Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:43 AM
I love old stuff

No, 205 was the number of the vehicle ... http://ratb.stfp.net/index.cgi?ttx=Af&veh=205&all=Y
It was partially low-floor! (the only kind of "D.A.F." of that kind in Bucharest!). Initially it had an clasic display for indicating the route and the number of the route. Since I've 1st sow it I knew it wasn't like the others.

Why the '80's "G.M." buses had such Spartan interior?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

That's what I meant, the fleet number. By classic display, do you mean a rollsign like the one in the attached photo?

No idea why GM buses had interiors like that. 1988 was the last year for the blue seats here.

Last edited by Jon A.; 03-09-2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Removed pic to free up attachment space.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:02 PM
I love old stuff

No, I meant a board with writing on it. Only the old Swiss buses converted into trolleybuses (the buses where bought second-hand) and some newer trams (streetcars) had that advanced analogical display sistem. That's why, sometimes, when you've runded after a bus you could get thiking is runing for e.g. on route 101 and in fact runed on rute 311 - some of the drivers didn't changed all the boards... somtimes up us displayed for e.g. route 311, but at the base of the screen was a hand written board with 101 (this meant the bus runed on rute 101, thoru all that the above dispay sayed route 311).
Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Oh wow, I had never heard of that sort of thing before. A lot of our old buses had the route number displayed in the rear window on a card in a special bracket, or used flip number cards, some had the bracket but lacked the route number altogether, and occasionally, if I recall correctly, some displayed the incorrect route number in the rear window. The buses that did have rollsigns, many drivers would just set them in between exposures while out of service, or just scroll to an exposure for a defunct route, rather than scrolling all the way to "out of service". 872 at least also had an exposure that read "next bus please". That particular bus apparently carried its original paint all the way to its retirement. It was very worn. One day, as the daylight was fading, 872 was approaching my stop. I didn't realize that it was a 1983 Classic until the driver turned on the rollsign's backlight and started to pull over. He said that he normally didn't pick up anyone there (it was so close to the end of the peak-hour route).

P.S. flash forward, exactly 100 fleet numbers to a 1995 Novabus Classic that I couldn't care less about. It's only noteworthy to me because I was on it the night after Halloween in 2006 when someone tossed a pumpkin into its path, which crashed through the windscreen. It has a split windscreen of course, said pumpkin went through the door side. Casing on rear view mirror was broken as well. Nobody hurt.

Last edited by Jon A.; 07-18-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:56 PM
I love old stuff

Except for the Hungarian "Ikarus" 260 buses and Hungrian-Serbian "Ikarus" Zemun ("Ikarbus") IK4 and some '70's Romanian buses and trolleybuse which had "M.A.N." 750 body stile (the buses where made under "M.A.N." licence), all the buses and trolleybuses that runed in Bucharest since I was a child had a syde display too - some indicating only the number of the line, other more infos (the 2 ends of line - at digital display, the 2 ends of line + an intermediary pass and analogical display - only "Saurer" 5DUK-A buses converted into trolleybuses had such display and it was a rolling one). But it was intresting that some drivers, at Romanian <<Dac>> x12E and x17E trolleybuses put also the ends of the line and an intermediary point on the side card.
And intresting form of dispay was this: http://ratb.stfp.net/Data/A/s/304-781-Dn:1.jpg (nice "S.A.V.I.E.M." SC10U buses bought from Paris)
All the Romanian (except for the 2 axeled ones, which runed on rute 44 up until aorund 1985) and Czech trams (streetcars) had side display too. The ones bought second-hand (s.h.) in Bucharest from Germnay didn't - except for the "Rathgeber" P 3.17 + p 3.16 (so called "Rathgeber" "gras" - "fat" "Rathegber").
http://ratb.stfp.net/?ttx=Tr&veh=2008&all=Y
http://ratt.stfp.net/?ttx=Tr

Hope I dind't poluted your topic with Romanian stuff If any one is intrested, I can open a topic about public transportion in Romania.

Hope one day one of your old "G.M." buses will parade to the streets of Buchaerst!

Last edited by Telecolor 3007; 07-19-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

No worries, keep it coming. I just talk mostly about Metro Transit because that's what I know. Will edit this once I have had a chance to process the rest of what you spoke of.

