Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:12 AM
Motorola Minion

Magnavox Stereorama 202

Another possible part-out set on CL that I decide is worth preserving.
Normally you would see the amp chassis AND speakers, separately of course, joining many similar on FleeBay ala carte' and the cabinet painted for a you-know-what.

The speakers in these are interesting with two 12" LF drivers, one firing out the side, one out the front. The 5" and 8" drivers face front with a mounting plate on one side and in the front panel "woofer spot" on the other side.

The amp is simple two equal channels with original Mag tubes - 6V6PP
the speaker wiring shown on the sams is anything but typical, and I cant figure out the crossover method at all.
Attachment 186468

Attachment 186469

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 06-02-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

That collaro changer will be a pain to refurbish, isn't that the kind where the change cycle mechanism uses a second rubber idler, rather than a gear like most changers?

Other than that very cool console, I bet it is loud when all is working, and it's cool to see a phono only console of that quality, kind of like a radio delete hot rod!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Other than having to buy 2 idler wheels, I dont think that changer would be harder than most. The later collaros with a single idler arnt any harder to refurbish than a VM.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:39 PM
<----Zenith C845

I've seen a few of these Magnavox consoles (not this particular one, though); however, most of them I've seen have at least an AM radio tuner in addition to the phonograph. I wonder if the phono-only consoles were sold in areas that had few or no AM or FM radio stations, such as wilderness areas of Alaska.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 04-08-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Motorola Minion

This Mag is next to work on but I wanted to post it now due to the odd speaker arrangement and the glut of Mag amps on the Bay.

I worked on many of the later Collaros at a Mag dealer-shop in college in the 80s, and had similar experiences recently with VM and RCA changers. I now dread seeing two idlers under this one. Idler wheels are not cheap to rebuild but if that's what it needs.

Right now I'm working on the VM changer in a Motorola SK70MA (7M62)after recapping it. This Motorola is odd as well since it has FM stereo on the tuner selector, no multiplex chassis, yet it sounds a bit different switching from stereo to mono. It is a lower-end cabinet (not Drexel) with Mahogany photo-finish.

I suspect that having an early stereophonic record changer was novelty enough and many Magnavox buyers didn't want to pay the extra $$ for a radio that was not stereo. It looks very plain without the AM-FM. The radio-delete option as per MaxHiFi

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 05-26-2015 at 08:28 AM. Reason: FM stereo switch
Audiokarma
Old 05-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Behind in Time

Not to change the subject but is that a 69 Grand Prix hiding behind Maggie?
Old 05-05-2015, 08:18 PM
David Thomas

The Collaro made Magnavox has the added expense of a second idler, but I think they are so much better than the lesser brands of record changers. Compared to other makes of that era, the Collaro's operated more smooth and had (what was at that time) a very light tracking force. Not to mention their method of automatically selecting record sizes was light years beyond how other brands did it.

I love my Zenith stereos, but when I listen to a stack of records I usually tend to turn on my Magnavox.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop View Post
Not to change the subject but is that a 69 Grand Prix hiding behind Maggie?
Sure is. Not many Indian-heads here. I like those mid-70s full size like your avatar.