Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Need help with listing cameras used by Aussie TV networks

G'day all.

I have decided to do a database list of all TV cameras used by Australian TV station networks as I'm interested in knowing all the different types of cameras that have been used over here. I have so far gathered up a reasonably good amount of data on what stations used what especially the major metro TV networks, however there is still big gaps and I was wondering if anyone here could help me fill any of the gaps?

I have placed my database listing on my vintage video website on this page http://www.troysvintagevideo.741.com/cameralist.html . I have pretty much strictly kept my listing to the older tube type broadcast cameras as it would take a long time to go into all the other broadcast gear like film cameras, telecines, videotape recorders, transmitters etc... I have also listed below the oddity cameras we used for experimentation and specialized non broadcast purposes. Anyways I have noticed from the info I have, Australia has pretty much imported cameras from all over the globe in the olden days such as UK brands like EMI and Marconi and PYE, German brands like Fernseh/Bosch, USA brands like RCA and AMPEX and Japanese brands like Ikegami and Hitachi and Sony, these days with CCD technology I guess all cameras around Australia are Sony's. I hope to get this database more complete and discover more different makes and models of TV cameras used in this country.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

TVQ - TK60 then TK44 or 45 - RCA all the Way from cameras to antenna
BTQ - Mk VIII + LDK-2 secondary
QTQ - TK11/31 then Fernseh 3" I.O. then LDK5 + LDK2
NWS (SA)- Fernseh KCP-40 ? would be interested if you can confirm this

Last edited by NewVista; 02-11-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the QLD listings. With QTQ I assume you mean TK-11/31 not TK-11/41?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh! better make that 11/31. Am finding out about ABQ
Old 02-06-2011, 10:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cool thanks. I believe ABQ would of likely used Marconi MKIVs during the B&W era as my friend James Paterson has an ABC Marconi MKIV which came from QLD.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

ABQ - Marc mk IV then mk VIII cams + Marc Xmitter for City & (AWA -RCA clone- Xmitters for regionals)

Last edited by NewVista; 02-11-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bloke View Post

I guess all cameras around Australia are [now] Sony's. .
Have you noticed the Ikegami's on David Letterman - look sharper than Sony's IMO, yet only make 1000 lines H resolution (Would have to have 4K chips to make the full 2000 lines I suppose)

(edit)
My above statement not quite true because Ikegami spec of 1000 lines is reasonable given Kell Factor -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kell_factor.

But studio cameras (given what they cost) should use 2K X 4K chips for improved subjective results -
Also, they should sample at 120P frames (maybe some do) so that there can be reduced artifacts from 1080p>1080i>1080p

Last edited by NewVista; 02-11-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Gudday Troy [?],

I can fill in some gaps for WA, and make a few corrections...

ABW's three studio KCU-40Bs were last on-air in 1989, I know because
I bought them soon after [and still own them]. The five 40Bs in OB lasted a few more years.

TVW had eight LDK5's, one LDK15 and NO LDK25s. Several of these are preserved in WA. Later about six Sony BVP-360 - AFAIK the last SD tube cameras made in the world??

STW had at least six Pye Mk Vs. I have the oldest one [lowest serial number] in my collection. One other is in Wireless Hill Telecommunications Museum but not on public display.

STW went colour intially with four ex-LWT or Thames TV Marconi MkVIIs [I own one, one other proudly displayed in Wireless Hill]. Later they moved on to Fernseh but with different models in each studio! ~3 KCP [one inch] in news, ~3 KCK [1.25"] in 'the barn'/OB and ~3 KCU [1.25"] in Com Prod.

NEW didn't go on air until well after colour so NO B&W cameras for them!

BTW [now GWN] had two Sony BVP-360s which replaced the TK76/760s you mention.

VEW started with a TGL [Aussie made!] TVCS 10 B&W camera.

GTW used a few Philips LDK-14s with studio VFs as required.

That's probably enought to keep you busy for now
Old 06-04-2011, 06:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodronics View Post
Gudday Troy [?],

:
What was the best tube camera in your opinion ?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Gudday Troy [?],

I bought them soon after [and still own them]. The five 40Bs in OB lasted a few more years.

TVW had eight LDK5's, one LDK15 and NO LDK25s. Several of these are preserved in WA. Later about six Sony BVP-360 - AFAIK the last SD tube cameras made in the world??

STW had at least six Pye Mk Vs. I have the oldest one [lowest serial number] in my collection. One other is in Wireless Hill Telecommunications Museum but not on public display.

STW went colour intially with four ex-LWT or Thames TV Marconi MkVIIs [I own one, one other proudly displayed in Wireless Hill]. Later they moved on to Fernseh but with different models in each studio! ~3 KCP [one inch] in news, ~3 KCK [1.25"] in 'the barn'/OB and ~3 KCU [1.25"] in Com Prod.

NEW didn't go on air until well after colour so NO B&W cameras for them!

BTW [now GWN] had two Sony BVP-360s which replaced the TK76/760s you mention.

VEW started with a TGL [Aussie made!] TVCS 10 B&W camera.

GTW used a few Philips LDK-14s with studio VFs as required.

That's probably enought to keep you busy for now
Thanks for all that great info, I have updated my camera list page adding and correcting with this info you provided http://www.troysvintagevideo.741.com/cameralist.html .

I am very interested in knowing more about that Aussie made TGL TVCS 10 B&W camera, do you have pics of it and is it an image orthicon camera or vidicon or single plumbicon tube? And do you know of any more Aussie made cameras used at TV stations?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

VEW-8's Aussie TGL was Vidicon, its in the collection of a friend of mine. I'll bring this web-site to his attention and see if he wants to fill you in with further details

I've noted your updates, still a few errors

STW's Marconis were all retired in 1978. That's when their Fernsehs entered service, not 1974. [Although I guess there was some overlap?]

BTW TVW's one and only LDK-15 went to SAS for use as an overhead camera on Wheel of Fortune. It never returned to WA.

More to follow...

Last edited by Woodronics; 06-08-2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Correcting typo: TGL not TCL.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bloke View Post
I have updated my camera list page.. http://www.troysvintagevideo.741.com/cameralist.html .
Enjoyed surfing this again, very enlightening.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

I bought them soon after :
Wish I had a few, best camera on the planet, but not sure how reliable they were.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I guess I have a pro-Fernseh bias as owner of three KCUs but in reality the Philips LDK-5 was far more technically advanced for a camera that was the main competitor to the KCU for many, many years.

Whilst the camera heads were of similar size and mass, the KCU required 8ru of heavy rack gear just to power it up, and another 4ru if you wanted a PAL composite signal. The Philips could be powered from mains at the camera head and output a composite signal from same. Telemetry [CCU control and sync timing] could be done over a phone line from a mile away. So picture a remote camera at a golf course OB, 500m from the OB truck, portable generator nearby and just a coax and 2pr phone line running between them! The KCU can't compete there :-(
Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

how big was the racking for the KCU-40 cameras? - For a while i had one of the Bosch/Fernseh color flying spot scanner telecine machines here and it had the hugest and heaviest rack of electronics i ever saw

sadly i had to part with the machine as it needed 3 phase power and other work and i just didnt have the space for it...would have loved to had a KCU-40 camera, they were common at GTV9 melbourne right up until about 1993, not sure what happened to them all - i think most were trashed
Audiokarma