Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:12 AM
AK Member

Roundies

Hello to all, TV man Fred here.

I've been servicing televisions since I was 16, I'm pushing 50 now.

Getting a bit tired of doing it after all these years, so I'm getting into something else.

All that aside, I have three RCA color televisions from the 1950's, gathering dust, a CTC 5 console, a CTC 7 console, and a CTC 7 table model. I also have a bunch of tubes lying about, a '51 Motorola B&W console, an early '50's Admiral B&W chassis with a 10 inch CRT, and a mid sixties Warwick color TV chassis.

I am looking to find them, the aforementioned chassis, and the tubes new homes; not at this time, but sometime after the new year.

I have other stuff available too, a Sansui quadraphonic receiver; a TEAC reel to reel, Motorola console stereos with reel to reel tape decks, and so forth.

I'll post an email address later to provide further info, each unit will go to the highest bidder; I'm located on the eastern shore of Maryland.

Until then, Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-14-2008, 02:15 AM
Mark

Welcome to the forum! I might be able to get the CTC7 console, we'll see. Lets talk next year. Merry Christmas to you too!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 12-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV man Fred View Post

I'll post an email address later to provide further info, each unit will go to the highest bidder; I'm located on the eastern shore of Maryland.

Bryan (Bgadow) - right up in yer neck of the woods!

Fred,
Welcome to the forum!

Cheers!
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Let me know about that CTC5 and its' model number. I could use that one! Julian

All that aside, I have three RCA color televisions from the 1950's, gathering dust, a CTC 5 console, a CTC 7 console, and a CTC 7 table model. I also
Old 12-14-2008, 12:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Hello to all, TV man Fred here.

I've been servicing televisions since I was 16, I'm pushing 50 now.

Getting a bit tired of doing it after all these years, so I'm getting into something else.

All that aside, I have three RCA color televisions from the 1950's, gathering dust, a CTC 5 console, a CTC 7 console, and a CTC 7 table model. I also have a bunch of tubes lying about, a '51 Motorola B&W console, an early '50's Admiral B&W chassis with a 10 inch CRT, and a mid sixties Warwick color TV chassis.

I am looking to find them, the aforementioned chassis, and the tubes new homes; not at this time, but sometime after the new year.

I have other stuff available too, a Sansui quadraphonic receiver; a TEAC reel to reel, Motorola console stereos with reel to reel tape decks, and so forth.

Happy Holiday's Fred and welcome aboard. Very interested as well. Are any/all of the RCA's in working condition?
Audiokarma
Old 12-14-2008, 12:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I could take good care to the Ct5 andI will fix to factory Specifications.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yep, Fred, you've woke me up with this post! I'm in Federalsburg. I've been trying to locate and talk to all of the repairmen out there but I know I've missed a bunch-you included! I don't have much in the way of money but rescue all I can. Look forward to hearing more; I may know some other local folks interested in the non-TV stuff.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:02 PM
VK Member

I ran across a Motorola Stereophonic console with a Reel-to-reel tape deck in a thrift store for $10.99. Looking for an excuse to buy it - the wife would probably have a fit, but it's just so cool, and in perfect condition visually.

Looks just like the one here, except lighter in color:

https://www.myu.umn.edu/metadot/inde...5&isa=Category

Can anyone tell me whether this is has a tube amp, or is it solid state? It looks a bit too modern to be tube based.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg console.jpg (7.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 AM
AK Member

Motorola Stereos

I'd say she's solid state, probably a '66 or therabouts; more than likely a relative of an SK520CW, especially it it has a VM reel to reel tape deck. Looks similar to two I have. I'd buy it if I were you, they were damn good machines.

My father owned one of these babies when I was a kid - they called them "Motorola 100s". Turntable, AM-FM Stereo, and tape deck. Also came in TV/Stereo combinations using a TS-915 (Motorola Quasar) or TS-921 TV chassis. Didn't sound too bad, maybe 15 watts RMS per channel into 16 ohms, used 10 inch woofers, 5 1/4 midrange tweeters, and a pair of exponential horns that one could turn on or off using a blue colored rocker switch. They loved to blow the midrange tweeters, dad ended up buying four replacements in all, and I now own the very machine he left behind, an SK528DW from '67. Sits in my den with several dilapidated Zenith Transoceanics; haven't played her in decades.

Incidentally folks, I forgot to add that I have a pair of TS-4 Motorolas from 1949 occupying a dusty corner somewhere - you know, the little table models that had channel 1. They're rather common, so that shouldn't surprise anyone here.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:04 AM
AK Member

Motorola Stereos

I'd say she's solid state, probably a '66 or therabouts; more than likely a relative of an SK520CW, especially it it has a VM reel to reel tape deck. Looks similar to two I have.

My father owned one of these babies when I was a kid - they called them "Motorola 100s". Turntable, AM-FM Stereo, and tape deck. Also came in TV/Stereo combinations using a TS-915 (Motorola Quasar) or TS-921 TV chassis. Didn't sound too bad, maybe 15 watts RMS per channel into 16 ohms, used 10 inch woofers, 5 1/4 midrange tweeters, and a pair of exponential horns that one could turn on or off using a blue colored rocker switch. They loved to blow the midrange tweeters, dad ended up buying four replacements in all, and I now own the very machine he left behind, an SK528DW from '67. Sits in my den with several dilapidated Zenith Transoceanics; haven't played her in decades.

Incidentally folks, I forgot to add that I have a pair of TS-4 Motorolas from 1949 occupying a dusty corner somewhere - you know, the little table models that had channel 1. They're rather common, so that shouldn't surprise anyone here.
Audiokarma
Old 12-15-2008, 01:09 PM
VK Member

Quote:
I'd say she's solid state, probably a '66 or therabouts; more than likely a relative of an SK520CW, especially it it has a VM reel to reel tape deck. Looks similar to two I have. I'd buy it if I were you, they were damn good machines.
If only it were that simple I would have bought it when I first saw it, but gotta consider the WAF. It's a really nice looking piece of furniture, would love to put some modern components in it. The wife has one of those old department store Sony fake-component rack systems in the living room, I haven't been able to convince her to replace the POS with a decent set yet.

Thanks for the assistance, I was kinda hoping it had a tube amp, I hear the old Motorola tube amps were decent.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicks View Post
I hear the old Motorola tube amps were decent.
They were more than decent I think, the '62 model SK77W-2Z I have sounds better than most consoles. The sound is very loud, clear and lifelike. The 15" woofer really shakes the house. The amp uses 6 6V6's, 2 for each channel. When I turn it on, it usually stays on all day after that There are some pictures of it on my picturetrail.
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 12-15-2008, 02:20 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Nice way to move a thread totally off-topic...

Beware this Chicks guy... He's planning to gut this beautiful stereo for "garage speakers", ugh.

I can't imagine how somebody with the ability to remove speakers wouldn't know how to tell if something was tube or SS, so more than likely the whole aborted mess will end up in the trash.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Mark

Yeah, I agree, there's no way I would ever gut a Motorola stereo. They sound so damn good.
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 12-15-2008, 04:35 PM
VK Member

Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. I have lusted after a beautiful piece of furniture with immoral thoughts regarding its insides. I shall do penance.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, and thanks again for the info...
Audiokarma