Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:45 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Hoover was never a big name in large appliances in the US. Beside floor cleaning appliances, they made compact washers, dryers and small fridges.
They did sell small appliances, Irons, toasters, blenders and mixers for a short time.
We had a Hoover frying pan, mid 70's
Old 05-10-2018, 12:48 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
There's a small shop near me that sells and repairs electrical appliances, something increasingly rare on the high street in the UK. In their shop they have a Hoover "Keymatic" washing machine. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...nes_museum.JPG

These machines were found in trendy homes in the 1970s and looked like no other washing machine before or since. The programme was selected by inserting a "keyplate" https://www.flickr.com/photos/cheste...7601120083935/ The keyplate mechanism was not reliable. A gimmick really.
I understand that in the UK, you "hoover up" the floor, rather than vacuum
Old 05-11-2018, 12:28 AM
The Resident Brony

Nice stuff... but I had to re-login to see your images. How the hell did you link them? Survivor appliances.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I understand that in the UK, you "hoover up" the floor, rather than vacuum
Yes, in the UK the brand name "Hoover" has come into general use, not only as a noun but also as a verb. And it's nothing to do with J Edgar

You see people referring to Dyson hoovers etc.

The Hoover company has effectively lost its brand name rights here.

It happens to other brands too. Scotch Tape (US) or Sellotape (UK); Kleenex (mainly US); Durex (different usages in US and UK but this is a family friendly forum) and probably many more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark
Old 10-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

At the end of August I found this "General Freezer" model GC7L-1 deep freeze. Its capacity is about 6.7 cubic feet. It was sitting at a curb nearby with a sign on it saying "Works. Free." This is a street with a lot of fancy houses, and we know how wasteful the wealthy can be, but it's because of such people that I have much of what I have now. I finished my errand and then went home to fetch my trolley in very great haste as this place is crawling with scrap metal dealers. I cleaned it up and replaced the flickering power light with the "bag full" light from an old Electrolux. I was really stoked to find this as we needed one and there are very few out there that I consider worth having.

The top isn't yellowed, that's just an effect of my low-quality camera.

Audiokarma
Old 10-19-2018, 05:10 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
At the end of August I found this "General Freezer" model GC7L-1 deep freeze. Its capacity is about 6.7 cubic feet. It was sitting at a curb nearby with a sign on it saying "Works. Free." This is a street with a lot of fancy houses, and we know how wasteful the wealthy can be, but it's because of such people that I have much of what I have now. I finished my errand and then went home to fetch my trolley in very great haste as this place is crawling with scrap metal dealers. I cleaned it up and replaced the flickering power light with the "bag full" light from an old Electrolux. I was really stoked to find this as we needed one and there are very few out there that I consider worth having.

We've got a similar one with a wood grain top and no lock...It stopped freezing a while back. Once it gets dug out of the garage during the upcoming annual make the garage parkable again cleanout it is going to hit the curb.

Edit: Holey Mackeral this is my 10,000th post!... I spend too much time here.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-20-2018, 08:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Edit: Holey Mackeral this is my 10,000th post!... I spend too much time here.
Congrats!

Old 10-20-2018, 09:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

I bought a Canadian-built "Woods" compact upright freezer. It was in-new condition, bought from my favorite Charity Thrift. $35 USD out the door!
Old 10-20-2018, 04:35 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
I bought a Canadian-built "Woods" compact upright freezer. It was in-new condition, bought from my favorite Charity Thrift. $35 USD out the door!
Cool! I hadn't heard of that brand, but I hadn't heard of mine either. The "Made in Canada" sticker fell off while I was cleaning the freezer but I still have it.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Cool! I hadn't heard of that brand, but I hadn't heard of mine either. The "Made in Canada" sticker fell off while I was cleaning the freezer but I still have it.
The Woods model I have is only about 6 or 7 years old!
The freezer you have is possibly a private label model from one of the Canadian retailers.
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2018, 08:16 PM
Old TVs are better!

