Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does anyone remember the F.R.E.D. from Recoton, a small add-on stereo decoder box that would attach to a set? It had a little probe that you would stick to a sound IF can and it would decode the stereo via RCA outputs to an amp. It sounds perfect for this/these combo sets...if it is still useable in todays digital box world. I don't know if any cable box analog output still carries MTS stereo. I may still have one around here somewhere. I never throw anything out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqJ,!hwFEDVsTqGpBRM!eq,9hw~~60_57.jpg (22.4 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Dave A; 09-13-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-13-2014, 11:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Alas, set top boxes only modulate over RF mono audio. You would need a BTSC stereo encoder to get the stereo through the antenna connection of a set.

With analog cable nearly extinct, and NTSC OTA all but nigh gone I doubt that analog BTSC (MTS) TV stereo is still available anywhere.

Last edited by Penthode; 09-13-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:16 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
Does anyone remember the F.R.E.D. from Recoton, a small add-on stereo decoder box that would attach to a set? It had a little probe that you would stick to a sound IF can and it would decode the stereo via RCA outputs to an amp.
Dave-

Yes, I remember those, and I think I have one in its box in my storage as well, along with a couple of other stereo-TV decoders.

The catch is, very few in-home devices or modulators were ever made with stereo sound (BTSC) encoders. A few of the high-end big-dish satellite TV receivers had stereo modulators, and there was one Radio Shack stand-alone TV modulator with stereo sound (as opposed to the many mono ones with stereo audio input jacks that are still common).

There should also be outboard MTS encoders intended for use with commercial modulators like the Blonder-Tongue ones out there, too.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 09-15-2014, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Got the set inside this evening. Here is what I know. There is a Sylvania RE21FBP22 CRT. But it is weak. Have done no other tests on the tv section. The radio will pick up stations, but performance is poor and volume is low. Only get sound from one side of the amp. All controls really dirty and the sound that I do get is not really great. The record changer works, sort of. It lifts the arm up way to high to tap the record, but it will set down in the right place if it does tap a record. Probably need a new stylus as well. Volume from phono is much louder than the radio, but again not as clear as it should be. I will probably test the tv shortly since the crt while weak should still make some kind of picture.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

TV produces no HV and no audio. Also notice the dial indicator lights for the tv tuner do not work. The tubes all light up, but nobody is home. I will let the CRT cook for a few hours one day when I am here to watch it. Don't want to leave it unattended.
Audiokarma
Old 09-22-2014, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pulled the radio chassis out tonight. What a pain. I found the cap in the -15volt source was bad. I think this was the cause of low output from the tuner. It appears that the right channel output transistors may be bad. There are several caps in the amp that check bad. so I will change them and take the transistors out to check them. All the controls need a good cleaning. Imagine that. I will have to figure out how to power it up to make voltage checks. I think two pins of the molex connector supply the AC. On the TV side not so good news. The CRT is extremely week, and it is not wakeing up. Looks like I will need another CRT. This one should make a picture, although it will not be good. I have not checked, but i dont think the TV chassis comes up due to bad degausing componants. I have tube filiments, but no B+. Plan is to get the radio/amplifier up first. Then I will tackle the record changer. It will need a cleaning and adjustment, as well as possibly a new cartridge and stylus. It sort of worked. I will have to find out why it lifts the tone arm so high to tap the record, but otherwise the changer part is working, and it seems to be running smooth and close to the correct speed. Cartridge output may be a little low. More to come later.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:01 AM
BigDavesTV

Hi Bill, those record changers in the older Maggie's, are made by Collaro, in England, and rarely need much to get them going, mechanically, aside from cleaning and re-lube. The "record tapping" is a strange looking, but normal function, to index the tone arm, to land on the record correctly. I've found that the solid state Astro Sonic, used cheaper caps, that need replacing. I have one that I've cleaned all controls, have it working and sounding nice, except for FM Stereo, it's fine in mono, but I have to re-cap the FM MPX section. Over the years, I've owned several Magnavox tube stereo consoles, and a couple solid state Astro Sonic models. They look and sound quite nice, for what they are, when repaired. Best of luck with your restoration, I hope the TV section is an easy fix.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

check the instant on switch. B+ has a relay as well. Lots of wires involved in the power up of the tv.

see if turning off and on the instant on is controlling the filaments.

Noise in the transistors on the preamp is a common problem. You can trace it with a scope.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:02 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

CRT with no cataracts? may be a later replacement, so more likely to be in decent condition - fingers crossed for you!

Oops - didn't see your report before posting, for some reason - sorry about the weak CRT

Last edited by old_tv_nut; 09-23-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Actually the CRT is the FBP22 which has a seperate safety glass. Instant on is off. Since I will have to find a better CRT the TV will have to wait. I was going to do it last. The record tapping issue is that it raises the tone arm about 2 inchs to high to tap the record. It works ok other than that. If I hold my hand up above the records and it taps it then it wil set down on the record in the correct place.
Audiokarma
Old 09-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

That story is WILD. SOMEBODY wanted YOU to have that set..
Old 09-24-2014, 08:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, you should have seen the look on the lady's face when I told her where it came from. There aren't to many color sets that show up here I don't know about since my wife and I both look for them. I may have to loose part of the hearth in front of the fireplace to put it where I wanted it though.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

those maggie chassis are odd (at least the one I have) its like a CTC-15 but with the power trans and the flyback swapped. Other than that the pcbs seem like RCA's.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:11 PM
"Book em Dano!"

I'm looking at one almost like it tomorrow
http://boise.craigslist.org/clt/4678969521.html
Old 09-25-2014, 06:27 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
I'm looking at one almost like it tomorrow
http://boise.craigslist.org/clt/4678969521.html
The ad says 1980s. I wish they made sets like that in the 80s. Those Maggie cabinets are stunning.