Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Head
This afternoon, Maryland Public Television ran that special on the Andy Williams Christmas programs. Very cool 1960's video! It should show up on other PBS stations, especially if they're doing fund drives.

As for the Peacock, there's an excellent 1960's version on the DVD, "Movin' With Nancy," the 1967 Nancy Sinatra special. It also has the NBC "snake" logo at the end with the chimes. BTW, it's a very cool show to watch on a roundie. It was the first thing was played on our CTC-f when we first got it.
When I worked at DCC Compact Classics we inked a deal with Andy Williams that we would reissue his NBC color shows on DVD, complete with all original commercials intact. That would have meant a brand new transfer of each of the selected master video tapes and they didn't want to bother to do it or to let us take a crack at it. Too bad, they look amazing for being so old; NBC Color at its best!
Old 12-11-2006, 08:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

That would have been great to see the shows in their entirety! That's the only nit I have to pick with the special that was on yesterday. I'd much prefer to see an entire program from beginning to end with commercials intact. Makes for a much more authentic show on the roundie.

It's good to know that Andy Williams himself is/was for the idea. Hopefully, some day, another company will appreciate the value in releasing those on DVD.

BTW, that Nancy Sinatra program is totally intact with the original RC Cola commercials. It was shot on 16mm, and isn't quite like those great Christmas shows, but still makes for a nice time capsule.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Living color in glorious b&w

Another holiday show available on DVD. "Happy Holidays with Bing and Frank." Starring Bing Crosby & Frank Sinatra. Originally aired on ABC-TV in 1957. It was shot on color film, but ABC had no color facillities at the time, so was broadcast in b&w. The dvd version is in the oiginal color. Amazon and others have it.

-Steve D.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

YES! We have that DVD with Bing and Frank. Highly recommended. Even though it didn't air in color, it's cool to watch on an old color set, and gives an idea what other color Christmas specials of that era might have been like.

"Happy Holidays?" Who knew producer Frank Sinatra was so politically correct back in '57?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rose Parade 2007

I believe many people here with early round color sets, specially CT-100's, use to watch the Rose Parade because the transmission of that event was the start of color TV in the US. Well, I think this year there will be another reason to watch that parade - a funny one. The people of the 501st squadron will be marching on the parade. For those who don´t know, the
501st squadron is a group of Star Wars fans who dress themselves as Imperial stormtroopers. Right now they are even taking marching lessons with a real military officer to act properly on the parade. You can see them with the officer in the picture. I think that watch them will be funny, and on a round color set from the 50's, it will be surreal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20061211_1_bg.jpg (50.0 KB, 27 views)
Audiokarma
Old 06-15-2007, 11:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

No more Price is Right show, good to watch a classic on a classic!!

Or new host?? The final Mark Goodson game show series to air??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg zen2.jpg (3.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-16-2007, 03:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

DVD's of Technicolor movies look great on my CTC-4. You just have to watch them in a pitch black room.
Kevin
Old 06-19-2007, 07:35 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujifrontier View Post
i would watch I dream of Jeannie
I have been watching Jeannie on my Zenith roundie and it is really something to watch it the way many people did when it first aired. The color is so accurate and vivid on those DVDs and there is no macrovision. If it was not for the absence of commercials, you would think it was 1966 all over again. As someone who is only a year younger than my 41 year old roundie, I sometimes wish it was 1966 again.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:42 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

My kids, ages 3 and 5 like to watch The Waltons on weekends before they go to bed. Last Saturday we all gathered around the Zenith roundie to follow John Boy's latest adventure. That was such a great family show and being able to share that same show with my kids on a vintage TV makes me feel like the world isn't moving quite so fast, even if only for an hour.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

You guys are all wet-the one to watch on yer roundie is, of course, "Lost In Space" !!! Breathless music ! Exaggerated color ! Cheesy special efx ! Watchin' Penny's boobs grow ! (Yeah, THAT'S the ticket !) Wishin' ONE TIME John or Don would just haul off & knock hell outta Dr. Smith-or that Will would sass his dad-who sure as hell deserved gettin' sassed...<grin>
Old 06-19-2007, 08:30 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
You guys are all wet-the one to watch on yer roundie is, of course, "Lost In Space" !!! Breathless music ! Exaggerated color ! Cheesy special efx ! Watchin' Penny's boobs grow ! (Yeah, THAT'S the ticket !) Wishin' ONE TIME John or Don would just haul off & knock hell outta Dr. Smith-or that Will would sass his dad-who sure as hell deserved gettin' sassed...<grin>
There's only one space show for a roundie. Star Trek!

Scotty, I need more deflection voltage to the corners! Ah keep tellin' ya Captain, it's a round tube there are no corners. Twenty-five KV is as high as she'll go.

He's dead Jim.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Too bad "Twilight Zone" or "Outer Limits" didn't make it to the color era..But maybe its just as well, given the track record of long-established shows generally not fairing too well in the color era...
Old 06-19-2007, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had thought they made one single episode of the Twilight Zone in color, but I just searched around a bit looking for information to confirm that but I couldn't find any, so now I'm not so sure.

Lately, on my Philco roundie I mostly find myself watching Bewitched, it has alot of good shots of that Zenith, Darrin had some nice cars, and it's one of the few DVDs I have without the copy protection that causes those awful retrace lines to appear.
I got a year of Lost in Space a while back thinking it would look good on an early color set, and it really does, but those stupid retrace lines drive me nuts, so I only watched it all the way through once, same thing happened with my copies of Star Trek and The Time Tunnel.

For when I finally get around to fixing my ctc-10, what was in color when that set was new, that's available today? I've got plenty of mid-late 60s color shows on DVD sitting around here, but nothing from the early 60s, and when I fix that set I'd like to watch on it some of what it would have been showing in color when it was new.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:14 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
For when I finally get around to fixing my ctc-10, what was in color when that set was new, that's available today? I've got plenty of mid-late 60s color shows on DVD sitting around here, but nothing from the early 60s, and when I fix that set I'd like to watch on it some of what it would have been showing in color when it was new.
First thing I thought of when warping back to 1960 was watching Bonanza on my new CTC10 and particularly the opening with its burning parchment and the end with the predominately red and blue stills of credits. I've bought three Bonanza DVDs so far but none matches the saturation I recall.

Also two years later there was The Joey Bishop Show , The Virginian, and Hazel, but none were particularly impressive. You watched whatever was on.

The best commercials in color, and there weren't that many, were hands-down the Kraft Foods commercials. Highly saturated color. Terrific natural-looking green vegetables. Ed Herlihy I believe did the voiceovers.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Peter Pan with Mary Martin

I bought the 1960 color video presentation of Peter Pan with Mary Martin.

The only bad thing is they cut off both the peacock into and the prolog stating this has been a color presentation of the NBC networks.