Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-11-2004, 04:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tim,
The CT-100 looks very nice. I'm glad you were able to add the original pencil box. Mahogany is the wood of choice and the cabinet shop did a remarkable job of rebuilding and refinishing the cabinet. Is the gold stripe present on the front moulding? It's hard to see in the pix.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Administrator

A picture tube, some pots on the chassis, some wiring. and a total electronic restoration.....in other words, it might never work . But I'm going to keep improving and improving it, and one day who knows.....but without a picture tube I'm dead in the water.

You have to look at the set as having historical value though IMO. Nobody tries to put the 500 year old Viking ship into the canal to see if it floats, so whether this set works or not, to me I guess it doesn't matter
Old 01-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve D.
Tim,
The CT-100 looks very nice. I'm glad you were able to add the original pencil box. Mahogany is the wood of choice and the cabinet shop did a remarkable job of rebuilding and refinishing the cabinet. Is the gold stripe present on the front moulding? It's hard to see in the pix.
Yep, nice and bright as well! I'll get more pics when I get it finished up. The pencil box on there is off a black and white set....not exactly pretty when you open the door, but it'll work just fine.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

The mystery is solved. Tim, you got the cabinet from me. I remember getting the set from an old Philco engineer near Philadelphia and wondering if it would ever be useable. He had it to examine the competition for the design of the Philco TV123. Now I know it has a good home.

I am not sure on the original color, but I have seen the set in two distinct lighter and darker mahogany finishes. I always liked the darker.

My CT-100 had base water damage also, but only to the finish. The RCA shop I got mine from years ago was alongside a river that would flood the shop every few years. I refinished mine with some Minwax red mahogany and looks perfect. Now if it would only work.

On that subject, my chassis is out being restored and I still have the sad looking chassis from your set that I saved for parts. I need to remove some parts for my restoration (horiz. centering and focus control for the moment), but I am willing to remove other parts I do not need for any of the AK regulars who might need them for their set. Sorry, no knobs or cosmetics. Not sure yet what I will need to complete mine (read flyback), but let me know what you need and I will keep a list. Try to be specific by part number or chassis circuit identification. I have the manuals to find what you need.

I also have a bunch of UHF strips for the set if you want one. I believe they are tuned for channels in the 30's and 50's at the moment, but can be retuned.

This offer is for postage only and favors to be returned sometime in the future, but I need to wait until I finish my needs. I would also prefer to part it out to as many as possible and not the chassis as a whole. First come, first served.

Analog forever,
Dave A
Old 01-11-2004, 07:56 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Just curious, what did the guys at the cabinet place think of restoring a TV versus a 17th-century chair?
Audiokarma
Old 01-11-2004, 09:06 PM
behind the scenes

Wow, what an incredible job. Kudos to you sir.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:34 AM
On Land

Tim,

The cabinet looks great! Even if you don't get the set going, it will still make a great looking fishtank! Just kidding! Hopefully it won't be long before we see photos of it exercising its "living color" feature!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Carmine
Just curious, what did the guys at the cabinet place think of restoring a TV versus a 17th-century chair?
Funny you should mention that.....he seemed hesitant when he looked at the set, explaining that it would cost me several hundred dollars to have the work done, and to ask myself if the set was worth the investment. After I explained the relative rarity of the set, he understood why I wanted to get it done.

The trashy CT will be en route to him sometime next month, then I'll have CT100 bookends

The hunt begins for knobs....
Old 01-12-2004, 07:28 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Don't matter what it cost. That baby is BEE-YOO-TI-FULL !!! Congrats, Tim !! Speaking of babies, how's about a pic of The Nipper in front of the CT-100 ?!? -Sandy G.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Here's the other pic lightened up. Hell, it's now on my desktop at work
Old 01-12-2004, 12:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Similar finish

Tim,
As I look at your well lighted last posted photo, I see we do have similar color finishes on our CT-100's. When I restored my cabinet several years ago, my first attempt at refinishing, I was trying for the lighter/brighter red mahogany finish that RCA used as a factory finish. I was never able to achieve that. But I do prefer the darker, richer color on both your set and mine. I still plan to have my set professionally refinished as I neglected to use a sealer and to much grain shows through. I want that high gloss factory look. You can see my set on my web page. And if you scroll down you can view the CT-100 assembly line pix that shows the factory cabinet I was refering to.
Steve

http://community.webtv.net/stevetek/StevesCT100

Last edited by Steve D.; 01-12-2004 at 12:48 PM.