Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Resident Lunatic

General Electric 15CL100

This is Colin Woods' set I believe, the one I had a tentative deal for and had to back out of due to major logistical issues on my end.

The current price is a steal, check it out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282453534738
Old 05-02-2017, 06:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, that's his. I saw it Sunday when I picked up some other items from him. There will be logistical problems on his end as well. Damn stairs!

Old 05-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Resident Lunatic

My logistical issues were a wee bit bigger: how do I get it to Oldenburg without having to sell a kidney? It's just so big. At least the Motorola 21CT2M is about the size of a tabletop color set...

It's a nice set, it makes me wish I could move back stateside sooner.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Resident Lunatic

$1825. Not a great price for Mr. Wood, but not terrible considering how soft the market is.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:30 PM
M is for Memory

Man, I just paid more for my 21CT55...Then again I rather have a set with a good 21AXP than a set with a bad 15GP.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 05-10-2017, 05:48 AM
Administrator

I went to a tick over $1500....I admit I bid half heartedly because I figured it would sell for a lot more than it did.....
Old 05-10-2017, 07:58 AM
Resident Lunatic

I put down a token bid for $1800. I'd have just given the cash to my half-brother Mike or my brother-in-law Steve and then paid one of them to pick it up. I'm sort of glad someone sniped me at the last minute.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Bob Galanter

It was won by a friend of mine. I will let him reveal his name is if he choses to do so.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 05-10-2017, 02:07 PM
console lover

If it's who I think it is, it couldn't be in better hands.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Bob Galanter

A GE 15CL100 Lives again!!!

I spent Saturday 1/6/18 with the new owner of this set. He has acquired a good 15GP22 from a kind collector who was willing to part with one of his coveted good spares. I will not mention his name but this generous collector has our eternal gratitude.

The new owner of the set has completed a complete recap of the set, including re-stuffing all the cans.

Upon initial power up the set had a raster but within a minute or two the raster disappeared.

I am sure all of you know that horrible sinking feeling when your HV goes down. The first thing we all think of is "oh no I hope the flyback has not taken a dump" and in the case of a 15CL100 this would be a catastrophic event, because there are no replacement flybacks available for this set. It used one specific to this set.

So Saturday was spent running down the reason for no HV. Although visually the flyback looked very nice, that is never any guarantee that it's good. It ohm'd out nicely so that was an encouraging sign.

Scoping the waveforms in the horizontal oscillator section was encouraging and showed that we had the correct waveform at the grid of the 6CD6 pair.

We replaced the pair of 6CD6 HOT tubes because they tested marginal and the new pair gave us more of a corona on the plate caps but still not anything to brag about.

The set uses a voltage trippler design similar to the CT100 and 21CT55 but has some odd ball rectifiers, 2V2 and a strange shunt regulator made by GE just for this set. All of these had been replaced with NOS tubes. After some considerable farting around which wasn't getting us anywhere, we decided to start disabling the rectifiers in the trippler circuit. We pulled the 2nd and 3rd stages of the trippler and VIOLA we had about 12KV, with sparks flying all around. Then we enabled the 2nd stage again and it popped up to about 18Kv. But when we enabled the 3 stage, it dragged us back down to nothing. Our conclusion was that the 2000PF 30KV doorknob was leaking. Often a bad doorknob will get rather warm (a sure sign that the DN is bad) but this one was not getting warm at all.

I just happened to have a couple replacements at home in my inventory from when I restored my CT55 (which also had a bad one of these 2000pf 30KV doorknobs.) I usually buy estras of strange parts like this to have on the shelf, because you always have to special order them. Something I learned from my dear friend John Folsom. John's motto is "it's all about the spares" A good motto to live by if you are serious about this hobby.

The replacement doorknob is metric threaded and of course the old GE parts that screw into the DN were Inch thread. So I made some mods to the old GE hardware so that the hardware could be adapted to the new metric threaded DN.

When the set was fired up we got a nice 25KV. The shunt regulator ckt is not working so we still need to address that issue.

The plastic hub on the fine tuning knob was completely broken off of the knob that came with the set. Upon digging through my extensive knob collection, I was able to find an exact replacement that needed some minor fixing. I machined a copper sleeve to place around the plastic hub of the knob and cemented it in place with JB Weld. To make sure that the JB Weld did not ooze into the hole that the shaft goes into, we coated the brass knob shaft with a thin film of silicone grease and inserted the knob onto the shaft. When the JB Weld was cured the silicone grease allowed the knob to slide off of the shaft very easily.

So, progress is being made and here are some photos showing that it is producing color at this very early stage. It still needs work but we are confident that the remaining issues can be addressed as time passes.

The last photo is the GE (on the right) next to the Stromberg Carlson K1 that came from Ed Reitan's collection, for comparison. The photos do not do justice. They look far better in person.

EDIT: Suggesting that this thread might be more appropriate if moved to Early Color Sets

Edit: Photo added
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GE2.jpg (69.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg GE1.jpg (59.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg GE3.jpg (40.2 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg GE and K1.jpg (56.9 KB, 94 views)

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com

Last edited by ohohyodafarted; 01-20-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-10-2018, 11:58 AM
BigDavesTV

Wow, that's great to see! Looking very well on it's way, nice looking set, and I believe it's the first GE, 15GP22 set, that I have ever seen working in any fashion, I'm not sure I have seen one at all, except in a picture! Fingers "crossed" for continued success on this restoration, and looking forward to more pic's someday.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:30 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Looks like a great start. Lots of I and not much if any Q, by appearances. Did this set use I/Q demods like the RCA?

Illustrates the unmentioned reasons NTSC chose the I/Q axes other than the always mentioned one of higher eyeball color resolution on I. Decent people-pics can be obtained with I only. Q axis colors (green and purple) are instantly recognizable as wrong.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Very nice!
Old 01-10-2018, 03:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

1954 newspaper article for the GE 15CL100 color receiver courtesy ETF site:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg General_Electric_15_CL100_Cropped.jpg (91.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 01-10-2018, 07:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would be interested to hear your thoughts about GE making the Hue/Tint control a rear panel screwdriver adjust control. Is the tint stable enough that you don't need to adjust it often? Is the crystal ringing oscillator circuit that stable?
Audiokarma