Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Curbside at VideoKarma

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Small mid Century Emerson combo on eBAy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-50s-...item4841a09211

Mansfield OH
Old 08-19-2011, 11:09 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Cute!
Old 08-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Mark

+1

Kawaii desu!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 08-19-2011, 02:03 PM
<----Zenith C845

The seller cannot get a picture on the TV in this combo (assuming the set works otherwise, such as producing a full raster and receiving snow on unused channels) because analog TV has ended in the US, and he may be trying to get reception using just the set's built-in antenna. The set will work with a converter box and a proper antenna, of course, but the seller does not seem to realize that. However, if by "cannot get a picture" he is referring to no raster or some other problem unrelated to the set's signal circuits (sweep, HV, etc.), it may be an easy repair, just by changing a tube or two.

BTW, the record changer in this combo looks like a rebadged Glaser-Steers changer. I recognized it because my dad had one almost exactly like the one in the combo in his stereo system in the late '50s-'60s, the only difference being that my dad's GS changer was black on a black base. This changer had a feature not found in other record changers of that era: the "Speed Minder", which sensed the size of the record(s) being played and would change the turntable speed accordingly; for example, if a stack of records containing a variety of albums/singles, including 45s, was put on the changer, it would sense the size of the 33 1/3 LP and set the speed to that value; when that record ended and the changer sensed a 7" 45-rpm disk, the Speed Minder would change the turntable speed accordingly. The sensor was a metal piece shaped like the number 4, just behind and slightly to the left of the tone arm; it gently touched each record just before the changer released it to the turntable, after which the mechanism changed the speed.

Until I saw the changer in the Emerson combo we are discussing, my dad's GS changer was the only record changer I had ever seen which set turntable speed according to record size. This was truly a unique and probably one-of-a-kind system; as I said above, however, the changer in this combo was probably a rebadged GS unit -- which leads me to another question. Glaser-Steers almost certainly had a patent on the Speed-Minder feature of its high-end record changers; how was it possible to rebadge these changers without running smack into patent infringement issues?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 08-19-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Glaser-Steers had contracts to manufacture changers for several companies. I've seen them badged as Capehart, Packard Bell, Emerson, Philco and Heathkit. I'm sure there were a few more. Eventually, General Electric bought them (1964?) and killed off the GS-77. I believe the G.E. built changers were based off of the GS-3000 model, which operated much like a V-M of the day.
Audiokarma