Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:57 AM
console lover

Flipper gonna be OK?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:38 PM
M is for Memory

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-23-2012, 03:42 PM
johnny the raster master!

just got a 1950 arvin tv, had it in another fourm, but people only complained so it was closed. it has half a weak picture

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

According to the moderator, it was closed at your request.

It's only two threads down, from this one, right now. I'm sure anyone that had an interest has already read it. Why bring it up again?

Last edited by ggregg; 09-23-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
what did i miss ,whats happening
Audiokarma
Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 PM
johnny the raster master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggregg View Post
According to the moderator, it was closed at your request.

It's only two threads down, from this one, right now. I'm sure anyone that had an interest has already read it. Why bring it up again?
yes it was closed at my request, becouse the thread didnt have a word about the set just fighting about why i think you should use parts untill they die

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I gotta say. You just joined this month and you already have 162 posts?

Dayum.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's it man, run em until they blow.

There was no fight. There were a few members trying unsuccessfully to convince young Radiotron to follow a different path on his projects.

He feels otherwise.

Last edited by ggregg; 09-23-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
NO!.....You don't "use the parts until they die" on a TV set. The "dead part" if left unnatended will almost ALWAYS bring the set out of safety tolerances....and then bring down the rest of the parts your "weak" part supports. Yes...you can usually "adjust out" the problem up until you notice the vertical size is "maxed" to one side or something...but it means you have something to tend to BEFORE you suddenly have NO vertical and the set becomes a basket case. Your signature pic shows you tend to just "tolerate" every show looking like you are watching The Coneheads (You are probly too young to know who those guys are.....Look 'em up, they are funny as HELL!). That linearity/height problem is something you HAVE to diagnose. At least get a decent pattern generator so you can SEE there is a problem before it becomes much worse. Even just a good clean crosshatch can be a WONDERFUL tool.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Technohippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotron View Post
yes it was closed at my request, becouse the thread didnt have a word about the set just fighting about why i think you should use parts untill they die

The problem with your "philosophy" is that some components can take other, often irreplaceable components out when they fail. A filter capacitor that fails shorted can take out a power transformer. A failed component in a horizontal oscillator circuit can burn up a flyback.

A failed 10 cent part can potentially cause enough damage to prevent a set from ever running again. Certain types of components are KNOWN not to age well, and should generally be replaced (or at least PROPERLY tested) before applying power to an old set.

If you know enough about vintage electronics and have all the proper equipment, you might get away with a CONTROLLED reduced voltage power-up stage-by-stage on some sets. But your posts tend to indicate that your skill set isn't there yet.
Audiokarma
Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think Matthew Henry said it best:

"There are none so deaf as those that will not hear"

Good advice has been given here, and largely ignored or disputed.

jr
Old 09-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Mark

I like to kinda let things just roll as they will but,........I'm getting a bit tired of it now. Radiotron or Johnny, why do you not listen to the experts? Why do you argue with them? I remember being very young and I listened carefully to what people like the ones here say. I STILL do at age 30. I try to learn something new everyday. We are trying to teach you what to, and not to do. When we say the caps are bad (even if the set works) they are bad. People here have tried to tell you exactly what is wrong with every set you have posted about. I know you say complain to tvtimeisfun but he really hasn't had much to say in general on the forums. You are the one posting a lot of things and should be responsible for your own actions. I really hope you are learning from your grandpa as to repair old sets. My grandpa died before I really got to know him and he was a tv repairman in the '60's and 70's. If yours knows his stuff on old electronics, learn everything you can from him and treasure the information, and also from the wonderful members here. Most of the people here worked on this stuff back in the day and still do so it's best to just listen to their advise. MOST importantly, do not get hurt on an old tv. These things have deadly voltage inside and we are trying to keep you safe as well. When things short out LIKE OLD ELECTROLYTIC CAPS they can put line voltages on the chassis at times amongst other hazards involved in old tv repair. Some sets have one side of the ac line on the chassis at all times and are dangerous to begin with so it's best to listen. I'm done rambling now and I guess it's my job as a moderator to do so once in a while but please think about it....K?......
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

If it wasn't for the people here and their advice on how to fix things or identify things, my Samsung TV would have been back in the trash.

But because we have smart people here, like radiotvnut that knew about the flyback issue well before I even turned on this TV set, I knew what to look for when it had problems right on day 2..
Old 09-24-2012, 12:27 AM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!!! i sense a capacitor debate spillover from a closed discussion
Old 09-24-2012, 12:47 AM
Learning as I go

Here is a good idea next time you see a tv set or radio just skip over it and buy some test equipment like tube tester and capacitor checkers that should help you out a lot and show you wich caps really need replaced. if you really ate wanting to keep as many orgional parts in the tv as possible while keeping it working reasonably well this is the way to go for you I believe. Me I always replace the lyrics and papers in the old sets unless I don't have the part on hand.
Audiokarma