Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:14 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Not the thermistor! A few ohm wont make that much difference if any. Probably that subbed tube in the tuner. Subs don't usually work the same as the original. I suggest you buy the right one and try it. It looks nice otherwise. what is exactly slow to warm up? Sound, CRT or both, just the tuner?? If the picture is slow, probably a weak CRT. Do you have full line voltage on it or on a variac?
Old 07-27-2012, 05:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

I know exactly the issue timmy is talking about. I have several sets that do it, they come up with a blank raster then the sound and picture pop in a few seconds later. Or the set starts with the fine tuning way off then it fades in.

I have never bothered to look into it. It seems like a common issue because I have several sets that do it.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
I know exactly the issue timmy is talking about. I have several sets that do it, they come up with a blank raster then the sound and picture pop in a few seconds later. Or the set starts with the fine tuning way off then it fades in.

I have never bothered to look into it. It seems like a common issue because I have several sets that do it.
yes your right that is exactly what its doing so im going to look into the video output tube and the tube for agc because if you turn the agc down everything fades and slowly turn it up and it will do the same thing. the 6jh6 is said to be an ok sub with the 6bz6.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

does anyone know what an RCA 8 2v tube translates into. thanks.
ok i found out it was a 6gh8a...

Last edited by timmy; 07-28-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

well heres one for you dan, i spoke to don lindsly and instructed me to check a few things and this tuner type problem is resolved so you can fix your sets that do the same thing. it was the second tube in the IF section in this case it was a 6gm6 but the kicker is the tube was new and tested excellent no gas at all but it took to long to come on and i also tried a used one that didnt work either so i put the sub in for the 6gm6 which is a 6we6 and it comes right on sound and picture, perfect. and all the sockets including the IF section sockets i soldered so its a weird thing but that sub tube did the trick.
Audiokarma
Old 07-30-2012, 02:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hmm interesting. Try another 6gm6 if you can, just because the tube is new doesnt mean it doesnt have grid leakage or a short that opens when it heats up to a point. I have run into several tubes that test good and cause problems.

Substitution is the best test for tubes.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Hmm interesting. Try another 6gm6 if you can, just because the tube is new doesnt mean it doesnt have grid leakage or a short that opens when it heats up to a point. I have run into several tubes that test good and cause problems.

Substitution is the best test for tubes.
well i did try another 6gm6 and no good. cold or heated it made no difference nothing worked except the 6we6. unless there is maybe a resistor or cap within that circuit that is leaky or out of tolorance and the 6we6 while maybe alittle different in some why changed the needed value of what possibly might be wrong to the point of it correcting the problem. 6gm6 and 6we6 must have some small things that are not the same between the 2 because they both have different numbers. who knows except that it worked out fine.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is there static and snow if you disconnect the antenna???

I have a 16 that had a open 150 ohm resistor that fed the first IF its plate voltage.
The set worked fine with no voltage on the first IF tube but kinda acted like you are talking about.

A radical sensitivity to different tubes would indicate a fault in the circuit.

Why dont you do a dc voltage measurement check on the first and second IF
Old 07-30-2012, 06:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

with the 6gm6 in and turn it on there is no snow without the antenna until that part of the circuit warmed up for 40 seconds. i would agree at a radical sensitivity between 2 tubes and your probably right about something in that circuit that is at fault. however i put the whole set together and it plays great for now but i will keep an eye on things for now and if something gets funky then i guess ill be looking for the culprit, with of course my questions,lol,lol..... i forgot what that second tube was listed as but it was the second one.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

The if is a bitch to work on, mostly because it has a plate soldered on the bottom and a cover on the top.
Working to your satisfaction is all that matters.
[I think we need a list of timmys working tvs
Audiokarma
Old 07-30-2012, 07:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

ok dan heres the list, and they all work, 1963 silvertone roundie
1964 rca color roundie am-fm phono
1965 magnavox roundie am-fm phono
1966 motorola 23 inch console
1965 or 66 rca new vista
1947 fada b&w
Old 08-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Motorola Minion

Hey Timmy,

If you ever get down to Lancaster, I will trade you something interesting for that Motorola 23". I had one, a TS914Y that I lost in the early 80's
Dave