Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:00 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomash85715 View Post
The Vulcan aphorism applies here: "Wanting a thing to be so does not make it so." T'Pal's admonition to Archer referred to time travel; we might as well have been comparing notes on our recent trips to the week of the big bang for all the veracity this thing held from the get-go.
Ahh, but time travel ended up being true... The basis for the whole series.

I would be more inclined to trust the NY Times than a Vulcan... Vuclcans are always holding-back and sneaky.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Man..I HAVE been away too long, I guess....

Some interesting things have been discussed here haven't they??

Someone mentioned lightning:: I am no physicist--BUT...I can think of ONE very REMOTE but MAYBE possible explanation

First:: there are a couple of "initial conditions" that would HAVE to be met here--for this to happen.

1--the CABINET MUST have been made of metal.
2--the set MUST have been hooked to an MATV system or rooftop antenna.

If so-I think HERE is what MAYBE could have happened:

The set is on, playing normally. Lightning, hits the rooftop antenna, or CLOSE (it does NOT really matter if it hit, a close strike is sufficent).

For a couple of milliseconds or so, BEFORE the resistance of the lead-in, amp tubes(of the MATV amp, if used) and power cord, casue destruction, a VERY VERY high current/voltage pulse WITH a VERY powerful magnetic field, could enter the set, AND IF it had a metal cabinet, in THEORY, for a brief milisecond, the cabinet COULD have become a VERY powerful magnetic source, before it totally vaporized and exploded.

That is my THEORY--as I said--it is a VERY remote possibility--but maybe possible. and it is the ONLY practical explanation I could think of.

Because--otherwise, the power line would have to supply more than 500 -1000 amps, to provide probably 15k Gauss of magnetic power, needed to magnetize the cabinet and cause the effect.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:38 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
I would be more inclined to trust the NY Times than a Vulcan... Vuclcans are always holding-back and sneaky.
Hey wait a minute! Vuclcans can't lie ; it's against their nature or something. But the NY Times... remember that reporter covering those two nuts shooting people from the back of a car; dude was writing fiction that made the front page.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:15 AM
Brach

hehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomash85715 View Post
What does a slam on Heath Ledger have to do with jerking us all around for five pages of postings on what is obviously a huge jerk off tale? But the person who put up the frame from the movie with a light hearted joke about TVs blowing up gets high marks from me for disarming what otherwise could have been a positively explosive degeneration into homophobia.
The Vulcan aphorism applies here: "Wanting a thing to be so does not make it so." T'Pal's admonition to Archer referred to time travel; we might as well have been comparing notes on our recent trips to the week of the big bang for all the veracity this thing held from the get-go. Or as William Shatner told a shocked SNL viewing audience: Get A Life. --Tom H
hehehe
Old 03-03-2008, 09:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just how much energy does it take to pull nails out of walls? I bet it is a lot more than can be drawn from A 117 volt circuit, even if the 15 amp fuse ( we are talking 1960's) were removed and a copper penny installed in it's place.

Perhaps they had several bedrooms full of capacitors and one full of rectifiers.
Audiokarma
Old 03-04-2008, 12:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm surprised this topic is now on its 6th page..lol...for the life of me i dont see how this is possible. Even if it was, why only to one brand concidering the circuitry in the tv's of that era were more or less similar. I think this is another one of those urban legends like the guy who attached the jet engine to the top of his 66 Impala and ended up hitting the side of a mountain when it left the ground. Come on...get real!
-Tony
Old 03-04-2008, 11:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I still say it was a one-time lightning strike that, through the grapevine, turned into what is being talked about here. I have read a very detailed Chevy rocket story on the web which sure seems plausible, but is almost certainly made up. Maybe I should write up an exploding GE story and post it somewhere, and see who notices!