Good to have those links to check out, I can get a better idea of what you speak of. That first photo though, I probably misunderstood what you said, but I don't see a side sign. Also, I had never heard the term "analogical display" until you mentioned it, what is that? All that information is quite the learning curve for me. Lots of trolleys, that's something that hasn't been used around here for a very long time unfortunately. The buses we have had since new, those with electronic signs had a second sign on the side as well, the exception being 1987 MCI Classic (MCI took over production of the Classic that year) #925. There were obvious indications that it had one at one time though. The 1981-82 GM T6H-5307N buses purchased from B.C. each had a hand-cranked rollsign box on the side, but no sign in them. These were numbered 510-515 in our fleet. I saw pictures of them before we got them. Back then they had 3-part rollsigns in front, two for the numbers and one for the route name as I recall. While we had them, they used one-part signs. 512 however, was later fitted with an electronic sign in the front. On another note, I recall a bell sounding in 510 when the rear doors would close. This was soon disabled.

Yes, it would be good to hear tell of a GM Classic, especially one with a Detroit Diesel 6V71 showing up where you are. As far as I know though, none of Metro Transit's buses these days get sold, just scrapped. I wonder if what is probably a 1983 or 1984 model I heard tell of is still in use at the Fortress of Louisbourg...

Last edited by Jon A.; 07-19-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:19 AM
I love old stuff

Many around here would like to see electric transportation gone, becuase they dosen't run on fuel - and bus drivers are stealing fuel. But it's intresing that Ploieşti (Ploieshti) (Youarerains), administrative city ("capital") of Ptahova county - a big oil producer haves both trams and trolleybuses!
Other say that trams (streetcars) and trolleybuses and causing traffic jams. But in fact, when the days when more strets had tram (streetcar) and trolleybus routes, there wheren't so many traffic jams. Why? Because they where less automobiles. I know in U.S.A. many people do love automobiles, but I had enough of drivers parked wherever they want - caussing traffic problems or parked on the sidewalk - so you can barley pass or you even have to walk on the street!

Analogical display = with board or that rolling sistem
Digital display = with some moving circles forming digits (1) or with L.E.D.'s (2)
(1) http://ratb.stfp.net/?ttx=Af http://ratb.stfp.net/?ttx=Li http://ratb.stfp.net/?sta=21&ttx=Ar http://ratb.stfp.net/?ttx=T3
(2) http://ratb.stfp.net/?ttx=Ae

I'll put more infos later!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Somehow I think that if trolley buses were still used around here, public transit would be a lot more efficient. The traffic jams and lateness of buses can be a nightmare. There has been talk about a commuter rail service, but the big wigs have said that it's not feasible. I haven't researched it recently, so I don't know what's going on with it right now. Wow, the only vehicles I have seen parked on sidewalks around here are city service vehicles.

The digital displays with the moving circles, magnetic flip-dot signs I guess, same sort of technology as the Luminator MAX/Super MAX signs that were/are used around here. The dots forming the numbers and letters though, not circles. They're oddly shaped. The Nova artics and New Flyers use LED signs and certain older 40-foot Novas LFS buses and certain newer Classics have been retrofitted with LED signs.

I have attached a couple more photos, first a 1981 T6H-5307N #512 that had been retrofitted with a Luminator MAX, picture taken by yours truly in 2008 (wow, auto image scaling really messed up the quality). Next up is a photo of 871 with 874 parked behind it and 919 in the background after retirement, 871 displaying an outdated route on its rollsign and 919 showing only the last five letters of "out of service" on its sign.

Oh, and before I forget again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Hi All;
The ones I liked and fondly remember was the about 1950's Round Corner Buses, they were white..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZLqAdR705s

THANK YOU Marty
That sounds like it may have had a Detroit Diesel 6-71, the inline-six predecessor to the 6V71 I'm guessing. They sound very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Is there any love for the swoopy GM buses that came out in the eighties, the ones w/the curved blackout windows ? They always kinda looked like toys to me.
Unfortunately I have no idea what those are.

Last edited by Jon A.; 03-09-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Removed pics to free up attachment space.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I wasn't refering to the sound, even though now I can appreciate it.. It was the look, of the old style Busses..
The Bus in your picture on the left, the # 512 is mostly sort of the look I was refering to as the kind of Bus that replaced the older busses, except the sides weren't painted, and they had that aluminium siding look on the sides with the slanted windows.. And these were in Denver, Colorado..
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited by Geist; 07-21-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Marty - I happened to find this photo while digging around the transit board, taken in 1980. A bus like the one you posted a video of can be seen sitting beside the main subject of the photo, Metro Transit 135, a 1971 GM T6H-4521. Both of these buses were purchased prior to the time Halifax and Dartmouth merged their transit companies to form Metro Transit.

Last edited by Jon A.; 03-09-2014 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Removed pic to free up attachment space.
Audiokarma