Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

GE solid state phonograph help!

I wouldn't call this an antique but didn't know where else to start a thread. I am having some serious troubles on getting this thing apart to take a look at the insides. I see no screws or anything. Just rivets and I hope I don't have to drill them out. When I plug it in I get a little crackle so I figured I'd check the caps... IF I can get it open! lol Model T262.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GE record player.jpg (50.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-27-2013, 09:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Probably needs fresh capacitors. Try removing the screws around the edge of the panel where the volume and tone controls are.

I've seen turn tables that you loosened the screws holding the table down partially, and you could release the table by rocking the screw to the side.

I've had a few of these GE units.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks a lot for the reply. I took out the control knob screws and the control nobs dropped down in but the table isn't coming out. The 2 screws on the table I tried loosening and tightening and wiggling twisting and it's not budging.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

You have to flip the lock device under the turntable to get it out. This is the procedure:

1. Turn the two main mounting screws on the turntable down so they and almost tight.
2. Reach inside, where you'd expect to find the nuts for these mounting screws, and you will find a flat thingie that you flip so it's vertical. That way it can pass through the hole and you can remove the turntable complete.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

And it can sometimes be a real pain to get back around to where those lock-down's are located.

If that one is like the GE I once owned, it uses a 3V crystal cartridge and it is most likely dead or near-dead by now. On the one I had, I replaced the cartridge with a modern low output (.5V-1V) Varco cartridge. The record player worked; but, didn't have much volume. You really need a 3V cartridge for best results; but, NOS crystal cartridges are getting hard to find and even the NOS ones are often bad from sitting unused for decades. Unfortuntaley, they are no longer made; but, someone needs to make them again.

You can easily check the cartridge by turning the volume all the way up and then touch each positive (+) cartridge with your finger. If the amp is working, you'll hear a fairly loud "buzz" from the speakers.

Even if the amp works, it wouldn't hurt to change the electrolytic capacitors in the amp (it shouldn't be that many) and spray the volume and tone controls with control cleaner.
Audiokarma
Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

One more comment - you need to push the turntable chassis flush to the mounting board to gain enough space to flip the clips.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Nipper Rules

ge

sorry to chime in, there may be an access hole covered by a plastic round cover on the right side of the changer, if you take that off you can get the right side of it loose then go to the one in the back. Im not completely sure that yours has that cover, I did however ,have one of those at one point, and that was how I got the changer out, good luck
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Usually when one clip is easy to flip but you cant reach the other.
Just slide the changer usually toward the center. There is a notch
for the screw to slide through.

73 Zeno