they would use for their TV's. It seemed the portables were always rebadged Japanese sets, and the consoles tended to be Wells Gardner.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh, Truetone! I have a friend, who fixed their TV's until sometime in the early '80's and I've gathered a little information from him.

Most of the consoles were made by Wells-Gardner in both tube and SS forms. There were also some Admiral built consoles. I've seen the WG sets playing at his house and they had a nice picture; but, I don't think they were very reliable. I think the biggest problems were with the power supply, triplers, and the SCR based horizontal output stage.

Many of their B&W and color portables were rebadged Sharp Linytron sets. These had nice pictures; but, I saw an awful lot of them (both B&W and color) with a toasted flyback transformer.

And, lets not forget GE. I remember seeing one 15" GE built solid state color TV from the early '70's and what a POS that was. It used an inline CRT and I think it used the same, or similar, chassis as the porta-color II's. GE also built some SF chassis tube B&W sets, some XB chassis solid state B&W sets, some AA chassis "porta-color III's", and those dreaded EC chassis 19" sets (that should all be in the dumpster).

Speaking of GE, I think the only sets they made that stood the test of time were the porta-color's, the little XB chassis solid state B&W sets, and the PC chassis sets that were used in their '80's era consoles and 19" portables.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:34 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I have one of those. It's a solid little set, made by Sanyo, and solid state.
See what I mean about the cramped quarters? Reminds me of Sony small screen B&W sets of that era.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Me likey ! Any y'all gonna go for it ? If not, I might, but if anyone else wants it, I'll pass.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Didn't Kamakari have one of these? I remember an old, old thread almost identical to this one. Just noticed the seller is in Canada, which sure hurts the final price. But, hey, Uncle Sandy has got the loot... Watch that feedback, though.