Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:01 AM
dozy ming-mong

Great-looking VHS

So, I've got a VCR in my home system mostly because I could get one free from work (Sony SLV-N700), my kids have a few VHSs, and because I like the ability to play different formats when possible. This served me in good stead this evening, when the family watched the Japanese-language version of Totoro. The VHS was from '96, based on the trailers. It belongs to my kid's preschool library, and it's probably been borrowed (and played) a TON of times since then. No matter--despite some alignment issues (sound and picture) during the first couple of trailers, this tape settled down and looked GREAT during the main feature presentation. The colors were so rich, and the sound, played through my Sherwood RX-4109 receiver and JBL P20 speakers, was also wonderful.

So, what are YOUR favorite videotapes?
Advent Legacy II
Sennheiser HD 202
Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mine is my 1989 off-air from KYW-TV in Phila of the re-broadcast of the almost-tossed-by-NBC of "Peter Pan". I will have it at the ETF convention to show on my Indextron display. Complete with the Peacock at the front.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
Mine is my 1989 off-air from KYW-TV in Phila of the re-broadcast of the almost-tossed-by-NBC of "Peter Pan". I will have it at the ETF convention to show on my Indextron display. Complete with the Peacock at the front.
I too videotaped the 1960 "Peter Pan" in 1989, off of KNBC in Los Angeles when I was living there. Beautiful color, I couldn't believe how good it looked! For awhile it was offered on Laserdisc, which I never did get when it was 'in print'. I picked up a VHS copy at a Goodwill a few years ago that was a Goodtimes tape at SP speed, to compare to my TDK EHG tape I recorded myself. Terrible, pinkish/magenta lean to the color on that, although reasonable sharpness & sound. I'd LOVE to see this issued on DVD.