Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Maggie roundie combo

yep, another combo, very nice and not quite an aircraft carrier, more like a destroyer sized. Anyway not gaudy at all, very clean design. Its in the back of the X so will get some pics after I unload.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

U45-43-LP
21GUP22 test great, the reading was at 5v no sign of cataract.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5v CRT reading.JPG (92.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg back.JPG (90.2 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg front.JPG (87.7 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg FLY.JPG (89.9 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg control panel.JPG (96.5 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

if anybody has a HV cage for this chassis please let me know.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is the HV rectifier cracked, or is it just an optical illusion?

WHY would someone do that to a color set?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

looks cloudy, have not checked it out close. Dont know why anyone would pull the cage and leave it off, unless there was some work done, and just did not want to bother.
Audiokarma
Old 05-17-2011, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would bet with some minor modification one of the Packard Bell flybacks would drop right in there and work. (Not saying or suggesting its bad) This is an RCA clone, dont let the mirror image chassis setup fool you. I looked of the Sams and its full on RCA. The fly could be closer to the 16 than the 17-35 but you could get the later one to work. It also looks like the can is open on the top on the sams.

The sams I sent you has a SS focus rectifier so its not exact but should be really close. I cant find any of the numbers you sent me listed.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Rectifier looks bad, nice looking set though!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

A combo stain is something that happens when you pull up to the house with another one. Yes I know its spam.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 PM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

Cool looking set They never really made combos like this here in NZ.

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn
Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

slow cooking on the variac, HOT pulled, VOT pulled, about 40vac. current nice and low so at least no shorts, filaments can bee seen glowing so at least that is working. filter cans staying cool. will ramp up a bit more later and then try a full power startup and see how it goes.
Audiokarma
Old 05-17-2011, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

at first the HV would not come up, so wiggled some tubes, then tried again, ah the nice cracking sound. Hooked up the converter box, Rockford comes on (the worst episode ever, "just a couple of guys". Horz not right so adj and it locks in (weak lock and some phasing issues when on freq). Vert is solid. Color lock is weak as well (makes since if the horz is acting up, if I understand how it works a pulse of the fly gates the burst amp off and on, so if that is a bit out of whack the burst amp could be wacked.

it would be all b&W, (adj fine tune to just eliminate the 920kz beat freq) then rainbowing then color lock but again weak.

Picture was narrow as well, but that maybe the variac I am using, its not my heavy duty one (it has a built in isolation transformer and its metered for VAC and current). So I just try full line voltage later. If that does not increase the width I will need to do some B+ checking etc...

But for now its promising. I will prob pull the chassis after the full powr check out and go over it, I know there will be some caps I want to replace at the very least the horz coupling to the HOT and some of those high voltage ceramic tube paper caps in the vert circuit. I will install a B+ fuse and a fuse to the HOT like I did on the CTC-16. Will of course check all the filter caps.

The Vert looked very good, no spreading of lines and height and lin looked fine. I will still replace at least the lytic on the vert cathode bypass, its one of the paper wrapped metal tube types. Its easy so may as well get to it.

before powering it up I did check the HV tubes and the horz osc tube, all checked fine. while the chassis is out I will of course go thru all the tubes and clean the sockets and pins.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Interesting that its chassis is "backwards", especially when it is an RCA clone.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 05-17-2011, 11:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

yea its odd seeing the interlock right under the FLY. any speculation why the HV cage would be missing? there is no tube chart, anywhere so the guess is that is where it was.

I am thinking it may have a new fly, it dirty as heck but has no drippings at all, so perhaps replaced a long time ago. there wiring looks very neat, so I 1st thought it was factory, but the filament leads to the 3a3 almost look like there is a splice down near the bottom.

perhaps a high time set that was just service properly (but for the missing cage). At least it got a new CRT instead of a brightner.

Back in the day was there anyone thinking that not having the cage would be a good idea for better cooling of the fly? disregarding the X ray issues.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Rectifier looks bad, nice looking set though!

it turned out to just be white on the outside of the tube. wiped it off and it looked and tested fine.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember a friend of my dad having one of those in his living room in the later 60's.
Great color.When the tv died,they cut that section out of the cabinet and glued the two ends together to make a consolette stereo!
Audiokarma