We still use our old electric Tappan range, oven, microwave free standing all in one stove.
We bought it new in 1979, and we are still using it in our kitchen still today in 2018. Everything still works and operates perfect, even the microwave. Only repairs I have even done to it was a coil burner plug, and the fan motor in the microwave. Made a perfect pumpkin pie and banana cake in it this week. Also we still use the microwave on a regular basis.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
The Woods model I have is only about 6 or 7 years old!
The freezer you have is possibly a private label model from one of the Canadian retailers.
It would be cool to find out. I don't think there were many Canadian retailers that sold large appliances.

Plugging in your freezer's model and serial numbers on appliance411.ca might return a manufacture date. That site dated mine as a '90.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
We still use our old electric Tappan range, oven, microwave free standing all in one stove.
We bought it new in 1979, and we are still using it in our kitchen still today in 2018. Everything still works and operates perfect, even the microwave. Only repairs I have even done to it was a coil burner plug, and the fan motor in the microwave. Made a perfect pumpkin pie and banana cake in it this week. Also we still use the microwave on a regular basis.
It's nice to hear about old appliances doing more than chilling brewskies for the likes of the Enterprise-D's night crew. Anyone who is concerned about reducing their carbon footprint can either use older, well-built stuff, or just try not to step in any carbon.

I got my 1984 Kenmore (Sanyo) microwave/convection oven over four years ago. It gets daily use, mostly for heating up hot drinks. I got it for a fiver from a thrift store, the only thing "wrong" with it being two missing feet. I have since installed a whole new set that I got from Mouser.

I found an old Camco-built GE compact clothes dryer by a dumpster back in June. It wasn't anything special really, the top was banged up, it had a little rust here and there but worst of all the bearings were shot in its welded-together motor. I decided to sacrifice that one to convert its shell into a 16U mobile equipment rack. It isn't finished yet but it's usable as-is.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
My Freezer has the R134 refrigerant!
The Wood's brand was sold by Menards in the states.
The Sanyo compact fridges are made in Mexico.
They're starting to sell compact fridges at Wally world that use Peltier modules. Also, those fancy wine fridges with the glass door.
They take 24 hours to come down to proper temperature.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:42 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
My Freezer has the R134 refrigerant!
The Wood's brand was sold by Menards in the states.
The Sanyo compact fridges are made in Mexico.
They're starting to sell compact fridges at Wally world that use Peltier modules. Also, those fancy wine fridges with the glass door.
They take 24 hours to come down to proper temperature.
Last year I used an air conditioner I got for free just to survive the summer, what a hunk of junk, made in china of course. It used R410A which may have been slowly leaking out as it caused a weird smell in the closet when put away. I contacted a scrapper to come get it and left it at the curb for him. I got my Kenmore that September, pretty good savings there with the low demand. According to the model number prefix it was made by KeepRite. That one uses R22.

I hadn't heard of Peltier modules, I'll have to see just what they are. My freezer uses R12, it takes between 4 and 5 hours to cool down. A red light just below the amber power light stays illuminated until the unit has cooled.

Someone curbed a junky 2003 Whirlpool side-by-side fridge/freezer across the street. I took the cord, the tempered glass shelves, a coil of plastic hose and even the light bulbs, one of which I used to replace the one in our oven. The plastic shelf frames were a dog to separate from the glass and support brackets. I used one of those brackets on a music stand I modified for my mom so it will hold her iPad while she sits on the couch; now it just swings away whenever she wants to get up. I have the original height adjustment just snug enough to prevent it from moving involuntarily, and used a big washer from that fridge and a spring clip from the blower in another air conditioner to hold it at the proper height. I also used a 15-inch steel car rim that had been left by a dumpster for ballast and cut about 3 1/2 inches off the end of each leg so they sit just under the edges of the rim and allow it to sit closer to the floor. Finally, I have used one of the panes of glass as a mixing board for Bondo, it works quite well.

Last edited by Jon A.; 10-30-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

My Microwave will be 25 years old next month
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old nuke.jpg (38.6 KB, 18 views)
Audiokarma