Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

It matters how much the set was used; the CTC-9 I had is still working perfectly with all original film caps, though another VK'er now owns it. It has those same maroon drops everyone always gripes about, but it's a very low hours set. The more use, the more they seem to go bad. My guess is heat cooks them.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Maybe a good guess. I have seen a few maroon drops (on other sets) that looked well toasted. Some boards, too, around the sockets of hot-running tubes.

Phil Nelson

Last edited by Phil Nelson; 02-07-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:34 PM
M is for Memory

My Silvertone roundy had some bad drops (both maroon and orange), and may still have as I have not changed them all out yet. The worst looking were some .01 (Sprague orange type) on the video board near tubes the worst one was not only thoroughly blackened like the others, but had a large crack running along the top!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-07-2012, 03:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think I had one bad orange, it was on the vert sweep board. the 200v look perfect, nice no evidence of heat, yet short.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Finally got the stupid trim off, man was that CRT dirty with black dust. Looks much better now. The Focus is not perfect but I don't know how much sharper I could get it.

I checked the shunt tube current all good there. I still need to do one last purity check and then a full convergence. The center convergence is good but the edges are way off. The Sams has a much more involved dynamic setup then later sets, so I am not in a big hurry to screw it up. I may try the normal touch up and see how it goes. The sams has you start out by centering the controls, not sure if it mentions the slugs and then it goes on about getting equal distance between lines before attempting to merge etc...

I did check the CRT and it was fine, thinking maybe the focus was due to a weak CRT but cut off and emission were very good so I don't think that is it. its a 21CYP22 colorama tube.

I noticed a 6GH8 was in the color osc socket, yet the sams and the tube chart on the set say it should be a 6EA8. the funny thing about it was there were some resistors around that tube that did not match the sams for a 9 but did match a 10 which uses a 6GH8. Not sure what that is all about. I will try a 6EA8 in that spot later.
Audiokarma
Old 02-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Film caps-are those the "maroon drops" or similar ones, that were thought to be mostly OK until the last couple of years? My CTC-7 (a future project) looked like it is full of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Must be a late production 7, mine was all paper caps.
Yes, my CTC-7 is a later (1959) model.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."