Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Whether Meck, Muntz, or Philharmonic, they were all budget TV's. These secondary companies sales edge was making them seem like bargain through bare-bones electronics. The funny thing is these sets often perform just fine. Today, as a collectible, these more unusual sets appeal to collectors more than the popular named sets. I have a friend who owns a 7" combo console Philharmonic. It looks pre-war. It'll be one of the last TV sets he parts with!
Meck made TV's with other private labels too. Spiegel's Aircastles and even those so-called custom sets badged Radio-Craftsman.
Meck bought the E.H. Scott radio name in the late 40's or early 50's.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Meck made TV's with other private labels too. Spiegel's Aircastles and even those so-called custom sets badged Radio-Craftsman.
Meck bought the E.H. Scott radio name in the late 40's or early 50's.
Ok that makes sense as to why it would be a Meck and have the E. H. Scott Philharmonic name plate on it.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

OK so I was finally able to get the chassis out of my Meck/Philharmonic TV and repopulated the chassis with known good tubes from my tube stash and plugged it in to test it out and when I turned the TV on all of the tubes including the Picture tube started glowing but then a few seconds later the 5U4G Rectifier tube for the power supply starting sparking and arcing inside so I quickly turned it off and unplugged it.

Any ideas as to what could be causing the arcing 5U4G Rectifier tube? thats the only tube in the whole TV that was arcing the rest of the tubes were working fine.

I did notice that the Power supply filter caps (which are in a cardboard can) was snapped off from its phenolic wafer that held it to the chassis (the phenolic mounting wafer that the capacitor can was mounted to itself was snapped off from the chassis not the capacitor can itself).
Old 08-12-2019, 02:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here are some pictures of the chassis of this TV showing the Tubes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5025.jpg (83.9 KB, 81 views)
Old 08-12-2019, 09:01 AM
M is for Memory

It is super obvious. You shouldn't have to ask. One or more of the lytics is almost certainly shorted.

Most sets made before the mid 60s will not work or eventually kill themselves if all the lytics and paper caps are not changed.
The only reason to power up before a recap is on the off chance it works you have a baseline to see if you make a mistake and add a new problem when you recap it immediately after.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 08-12-2019, 01:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
It is super obvious. You shouldn't have to ask. One or more of the lytics is almost certainly shorted.

Most sets made before the mid 60s will not work or eventually kill themselves if all the lytics and paper caps are not changed.
The only reason to power up before a recap is on the off chance it works you have a baseline to see if you make a mistake and add a new problem when you recap it immediately after.
Well I was trying to power it up to see what kind of working order it was in. I figured it was going to need new capacitors but I wasn't sure.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:43 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Here are some pictures of the chassis of this TV showing the Tubes.
How does the underside of the chassis look? The top shows signs of having been a rodent hotel at one time.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
How does the underside of the chassis look? The top shows signs of having been a rodent hotel at one time.
This TV as I had stated previously had sat in an old abandoned farm house that its roof had collapsed on it 20 years prior and the TV sat in those conditions for 20 years prior to it being found by the person I had gotten the TV from.

The TV's Cabinet is actually in immaculate condition and was just really dirty despite it sitting in the conditions it had sat in for as long as it had, the undercarriage of the TV is also extremely clean for the conditions the TV had sat in.

Unfortunately the Westinghouse Radio I had gotten from the same person which came out of the same place wasn't so lucky and its cabinet was trashed but oddly enough even inspite of a little rust on the chassis (which cleaned right off with some #00 grade steel wool) the radio still worked flawlessly.

Unfortunately it seems that finding the correct knobs for this TV is going to be quite tricky even with fleabay, which I found a few knobs on there that looked like a close match to the original Channel Selector knob and volume/on/off switch but nothing exactly like the original knobs, and also there didn't seem to be any channel selector escutcheons for sale on fleabay like the one I needed.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Unfortunately it seems that finding the correct knobs for this TV is going to be quite tricky even with fleabay, which I found a few knobs on there that looked like a close match to the original Channel Selector knob and volume/on/off switch but nothing exactly like the original knobs, and also there didn't seem to be any channel selector escutcheons for sale on fleabay like the one I needed.
Post a WTB on antiqueradios.com, with pictures of what they should look like if you can. I've found some knobs I never expected to be able to get that way!
Old 08-13-2019, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge View Post
Post a WTB on antiqueradios.com, with pictures of what they should look like if you can. I've found some knobs I never expected to be able to get that way!
I've had issues with that site in the past and so I would rather not deal with that site anymore, otherwise I would.
Audiokarma
Old 08-13-2019, 08:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here are some pictures of the cabinet for this TV, you'll be surprised at how immaculate the cabinet is considering this TV had sat in an old farmhouse that its roof collapsed 20 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5027.jpg (77.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5028.jpg (100.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5029.jpg (89.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5030.jpg (73.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 08-14-2019, 08:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the cabinet for this TV, you'll be surprised at how immaculate the cabinet is considering this TV had sat in an old farmhouse that its roof collapsed 20 years ago.
That is quite amazing.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow that's nice woodwork. Sometimes you get and get one with a nice cabinet.
This is one of those times.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks! And yes I agree this is definitely a very nice cabinet, and the fact that its all solid walnut and not just veneered plywood might be why this TV cabinet survived in such good shape after all these years.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK so this TV's Power Supply Cap Can is a 40/40/40 @ 450 VDC I would of tried to keep the original cap in place for appearances sake but somehow the phenolic wafer that the power supply filter was attached to was snaped off at the chassis so the power supply filter cap is just hanging on the chassis by its wires and what not.

I'm thinking of mounting a small terminal strip under the chassis near where the original power supply filter cap was originally as there is a blank hole located conveniently next to where the old filter caps are that I could bolt the terminal strip to.

I'm assuming that the wires that were attached to the mounting tabs on the original can capacitor were using those as grounding terminals or junction points of some sort and aren't critical as to where they are relocated to?
Audiokarma