Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

nice series of pics, you can see the "fingers" working across as the pva releases. I could prob do the same to mine now, I just dont have a decent way to hold the CRT in place (for the sun bake).
Old 04-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Nipper Rules

Hey Dave, i, as you can see, just used a standard garbage can with some 10 lb weights in the bottom so it wouldnt be too top heavy and let it do its thing. In the beginning i wasnt so patient though, i kept looking every day to see if the water was working and eventually just forgot about it. The tube tests good, however, and now i just have to install it and see how it goes. good luck buddy
Old 04-29-2011, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

roger that. FYI I have made my stockholm my daily watcher, The old CRT is working well. I never retested it after the inital check out where it tested weak.

The one I am soaking test very good so I am looking forward to getting it done and will install it in the stockholm (will then do the process on its crt which is also needing a de-cat.

Are you planning on reintstalling the lens? I have a CTC7 that will prob get the next CRT I de-cat, that way I dont even have to worry about reattaching it.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Nipper Rules

cat removal

actually the last picture in that series of photos i posted is the tube with the lens re-installed, i used the strips of foam tape and taped up the sides with some clear packing tape. Im glad that youre getting life out of that Stockholm. I just moved into a bigger house and mine is the daily watcher and the center of the living room, its just so damn cool looking...Bruce
Old 04-29-2011, 03:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

oh yes I bet folks say "wow nice color I did not know they looked that good" when they see yours, I get that a lot. I have another CTC-16 that needs a new cabinet that I hope to put in a bedroom, its vertical (speaker on the bottom) so up a little higher for better viewing. I am also digging on the phono and stereo, when there is nothing on tv to watch.

Audiokarma
Old 04-29-2011, 11:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did you silicone that one or just tape it? Im not a fan of just taping it, the dust is going to find a way in there. The GE silicone 1 works very well and adds alot of strength to the glass. You can always cut it off if you need to.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:41 AM
Nipper Rules

silicone

I will give it a try, thanks. Having only done this a couple of times, i figured if the side was taped it would be good. The silicone sounds like a good idea though.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Tape kinda drys out and flakes off especially in a hot dry environment like a tube tv. The way hawkeye did it was used a solid ring of the double sided tape with no gaps, his tape is more like weather stripping. I went with the bead of silicone because I never want to remove the crt for cleaning.
Its all experimenting, trial and error and learning. There really is no wrong way unless you break the glass.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Done...

I got tired of waiting so I put in out in the sun with a few chop sticks around the perimeter, about 45min total and it popped off.

I have a few scratches on the lens (not the CRT) that I have to deal with, I dont know how they got there but they are there and right in the field of view.

anyone have suggestion on scratch removal? I was going to head down to the auto parts place to see what products they have, or maybe just take it to a auto glass shop and see what they can do.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

another one done, 20min tops.

This was one of the green cats found on zenith tubes. I put it in the sun for about 15min, then used some SS saftey wire (.007 IIRC) and looped it around the perimeter just under the lens. I tied it off with enough space to get a thick piece of card board under it to protect my hands. then just started pulling. It cut thru the gelitin consistancy plastic goo. Once I pulled it completly thru the lenes lifted off. Most of the goo stuck to the lens, very nasty stuff. I next put the lens in my wading pool (in the shade so the water is cool), and the goo quickly set up. allowing a pretty clean pull off (was like rubber coming off after cooling). the lens will still need some cleaning but its 95% goo free now.

Bottom line is the green is easy but a bit messy, the white is a bit more of an effort but pretty much mess free.
Audiokarma
Old 04-30-2011, 04:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another successful cat removal. I have a 21FJP22 that had a pretty severe cataract.

I decided to try the "water" method and plopped it face down into an overturned garbage can lid. It sat there for about 3 weeks.

Today I wanted to see how much progress I made and pulled the tube out of the water and turned it over and placed it into a plastic recycling can. It's a perfect fit and a stable way to hold it. I then took several wooden paint stir sticks and began to push them in between the tube face and the safety glass and sat it out in the sunlight for a while.

I started to notice the safety glass showing signs of release from the bonding agent, and over the coarse of the next hour I slowly pushed the sticks in further and further. After about an hour I could see I was getting close.

All of a sudden the sticks all fell to the ground and I picked up the safety glass off of the face of the tube.

I then carefully peeled the bonding agent off of the face and that was it. Done.

Here's the bonding material after removal from the face of the tube.

It took just three weeks to accomplish. Patience does pay off in the end.

Bob
Old 04-30-2011, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

yep. same thing here. I watched the bonded area start going fast until it was about the size of a dime, then a pretty loud "pop" and it was done.

Nice job you yours.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Nipper Rules

cat emoval

dont want to be premature in case someone else has a better way,but, i think we got the way to do this......
Old 04-30-2011, 05:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

the green goo remnants were cleaned off with some gasoline, looks good, so I will use this lens for the good roundie since the one I popped off had a bad scratch in it. The plan is to seal up the tube with the lens (maybe tomorrow) and then to install in the stockholm. the stockholm tube will be de-cat and will be a spare, or will go into the CTC-7 table top (metal cap faux wood finish) if that chassis is fixable.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Workin' Late Again

Nice work guys and thanks for the pictures. Hopefully I'll be giving this a go here myself soon. We're having a real hard time transitioning into spring, seems it's been snowing most every week in April.

I wonder how much the water soak helps, or if it's mostly the sun doing the softening?
Audiokarma