Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
If it had not been for him searching the web, I probably would not have found this set. He has helped me out with many situations, finding retro electronics, and doing repairs and restorations on several of his units. He is on VideoKarma as jstout. When I need a hand lifting or moving a heavy piece of equipment he is always there to help out.
I actually posted it on his Facebook wall like hours after it was listed

Of course, I can't take 100% credit for that one....he might have seen it before I did.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
Any input and suggestions from anyone who has worked on and has experience with these old CTC2s, is appreciated.
Here is a link to my 21CT55 restoration thread:
http://videokarma.org/showthread.php...ghlight=21ct55

I found it a real challenge, but very pleased with the result.

Dave
Old 05-29-2015, 08:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Please post the chassis and cabinet serial numbers so we can add the set to our database.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Old TVs are better!

Good thread about your restoration, Zenith 6S321! Problem is that I don't have all the nice equipment that you do. I do have of course have a digital VOM, and a 20 MHZ scope, HV probe, color bar generator, a variable isolation transformer, variac etc, but I don't have things like a B&K analyst, or sweep and marker generator. Another thing that I don't have is a test picture tube jig, and I'm not even sure that would work with a CTC2. Usually, I change all the electrolytic caps, the old wax capacitors, and any out of tolerance or burn't resistors, but alignment is not one of my specialties, except maybe adjusting the sound detector, 4.5 trap, or 3.58 osc. coil to get the color to lock in. I have never re-stuffed the cans, as I usually just find room underneath the chassis. Maybe it's time I try my hand at re-stuffing them. If the selenium rectifiers have not already been replaced with diodes, I plan to do so, putting in appropriate dropping resistors. I used to have an old Eico sweep and marker, but it was so unstable, that is was useless, and got rid of it many years ago. This project is going to turn into quite a challenge, and possibly buying some new old stock or good used test equipment. (E-bay is my friend!) It would be nice to have or make up some cables so I can hook up the CRT while the chassis is on the bench. That would make servicing it so much easier. (Clip leads are great, but not in this instance). I do have a couple of yoke adapters though. I have repaired TVs since 1972, but I have never taken on one as old and involved as this. Wish me good luck. Walterbeers
Old 05-29-2015, 09:11 PM
Old TVs are better!

Serial and Cabinet numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McVoy View Post
Please post the chassis and cabinet serial numbers so we can add the set to our database.
Steve: I am not sure these are the numbers you are looking for, but here goes. Stamped on the wooden cabinet is 1921 and also 539.
The serial number of the set is B8802697 Also on the chassis is RVB274 Also on the label is 506L. Stamped into the back bottom of the metal chassis is
11 03 207-1 SUB10 Hope these numbers help you identify the set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0790.jpg (75.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0822.jpg (83.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0823.jpg (85.7 KB, 46 views)
Audiokarma
Old 05-29-2015, 09:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, what an amazing find -- and with a good CRT to boot!

I look forward to hearing about its restoration. My thinking with a set like this is, you may never find another one, so take your time, do it right, and enjoy the process.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 05-29-2015, 10:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Awesome find. A pretty rare set to find with a very lucky to find working crt!!! That looks like the maple version of my rca ctc-9 Caulfield in the background also. Great sets.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:19 AM
Old TVs are better!

from facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I actually posted it on his Facebook wall like hours after it was listed

Of course, I can't take 100% credit for that one....he might have seen it before I did.
I didn't realize that is was posted on jstout's facebook page, so to whom ever found it first, I really super appreciate it. I also appreciate Kamakiri keeping track of posts, as we really need to keep saving and restoring these rare and retro TVs from the scrap piles.

I once mentioned to a co-worker that when I was kid we only had B&W TV. The response was "black and white"???? "I don't think I've ever seen one!!!" and probably not, as he was only around 16 or 17 years old.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Story.....
We totally lucked out having something this rare pop up in our backyards. The set was located in Glenwood, Iowa. I am an insomniac, and check facebook and craigslist whenever I am up. I saw the posting and literally 2 seconds later Tim posted it on my FB wall. ( Tim.. THANK YOU!! I think it was the shock of seeing it on CL and the "push" from Tim that made me immediately contact the seller) I debated for a hot minute to purchase it for myself, but my good friend Walter had been looking for a CTC-4 for ages, and he is better equipped to repair something this old and rare. I knew if I kept it, he'd have to do most of the work anyway, and funds are tight on my end as I just had to pay $2700.00 to have a dead tree removed. Anyway.. obviously this is older than a CTC-4 ( neither of us thought we'd ever find anything older ) I had a CTC-4 that I sold to Mark Mason some years back, as I knew he'd appreciate it more than I. Just like I knew Walter would love this set. I called the seller, and I felt like I was on a job interview. I think what clinched the deal was I said I would send him a video if we got it working. I made arrangements to have it delivered, and he texted me about 3 hours before he hit Omaha. I called Walters wife Kathy, and met him at Walters house and had it dropped off while he was at work. Let me state that I forgot how HEAVY these 50's color sets are.... haha.
Anyway, we'll appreciate any tips on this set thru VK or my tv friends on facebook.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, simply incredible! It's nice to know that sets like this can still be found in the wild. Congratulations

I also advise you to proceed slowly and don't try powering it up until you've thoroughly checked out the power supply and sweep circuits.

Looking forward to the restoration thread. Best of luck.

-Clark
Audiokarma
Old 05-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Old TVs are better!

I haven't done anything yet with this set except check the CRT and open up the HV cage, finding a cracked rectifier tube. I intend to take it slowly. First I'll check out the power supply, and sweep circuits, and of course bring it up slowly, monitoring the B+, with the horizontal output tube removed. If I get some audio noise, that will be a good sign, then maybe hook up the horizontal, bring it up slow again, as I monitor the horizontal osc waveform and high voltage. I am hopeful the flyback is ok, runs cool, and doesn't smoke or anything. Time will tell, and I will keep everyone posted as to it's progress.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

I THINK...a 3A3 will work in place of that 3B2 ..in case you do not have the original.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:19 PM
BigDavesTV

A really amazing find! Congratulations and best wishes for a successful restoration! Looking forward to the end result!
Old 05-30-2015, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Walter, you may want to check for shorted HV caps in the HV cage. The largest one in my set was shorted. With rare sets like this I think it is best to proceed cautiously. Burning up a flyback would really ruin your day.

Dave
Old 05-30-2015, 06:19 PM
Old TVs are better!

Got Audio

Well, some good news, (well sort of anyway), I removed the horizontal output tube and brought the AC voltage slowly up to 75 volts, and I got noise from the speaker, and had about 250 volts at the top cap connector for the 6CB5. So I hooked up a converter box to the antenna terminals, went to channel 4, and I did have sound. The selenium rectifiers are still in circuit, and one of the fuses had been bypassed with a clip on fuse, which was actually broken. So, for now I just clipped in a 3 amp pigtail temporally. Just getting sound raised my enthusiasm. I did find out that the fine tuning knob is broken, so if someone has one that would work as a replacement let me know. I'm not going to do any more with it today, as I have other stuff to do, and I'm getting really tired. Been up since 5AM, my usual wake up time. A 3A3 won't work, the 3B2 is a small 9 pin tube with a top cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0825.jpg (87.2 KB, 100 views)
Audiokarma