Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:39 PM
That high voltage buzz

New here...help with Brunswick Radio

I'm a regular over at AudioKarma but have a query about a 30s vintage radio that a friend picked up at a yard sale made by Brunswick.

I'd appreciate the collective wisdom of the group as to something about its historical story.

Link to pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4738722...77103859/show/

Specifically, I am interested in whether the tubes, which came with it, have any use for audio work. All tubes appear to be original except for one that has a label on it indicating that it was replaced by a local radio shop in 1938.

I do not know if it works as the AC cord is missing.

I do appreciate any and all help.

Cheers,

David
Old 01-07-2010, 03:21 PM
RCA 741PCS

That's a very nice radio from about 1930 (going by the tubes used). Those tubes 224, 227, 280 are really only useful in radios from this era. I'm not sure what the output tubes are, but probably 245s. I suppose you could build an amp around those, but their scarce and valuable to the restoration community. If you have globe tubes, you might want to sell those and replace with ST types to help pay for the restoration.

Make sure you go over that wiring and use a "dim bulb" setup when you power it up. That "dim bulb" will act as a series resistance and save the radio if there a short somewhere. Also, those early radios were design for lower line voltages than we have today so a variac is a good idea too.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

According to http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/504/M0039504.htm the output tube is a 171A. They're getting to be a little pricey. It's a single ended output and I don't think a 171A is going to excite any audiophiles.

It's a nice TRF set and I hope that you or someone restores it. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the company's history.

John
Old 02-22-2010, 02:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have this same Brunswick radio. It was left with me by a housepainter so I could find a couple of tubes for it: The UX-171 and the UX-227. I found them both, and when I contacted the owner, I found that he had moved away. That was 24 years ago. I even have the Brunswick speaker with this. It really looks nice, especially with the lid up and the tubes glowing.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

That chassis bears a striking resemblance to the RCA Radiola 18.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjonsey View Post
That chassis bears a striking resemblance to the RCA Radiola 18.
I think, thats because it IS a Radiola 18. RCA supplied all the radio chassis to Brunswick at that particular moment in time.