Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Stuck in the past!

1999 Sony SLV-M91HF vcr problem

Just got this one in and it played great through 2 movies, then through every movie I play, about half way through on every one, it starts stuttering every few seconds and increases to nearly constant distortion per every other second with slur in audio like it's trying to hang up or being pulled or speeding up for a split second each time. Sometimes, running the jog dial backwards a few seconds and letting it play back corrects the problem for awhile but it comes back in time. But that so far has only worked twice out of maybe 5 or 6 tries. Is this a lubrication issue or dirt? When it plays correctly, it's clear as heck. Also, could it be an overheating issue or friction? If it'll help, I'm going to be posting a youtube video of it running after it starts messing up. I should have it up in a few days and can put link here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171211_212336.jpg (60.7 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by pac.attack76; 12-11-2017 at 09:28 PM. Reason: photo added
Old 12-12-2017, 09:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi. When a tape goes past the middle of it, the torque requirement of the capstan and pinch roller increases. So, you may have excessive tape back-tension or the capstan shaft and pinch roller are slipping. Another common problem is that the tape can stick to the head drum. So make sure the whole tape path is clean. Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

I once had one of the early Sony VHS VCRs which had a direct drive capstan motor. Once it got hot, the capstan would start binding up. You could see it stop, the video would freeze frame and the Hi-Fi audio would buzz. I think the flywheel/magnet for the motor was warping and getting hung up on something. I got it to work for a while by putting some washers on the flywheel side of the capstan but it continued to get worse.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:25 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm1200 View Post
I once had one of the early Sony VHS VCRs which had a direct drive capstan motor. Once it got hot, the capstan would start binding up. You could see it stop, the video would freeze frame and the Hi-Fi audio would buzz. I think the flywheel/magnet for the motor was warping and getting hung up on something. I got it to work for a while by putting some washers on the flywheel side of the capstan but it continued to get worse.
I had direct drive capstan Sony Betamax VCR that would randomly stop, and giving the capstan a push would get it going again (if you were quick enough to beat the CPU's freak out mode where it would stopping playback). It would do it once a minute or so once it was good and warm. The mechanics were fine, but the unit had a surface mount lytic on the motor board that was bad. Changing that lytic got continuous play out of it, but I burnt the plastic tone ring on the side of the wheel soldering the cap in (it is read by an audio tape head to give the motor control chip feedback for speed regulation), and that caused tracking issues....It could play for as long as you wanted but the picture was crap.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-31-2017, 10:47 PM
Stuck in the past!

Had to give up on this one. Put a new pinch roller in and it worked great through the first tape. Second tape made it almost to the end and is started slipping again.