Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sears had us use the EXACT replacement. It even had the GE part number. I think I re-replaced 2 of them.

My own repair jobs used the 100v cap.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm sure that GE exact replacement capacitor cost 3 times more than the better 100V version. Sounds like a case of the powers that be at Sears thinking that they know more than the technician who is actually doing the repairs.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:45 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I'm sure that GE exact replacement capacitor cost 3 times more than the better 100V version. Sounds like a case of the powers that be at Sears thinking that they know more than the technician who is actually doing the repairs.
....or liability, or for warranty reimbursement - the warranty contracts always stated we had to use OEM -supplied parts. GE upgraded the cap to a 100V cap in 1992-3ish - they "blue-sheeted" each package. The blue sheet was either a mod or special instruction, similar to RCA's SPS instruction sheets. They stuck with Marcon 105 degree caps for the replacements - we were using Panasonics from Digi-Key for all repairs by then, long after warranties had expired.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 06-19-2015, 03:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
When replacing caps, I generally look for low ESR and high ripple current. It's generally the heat generated inside the caps that causes the most damage.
Generally yes - but not so for the C621 in the PC chassis. One look at it's location and you'll see why - placed about a mm off of a large heatsink, just baking, and with a 42V vertical (ramp) signal placed on the cap - 50V was marginal, and the original was already a 105 degree cap - back then, there were no caps marketed for Low ESR or for high ripple current. The blue sheet with the GE replacement walked you through a GE engineer's explanation about capacitance change (they generally lost about 50uF, along with an ESR jump above 3 ohms) and external heat - and about 4 years late...

PC chassis sets were the only ones we didn't seek warranty reimbursement for the replacement caps - the caps that GE supplied were the same 50V Marcons for about 3 years, and we knew they wouldn't last, so we ordered up a bunch of 105 degree 100uf/100V Panasonics from Digi-Key at 13 cents a cap in 100 quantities, and had to restock several times - so we probably saw 200-300 of the sets. GE finally replaced the cap with a 100V one(also a Marcon 105 degree), but it took about 3 years after the warranty period was over.

Out of warranty repair was $25.80 - 24.50 labor, plus the cap and tax. We could quote an estimate at the front counter on PC-chassis sets. GE reimbursed us about $17.00 per set for warranty repairs, and we did about 50-60 sets. Filling out the forms took longer than the replacement of the cap and a burn-in run. Two weeks later, here comes the payment from GE. Most sets failed outside of the warranty period. Fun times - like money on the street, just waiting to be found!
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 06-21-2015, 10:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting stories here! I've owned a 10", 13", and 17" AC chassis and I thought they had fantastic picture tubes in terms of contrast and color fidelity. But, the 17er had too coarse a phosphor layout for sure. I had to replace the filter capacitors on all of them due to being very sensitive to line voltage fluctuations which caused the pic to pull in momentarily.
I still have a 19" PC chassis which needs a horizontal output replaced and some other component level repair, after I stupidly used a metallic screwdriver to adjust its slight width problem.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2015, 07:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Classy looking set!