Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2022, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pioneer SX-1000 TD Dead Ceramic Phono Input

Hello everyone, I just recently bought myself a house that I just finished moving in and unpacking and getting everything except my workshop setup like I want it including my music/listening room.

I was wanting to listen to some records on my great-grandfather's old Motorola
Component Record Changer that dates to 1975 (its a Motorola Badged BSR Record Changer that still works remarkably well considering) and I had the record changer hooked up to the ceramic phono input (because its a low voltage ceramic cartridge @ .5 volts output voltage, and the receiver's Ceramic phono input according to the service data is rated for 51 mV max which should be still within specs of a .5 Volt cartridge which should be able to drive it reasonably without overdriving it.

But when I play a record through it, its completely dead silent, not even a hiss at full volume and I do have it in phono mode with Phono 1 seleted at the Phono input selection toggle switch, and when I hook it up through the Magnetic cartridge input and select that it plays fine albeit its distorted
because its being overdriven, the weird thing is that it was working fine before I moved the receiver to my new house...

Any ideas as to why this unit's ceramic phono input stage would just suddenly die?

Thanks for your help in this matter.

P. S. I do have a schematic for this unit if you need it that I can upload.