Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

This damn GE set is proving to be a real dog, just as someone predicted from the start, you think it's fixed and working, and it acts up again, the R-Y problem has returned, I take a look in the back, and the heater for the X-DEMOD is dark, but why? New tube, new socket, new resistors, etc, I have re-soldered many times, I have to grab it and wiggle it at odd angles to get it to come on and work correctly, same old song and dance for this thing, same as it ever was.... same as it ever was...

At this point, I'd most likely have to pull the chassis again, and point to point small gauge wire at all connections of the color PCB to get this to stop, because I have re soldered it 3 times at this point, and it's still giving me problems, I MAY do this, I may not, as I did not get this set for functionality, but more so as to have a spare 21FJP22 on hand for the CTC-16, if ever needed, as I mentioned, but it would be nice to see RED fleshtone when I turn it on,
Old 05-25-2021, 06:41 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
This damn GE set is proving to be a real dog, just as someone predicted from the start, you think it's fixed and working, and it acts up again, the R-Y problem has returned, I take a look in the back, and the heater for the X-DEMOD is dark, but why? New tube, new socket, new resistors, etc, I have re-soldered many times, I have to grab it and wiggle it at odd angles to get it to come on and work correctly, same old song and dance for this thing, same as it ever was.... same as it ever was...

At this point, I'd most likely have to pull the chassis again, and point to point small gauge wire at all connections of the color PCB to get this to stop, because I have re soldered it 3 times at this point, and it's still giving me problems, I MAY do this, I may not, as I did not get this set for functionality, but more so as to have a spare 21FJP22 on hand for the CTC-16, if ever needed, as I mentioned, but it would be nice to see RED fleshtone when I turn it on,
If the heater line starts thermally opening to a PCB socket and it relapses (assuming it isn't a socket problem) I'd just bypass the PCB with wire.

On my CTC15 clone I fattened my traces with solder till they were close to 1/16" thick.

My new CTC16 Stockholm combo had the luminance output tube heater thermally intermittent... Somebody was unsuccessfully chasing the issue as they replaced all the horizontal tubes and the luminance output tube and kept the old ones in a cigar box. Since the hot trace for that tube was really short and the ground trace was long, after reflowing and fattening the traces joints and board ground lugs I soldered a backup jumper between the heater ground of the tube socket and the chassis...I don't expect it to relapse.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-25-2021, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If the heater line starts thermally opening to a PCB socket and it relapses (assuming it isn't a socket problem) I'd just bypass the PCB with wire.

On my CTC15 clone I fattened my traces with solder till they were close to 1/16" thick.

My new CTC16 Stockholm combo had the luminance output tube heater thermally intermittent... Somebody was unsuccessfully chasing the issue as they replaced all the horizontal tubes and the luminance output tube and kept the old ones in a cigar box. Since the hot trace for that tube was really short and the ground trace was long, after reflowing and fattening the traces joints and board ground lugs I soldered a backup jumper between the heater ground of the tube socket and the chassis...I don't expect it to relapse.
It is now very clear what was meant when someone said that GE= "good enough"

every time I think I think that it is fixed, it comes back to bite me, I have replaced resistors, sockets, caps, coils, tubes re-soldered 3 times, and the damn thing still acts up! and it's also showing signs of an IF problem now, I lose picture and sound sometimes and have to tap on the 3rd IF area to get it to come back.

I am pretty sure all the parts are OK on the color PCB are OK as I have checked them many times, and the problem is intermittent, like it was from the start, so what I may do, is get 30 gauge bare solid copper wire ( cheap ) and point to point re-enforce the color output areas from the demods to the y-amps, perhaps more.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

The plan with this damn thing is, pull the chassis, AGAIN, and since most resistors, caps, sockets have been replaced, and re-soldered over and over and the SOB still acts up, taking the thinnest gauge solid core copper wire I can get, (30 awg, 1075 Feet $11! cheap!) starting at the tube socket pins, wrap it around each one, and embed it into to solder tracing, wrapping around each and every component pin sticking through the PCB, until I reach the end of that given circuit trace.
This is no doubt overkill, but I have been over and over this PCB checking parts and touching up solder joints, and the damn thing still acts up and reacts to physical contact, this will make absolutely positively sure there are NO LOOSE connections....
Old 05-31-2021, 12:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

https://i.imgur.com/gOYoKf0.jpg

here we go again with this damn GE clone...

2.5 hours later
test... fixed this time? will it STAY working? who knows

https://i.imgur.com/Byq6xME.jpg

ignore the inverted pic, I have it hooked up all bass-akwards just to test it.
https://i.imgur.com/JBVckGt.jpg

who know it it will keep working THIS time...
Audiokarma
Old 12-27-2021, 11:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

This damn GE CTC-15 clone still acts up from time to time, living up to the “Good Enough” reputation. Over the Christmas holiday, I had all my sets up and running, and the loss of sync ghost popped up again after about 3 hours, where it almost looks like loss of horizontal phase, and it just won't lock on again, shut down for 90 sec, and it's working fine again.
Never did find out why it did this...
The horizontal phase det in the set IS NOT selenium, like in RCA sets, so it's not likely to be that, however the compactron 6bh11 is the original, and may be flaky. (HORZ/AFC/OSC/DISC ).
The sync sep/agc tube is new, so that is not an issue, I may just try a new 6bh11 and see if that changes anything, but it won't be any time soon, since I only run this thing once in a while to keep the 21FJP22 in it awake, mostly.