Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Estate Sale, Wisconsin!

Our President of WARCI, notified us members of a pending sale, where the owner of the home was a radio collector and had several radios.
They were mostly early-to-mid 50's and some 60's, clock and table radios, clean and nicely detailed. No Stratispheres, but the prices were. The dame running the sale said "What doesn't sell for the prices, goes on E-bay.
Many of the offerings were priced in the $100 and up range.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

I got there probably around 10-10:30 and saw the radio shelves were still full as if nobody had purchased any radios yet. Then I saw the high prices and realized why. Common $5-10 radios you'd find at radio swap meets were priced $40 and up. Crazy!

Then I saw a little homemade wood box on the top shelf priced at only $4. Curious, I opened it up to find one of the power supplies for old radios that Antique Electronics Supply in Arizona sells. Here's a picture of one from their website:

That's all I bought there.

The good news is that an hour earlier I scored a nice Zenith 15-U-269 at an estate sale in Watertown, Wisconsin. Now I have to decide the age-old question of whether or not to restuff the caps, or just replace them in a radio this valuable. Here's the Zenith in my garage before I took the chassis out to get the set into my basement:

Even the grille cloth was in great condition.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:17 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

How the hell do you keep your garage so clean???
Old 02-12-2017, 10:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_volt View Post
How the hell do you keep your garage so clean???
That is the only clean spot, between the kitchen door and the garage entrance door.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
I got there probably around 10-10:30 and saw the radio shelves were still full as if nobody had purchased any radios yet. Then I saw the high prices and realized why. Common $5-10 radios you'd find at radio swap meets were priced $40 and up. Crazy!

Then I saw a little homemade wood box on the top shelf priced at only $4. Curious, I opened it up to find one of the power supplies for old radios that Antique Electronics Supply in Arizona sells. Here's a picture of one from their website:

That's all I bought there.

The good news is that an hour earlier I scored a nice Zenith 15-U-269 at an estate sale in Watertown, Wisconsin. Now I have to decide the age-old question of whether or not to restuff the caps, or just replace them in a radio this valuable. Here's the Zenith in my garage before I took the chassis out to get the set into my basement:

Even the grille cloth was in great condition.

I was there at around 11:15. There was another member there.
Audiokarma
Old 02-12-2017, 11:13 AM
Tinker

Nice Zenith Jim,.
I fixed one of those little AES power supplies. Someone assembled it without reading/ following the instructions. The owner collected 1920's battery sets.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Administrator

I just ordered one of those....gonna get my Resas Tone-A-Dyne going shortly
Old 02-18-2017, 12:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Our President of WARCI, notified us members of a pending sale, where the owner of the home was a radio collector and had several radios.
They were mostly early-to-mid 50's and some 60's, clock and table radios, clean and nicely detailed. No Stratispheres, but the prices were. The dame running the sale said "What doesn't sell for the prices, goes on E-bay.
Many of the offerings were priced in the $100 and up range.
I forgot the nifty job the collector did for the missing knobs on the clock on the clock radio. He took orange wire nuts and cut them shorter.
It's an idea, but they should've been spray painted a complimenting color.