Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:29 PM
AK Member

I'm a little suprised the AMT3000 isn't mentioned a little more on this thread than it is?
I'm in the armpit of decent AM, now I can enjoy everything on the web through any of my AM radios with more stations than can be imagined.
If you can melt solder and follow a step by step schematic, you are in like Flynn. www.sstran.com
(just a happy customer)
Old 03-27-2008, 03:00 PM
ZL2MC

Although I don't have enough valve BC band radios (yet) to make an AM transmitter, I have for quite a while been transmiiting on VHF FM from an Akai tape deck, an kitset hard drive MP3 player or of late a spare computer. Early versions were simple mono transmitters which had wandering frequency that analogue tuners with AFC could cope with, but now I have a kitset small frequency locked stereo (www.jaycar.co.nz and jaycar.com.au). Requires some delicate soldering of surface mount devices. Runs from a 12v wall-wart. Range about 25yards with a whip antenna and about 100yards when fed up to the TV antenna! Doesn't hum and good quality. Music player is "MP3 Tunes", freeware on the net, does everything, segue, searching and sorting, random play etc. If you're using a really old computer with only DOS then MPXplay by PDSoft, also freeware (I know, I'm cheap!) is good too and also has an 'AGC' function.

Best regards - Marty

If it ain't glowin', it ain't going'.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 PM
AK Member

There are some fellas supplying some parts for an AM broadcaster....

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...c0d742e77e4c03
Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 AM
AK Member

Nice thread! Really, nice!
I had such an idea for my R&S FM-transmitter, but I don´t dare.
When we married, our music came from a ´56 Grundig console with a Perpetuum Ebner Rex... you can load it with ten 45´s and it is playing them one after another. (By the way, I am made in 69.) Everybody came and asked: What have you done with this thing? It sounds marvelous.
I said: Nothing, but recap.
Strangers in the night, Melody d´amour, Ginny come lately, In the middle of an island, this stuff. Was nice.
And listening to a receiver is another thing than listening just to the amplifier.
Great.
Last saturday we saw "the sons of katy elder" on a ´59 television set. Grin.

Yours
Alex
Old 04-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Jukeboxman

ok all you guys now that you have teased me with talk about building a tube am transmitter i would love to see a set of plans or schematic!! i kind of under stand the theroy and am good with tube amp repair but dumb about transmitters -thanks for any help-gary
Audiokarma
Old 04-26-2008, 04:52 AM
AK Member

I own a rhode&schwarz am transmitter built in ´43. Looks like stolen out of u-96. Complete, but not working. A lot of fine mechanics and a hell lot of tubes in this thing.
Would be a good base to build a fine thing.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:31 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have a Rohde & Schwarz EK-07 military shortwave receiver, & it is rather obvious it was made by the same people who made the Tiger tank...It makes an R-390A look like a tinkertoy by comparison...152 lbs of German precision engineering, at a "cost-be-damned" design/build philosophy. The German Army told R&S around 1956 that they wanted the finest radio that it was possible to build, & that's exactly what they got...
Old 04-26-2008, 03:07 PM
AK Member

Wrong answer, Sandy, grin.
I hoped somebody would say: Really, an am transmitter by R&S, built down in 43, and looking like stolen from u-96?
And there is the possibility for modulate input signals?
Wanna have it!

We should make a new thread discussing fine arts by R&S.
I have no digital cam here at the moment, otherwise I´d show you sth.

Yours
Alex
Old 04-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I can only imagine what a R&S transmitter would be like...Especially for a sub..Harsh environment, difficult operating conditions, had to be run & serviced by a bunch of scared 18, 19, & 20 yr olds who barely knew what they were doing..
Old 04-27-2008, 01:55 AM
AK Member

It is not made for a sub, it´s just looking like. Grey housing, big round dial in the middle, ancient looking amperemeter at the side and a lot of knobs. Hey, a friend of mine did the pa for Glenn Miller, and he was 19. And a prisoner of war.
Do not forget about the tank-like characteristics of R&S... they even stand emp-shocks...
Audiokarma
Old 05-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Vintage Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
680 in Memphis plays some nice, laid back tunes...
Have you tried KRLW 1320 from Walnut Ridge? They play some pretty good oldies. (to me anyways )