Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:31 AM
2 many toys,Not enough $$

Question '56 Hoffman Color-caster

I just got a '56 Hoffman Color-caster that needs an electrical restoration and tube re-build. Took the cover off,Good night.....How in the world do I do this? The chassis looks almost impossible to remove and so does the tube......Does anyone here have any experience with these sets? Thanks.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

I would start seeking a Sams Photofact for the set - they often gave instructions on pulling the chassis as well as the other information that will prove invaluable in your restoration.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:12 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

There isn't a Sams on those, if it has the upright chassis or if it has the 19" CBS tube. However, if you didn't notice, the whole side of the cabinet comes off in one piece to expose the bottom of the chassis. Inside that cabinet panel is a schematic (or at least there was when the set was new). Both of mine have them, but they're not accessable at this time or I'd get you a photo.

The blond modern one has a visible panel that is just the size of the chassis, but the traditional mahogany cabinet version has a secret release for the whole side of the TV. Look below the chassis shelf, and you'll see a slide bolt pointing downward. As far as I remember, that one slide bolt releases the whole side.

If yours is a later model; late '56 or '57, it may have a different configuration. The early one has a control panel to the right of the screen, with the tuner on top, and 5 or 6 smaller knobs in a row down from there. The later one has a large knob at the bottom right, for on-off-vol, if I recall, and there should be a Sams on the later one.

Charles

Last edited by kx250rider; 12-27-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

If your Colorcaster is the earlier 21" with the removeable side panel it has the 703 chassis.IT is in SAMS folder 305-11. Hoffman also produced a later 1957 21" color receiver which was basically an RCA CTC-5 clone. SAMS 385-3.

-Steve D.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:45 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseomatic View Post
I just got a '56 Hoffman Color-caster that needs an electrical restoration and tube re-build.

Where are you located? Helps to put that information in your profile, so we know if we can help you locally or not.
Audiokarma
Old 12-27-2009, 06:42 PM

Hell Paso,TX. Not the greatest place but thats where the Army put me.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Should have mentioned it in my previous post. Is there a model/chassis # on the back of the set?
Could you post a photo of the set?

Thanks,
-Steve D.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pictures and more info are here:
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=246707
Old 12-27-2009, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Pictures and more info are here:
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=246707
Chuck,

Thanks to Bryan for kindly steering us to the Colorcaster photos. It is the later 21" 1957 receiver. Your's looks to be the "General" console in Mahogany model M4041. I believe it has the CTC-5 clone Super chassis. The SAMS 385-3 folder will let you know. The Hoffman Colorcaster "President" series for that model year used the CTC-5 Deluxe chassis.

-Steve D.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:50 PM

Thanks for the info Steve. Upon closer inspection of the chassis,it looks like someone hacked some of the circuitry. I was told DO NOT plug the set in before it was checked out like I didn't know that already. I never plug a old set in without prior inspection.

Last edited by Cruiseomatic; 12-28-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-28-2009, 12:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info Steve. Upon closer inspection of the chassis,it looks like someone hacked some of the circuitry. I was told DO NOT plug the set in before it was checked out like I didn't know that already. I never plug a old set in without prior inspection.
Chuck,

While we refer to this chassis as an RCA CTC-5 clone, it's not a 100% clone. Hoffman did make some slight circuit mods in the chassis. Check the proper SAMS before starting restoration.

-Steve D.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:29 AM

Steve, I am trying to get the SAMS for this set and you have a very nice vintage TV site. Let me ask you, In your opinion, I seen the sets on your site and all look new. Would you recommend me have the cabinets on both my sets re-finished or just leave them as they are. All the cuts,scrapes and gouges or actually restore them to new condition? I don't mind them showing a little age but these are beyond that. I plan on them being on display at our new house or in "My room" as my wife calls it. She said that all my stuff like the TV's and my old Majestic are all going in one room. Kind of like a "Chill room". She has no problem with all these sets taking up room in the apt. we have for now,She even loves my 1984 Sears set I got. Says it reminds her of her childhood because her dad had a Zenith set that looks like it.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:13 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I'm glad you have the later chassis... The earlier one is a little more tricky than the CTC-5-ish one.

And Steve D, I'm curious now on the Sams 305... I don't have that folder, and I think I remember 25 years ago, discovering that the Hoffman in #305 was the other chassis (in addition to the CTC-5-ish one) that was different from the two sets I had from Gary H.... There was a fellow in Sherman Oaks who had two ColorCasters, with that chassis in the Sams 305. I want to be sure I get it straight on this. Gary Miller and I beat our heads in, trying to fix a problem in the horizontal on my mahogany one... All we had was the schematic pasted inside the panel.

I was thinking that the chassis in the early ColorCasters as mine, had a mutation of the prototype chassis as in the Hoffman 15GP22 & 19" CBS-tubed sets.

Charles
Old 12-28-2009, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Steve, I am trying to get the SAMS for this set and you have a very nice vintage TV site. Let me ask you, In your opinion, I seen the sets on your site and all look new. Would you recommend me have the cabinets on both my sets re-finished or just leave them as they are. All the cuts,scrapes and gouges or actually restore them to new condition? I don't mind them showing a little age but these are beyond that. I plan on them being on display at our new house or in "My room" as my wife calls it. She said that all my stuff like the TV's and my old Majestic are all going in one room. Kind of like a "Chill room". She has no problem with all these sets taking up room in the apt. we have for now,She even loves my 1984 Sears set I got. Says it reminds her of her childhood because her dad had a Zenith set that looks like it.

Thanks for the help guys.
Hey Chuck,

Every collector has his own thoughts on this. For instance. My CT-100 had been painted antique white by the previous owner. There was no question that I was going to strip that paint off and refinish the cabinet. My only other set, the CTC-5 is in original condition. Complete refinishing of a cabinet takes much patience, skill and experience. On the other hand, it is amazing what a good cleaning with quality furniture wax can do for old wood. And a polish up of the knobs & trim also help. You might start with some scratch remover in the appropriate color and perhaps some careful filling of gouges with a wood filler, sanding and stain. I'm no expert on this, but I'm sure there are others who may jump in with other suggestions. Your Hoffman is a rare find and you might want to keep it as original as possible. If you can get it up and running again, then try and get the cabinet cleaned up. Don't get to many projects going at once.

-Steve D.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
I'm glad you have the later chassis... The earlier one is a little more tricky than the CTC-5-ish one.

And Steve D, I'm curious now on the Sams 305... I don't have that folder, and I think I remember 25 years ago, discovering that the Hoffman in #305 was the other chassis (in addition to the CTC-5-ish one) that was different from the two sets I had from Gary H.... There was a fellow in Sherman Oaks who had two ColorCasters, with that chassis in the Sams 305. I want to be sure I get it straight on this. Gary Miller and I beat our heads in, trying to fix a problem in the horizontal on my mahogany one... All we had was the schematic pasted inside the panel.

I was thinking that the chassis in the early ColorCasters as mine, had a mutation of the prototype chassis as in the Hoffman 15GP22 & 19" CBS-tubed sets.

Charles
Hi Charles,

The SAMS 305 folder is for the 21" Colorcaster with the 703A-21 chassis. I assume this is the receiver with the removable side panel as seen in the article "Installing Hoffman Color Sets" included in "Color Television" 1957 Edition. That's the paper back issue published by Radio & Television News. You may have this book in your collection. Article on page 108. If you can, please PM your regular e-mail address to me.

Thanks,
-Steve D.
Audiokarma