Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Workin' Late Again

For chassis connections, the physical size of the iron becomes more important than watts. You want something that can hold the heat when you put it up against a large surface area.

Kevin
Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 PM
RCA 741PCS

Here's a whole thread on the topic: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=249677
Old 04-03-2011, 01:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

After much thought I decided that the one thing I needed to know was the condition of the CRT for my set. After all, without a working tube , not much of anything is going to happen. I was able to get continuity with a meter but after that nothing can be determined. I went on ebay and found a tester that I was able to afford and won the bid, a Sencore CR161. The meter arrived DOA. Actually, it was just like the seller said, the red light comes on so it MUST be working. Well, no guarantees , that's the way it goes. I didn't have a schematic or actually any paper work for the tester but thru a very generous fellow member (marty59) I got the necessary schematic. I found that a pot and a diode were burned out so I was able to order a replacement from Mouser and Radio Shack. I replaced the parts this evening but it looks like the tube is not in good shape. This is truly depressing. I was hoping for at least a weak tube, but the meter shows very little emission at all. Since the meter was DOA and I had to repair it to get it working , I even wonder if the meter is working properly to give me a good test. I do have a nice orange glow from the filament and I can adjust the filament voltage so I think that part is working. I tried the rejuv functions but nothing changes. At this point I don"t know what I can do. The tube is a 12LP4A and I don't know if any are available for replacement. Bummer.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:33 AM
RCA 741PCS

How long have you had the CRT running ? I let them run for a few hours or even overnight when I first get a set. It seems after siting around for decades they take a little while to wake up.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Really. I had no idea. I just let it run for maybe 5 minutes or so. So I guess I need to give it a try, nothing to lose at this point. I'll hook it back up to the tester and leave it on emissions test and check it in the morning.
Audiokarma
Old 04-03-2011, 03:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, it looks like my luck has run out on this tube . I left it connected to the tester in the emissions test mode for a good 12 hours and I am still not getting any meter movement on the emissions. I tried the rejuv again and no change. Looks like my excursion into tv restoration has come to an abrupt end . With my limited budget my options are few. I would like to thank the members that have helped me out thus far - your advice has been priceless .
Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM
RCA 741PCS

I hope a 12LP4 finds it's way to you somehow. You never know what may turned up at a garage or estate sale.

If you do find one or decide to work on another set, I'd avoid using the rejuv. function. It can easily blow off all the cathode coating and leave you with 0 emissions.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'll keep my eyes open for another tube down the road. I really did not want to use the rejuv. function but I felt I had nothing to lose at that point. I'll keep reading the posts from this forum also. Really a bunch of nice folks and brimming with good advice. For now , I will pack this project up and look for something else to come my way.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Workin' Late Again

Sorry to hear your CRT is weak, I know it's a big let down. Did you by chance try testing with a slightly higher filament voltage- say 7-8 volts? If the emission comes up at all, that would give you some indication if the tester is working correctly.

Something will show up eventually, but it can take a lot of waiting. Keep your eye on the local Craigslist, even for what looks like a junker set. You never know when a good CRT is lurking in a ugly old cabinet.

In the mean time try to find another restorer in your area and verify the condition of your CRT tester. Best of luck.

Kevin
Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I haven't tried a higher filament voltage. I may try it later on. Wouldn't you know it. There's a 12LP4A up for bid right now on ebay. Of course my finances are shot , so I am going to have to pass for now. I wouldn't even know what a fair price would be for something like that. I would actually prefer to deal with a fellow VK'er .
Audiokarma
Old 04-14-2011, 03:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Please remove the 2 above posts are they are spam-Thanks