Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

HDMI to Analog Converters

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to set up a Roku box at my Mother's house. She has a Philips 27" from about 2003 with the standard RCA jacks on the back. I'd like to get one of the better Roku models that you can control through a smartphone but need suggestions on a decent quality converter box to go from the HDMI output on the Roku to the rca inputs on the TV. I see a lot of choices on the internet and could use some guidance.

Thanks,

Au.5425
Old 05-27-2015, 08:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

The roku 2 still has analog outputs I think.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just got one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/371281044075...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I haven't had a chance to mess with it much. My setup is a bit different though because I'm using an HTPC so I'm trying to figure out what source resolution works the best, but it does seem to work OK. It seems to cut off the left and right sides of a widescreen image, as opposed to letterboxing the image.

I might have more feedback as I use it a little more. Since this "proof of concept" seems to basically work, my next step is to get an HDMI splitter so my source goes to my big screen and to my vintage TV simultaneously. That's when I'll have a better sense for how much I like this device. Also bear in mind that I'm using it for a 1956 B&W TV so what seems like a "quality converter" for me may be somewhat different than what seems like a "quality converter" for a 2003 TV.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Looking For Time

We've used the Gefen piece before with very good results. It's not the cheapest unit on the block, but it's the most reliable and flexible we've ever used.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtv-hdmi-2-...?prod_id=11402
Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:33 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 05-28-2015, 12:19 PM
<----Zenith C845

Most Roku players (except the Roku 3) will work with almost any TV. The player (Roku 1 and 2) ships with a standard analog cable that has RCA pin plugs, so you can connect the player directly to your mother's TV without using an adapter. In most cases it will not matter whether the TV is a flat screen or a 4:3 CRT set; however, if you have a Roku 3 it will have only an HDMI port, so I'd steer clear of that one if your mother's television only has RCA inputs. If her set was built in 2003 it probably, almost certainly, does not have HDMI ports.

There is an app available online for all Roku players that will allow them to be controlled using a smartphone, but for the best results I'd recommend using a universal remote such as the RCA RCR313BR, which will control not only the Roku player but a TV and DVD or VCR as well. The only drawback is the remote will operate either a DVD player or a VCR (the remote must be programmed for one or the other), but not both. The Logitech Harmony line of universal remotes will also work; they can be found on eBay for very reasonable prices.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-28-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
We've used the Gefen piece before with very good results.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtv-hdmi-2-...?prod_id=11402
John,

The specs for the Gefen plainly say "This device is not HDCP Compliant."

How do you prevent the source from blocking the signal?

I'm currently using the DVI output instead of the HDMI on my set-top-box to avoid this issue, but Comcast is chomping at the bit to replace all these antique boxes that date from the previous owner of the system. Six years ago, they deleted the software custom set up options, that allowed wide-screen aspect ratio correction through the analog outputs.

James
Old 05-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Looking For Time

James honestly we've never had a problem with HDCP as it's always been a sources that didn't require HDCP encryption. I use it at home with my HTPC, and we use it at work with surveillance DVR's that need to be modulated throughout a home/facility. I'm glad you spotted that!
Old 05-30-2015, 07:10 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

HDCP if you plan on watching Blu-Ray movies gets in the way often. At best, you'll get 480i out of this, at worst, won't let you watch it.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:00 AM
markdi

simple is best
get A. roku 2
Audiokarma
Old 06-14-2015, 12:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the suggestions. After looking for an older style Roku 2 with no luck, I happened upon one in a stack of newer (compsiteless) ones by accident at a Wal-Mart.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShanMan View Post
I just got one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/371281044075...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I haven't had a chance to mess with it much. My setup is a bit different though because I'm using an HTPC so I'm trying to figure out what source resolution works the best, but it does seem to work OK. It seems to cut off the left and right sides of a widescreen image, as opposed to letterboxing the image.

I might have more feedback as I use it a little more. Since this "proof of concept" seems to basically work, my next step is to get an HDMI splitter so my source goes to my big screen and to my vintage TV simultaneously. That's when I'll have a better sense for how much I like this device. Also bear in mind that I'm using it for a 1956 B&W TV so what seems like a "quality converter" for me may be somewhat different than what seems like a "quality converter" for a 2003 TV.
I'm not so happy with this unit after all. Even though it supposedly supports 1080p, it's forcing the source mode down to 1080i so using it with an HDMI splitter to send the same signal to my vintage TV and my flat screen TV isn't going to work out.

For now I'm sticking with a second video card that has s-video output for my HTPC.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:34 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

How does your adapter handle HDCP handshakes? Some have issues with protected content. Interested in how well it works.