Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Help with PDF manual for RCA Dot Bar Generator

I have this RCA WR64A generator & can't find a download anywhere for the A model. The WR64B is out there. Really the only difference is that the B had a C.R.T. tester on board.

If anyone has this file or a link, please post. Reality is I'll probably never use it as I only have one 1964 Zenith color TV and now they make DVDs that we can do alignments with.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCAGENERATOR.JPG (18.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-05-2014, 05:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

There was no CRT tester on the 64B. Only the gun killer switches. You connected the leads to the CRT only to use the switches to kill one gun at a time for purity adjustments. Otherwise I think they are the same. I never used the killer switches on mine so I cut the leads off since they were usuallty in the way.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Bill! I think I got the incorrect description from Ebay. I found that the manual for the B model has everything one would need and more. That's probably why that manual is so easily available while the A model manual is almost non existent as a free .pdf.

Anyway, I hooked it up to one of my modern sets after a test on an expendable little black and white portable I keep for when the power goes out. The old thing works perfectly! Sure, it's heavier than a DVD player, but I like vintage equipment if it works.

Frankly, I am surprised that this little unit gets no recognition from the color "roundie" crowd here. This is the second time I have posted about it and only one reply. I'm thinking with the "roundie" logo on the front panel and RCA being almost all that gets mention (unless some oddball like me is posting about longevity of good performance) in the early color TV forum; this thing should be the talk of the roundie town. Oh well, I'm not trying to sell it at this point. I just read that it was once the workhorse of any bench of old, but they didn't have DVDs then.

I like having related items to what I am into is what I am really saying, so again I thought it might draw a little attention. Not that it matters really now that I have a manual. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to run it through its basic functions. Now the alignment notes look pretty tricky. I think this site needs an alignment forum all its own so the fading art is not lost. I'd bet a paycheck that 3/4 of us here do everything else to a radio or TV BUT the alignment!?!?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Motorola Minion

Nothing converges as nicely as a 21" round color tube, once the purity is 100%.

I only found a bit later how much the yoke position affects purity versus the rings.

I have used the step-by-step method in the factory manuals when I did my RCA sets.
The methods in Sams photofacts are the same AFAIK.