Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Setchell-Carlson "Frog Eye"

I have two of these small and unique sets. One I found at a flea market back in the early 80s for maybe $10 in near mint condition. That was about the going price for most radios of that era at that time. It worked great all these years and now needs filter caps to come alive again.

Recently I saw another one, but not for $10. I got it at an auction and didn't see that the plastic cover over the dial was missing. Also the dial scale is in pretty rough shape for an otherwise very clean old radio. These are know to be found with nearly mint condition chassis as they are mounted upside down dissipating heat up and away and offering no real surface for dust and grime to settle on. That's about all I know except that they are fairly desireable if you can pick one up.

Does anyone have one of these parted out or simply have spare parts? I would gladly pay for the dial parts and/or the thin cardboard tube layout and schematic than hung on the snap in pegs that hold the chassis in suspension. A really great service design. Four pushes on a sprung piece of stiff wire and the chassis is laying in your hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg setchell carlson ebay.jpg (4.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-12-2015, 08:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

those are a neat design I have a brown one, plus the back of the set looks as good as the front. there is a place that makes the plastic dial covers for most sets.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
I have two of these small and unique sets. One I found at a flea market back in the early 80s for maybe $10 in near mint condition. That was about the going price for most radios of that era at that time. It worked great all these years and now needs filter caps to come alive again.

Recently I saw another one, but not for $10. I got it at an auction and didn't see that the plastic cover over the dial was missing. Also the dial scale is in pretty rough shape for an otherwise very clean old radio. These are know to be found with nearly mint condition chassis as they are mounted upside down dissipating heat up and away and offering no real surface for dust and grime to settle on. That's about all I know except that they are fairly desireable if you can pick one up.

Does anyone have one of these parted out or simply have spare parts? I would gladly pay for the dial parts and/or the thin cardboard tube layout and schematic than hung on the snap in pegs that hold the chassis in suspension. A really great service design. Four pushes on a sprung piece of stiff wire and the chassis is laying in your hand.
I've seen a 32 volt set, with that same cabinet, so watch out!
Setchell Carlson still made them into the early 50's.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Where in the world would you put a battery in one of those?
Old 09-13-2015, 09:56 AM
I like....big sparks!!

32V was common for Delco light plants on farms back in the day. Many appliances were offered using 32V...mixers, toasters, etc.

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Audiokarma
Old 09-14-2015, 07:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK, that's interesting. I'm sure mine are both 120VAC or there about.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

the 32 volt ones were often equipped with regular 120 v style plugs.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:45 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
the 32 volt ones were often equipped with regular 120 v style plugs.
And often have blown PS stages from dummies plugging them into 120V AC.....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn View Post
32V was common for Delco light plants on farms back in the day. Many appliances were offered using 32V...mixers, toasters, etc.
My farmhouse was wired with #12 knob-tube and powered that way for wall-switched ceiling lights only in the early 20s.
The Delco plant was in the detached "summer kitchen" and much of the wiring in the attic remains though un-powered now. There is a big oil-stain where the unit sat, over toward the chimney of course.
Likely, the REA arranged for utility @120/240 volts, 60 amps and re-powered switches and lights sometime in the 1940s via a Square-D fuse panel. Of course, minimal receptacles were added like 1-2 per room

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 09-16-2015 at 11:22 AM.