Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I think that it should be fairly easy to fabricate a suitable tool by grinding flats on the outside of a smaller socket or Xcelite driver. Likely a 1/2" size would work fine. I made this example in about 5 minutes... wrong size, but it shows what could be done.

jr
I did the same thing. I ground the down the flats on a 5/16-18 nut and used my 1/2 socket, no luck. Naturally, the ID of the nut, had to be drilled out to accept the control bushing.
I didn't think, Magnavox used that arrangement that early. The HI-FI in question appears to be a 1957 model.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:24 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
the only problem with that is that I don't have access to an angle grinder or a bench grinder, my dad has one of each but I think he would need to know the specs first before he could do anything, like what size of socket I need and where to grind down the socket.
Not hard to make a bench grinder....Mine was made (by it's previous owner) out of a large motor, shaft coupler to connect a threaded rod to the motor shaft, a grinder wheel and a nut to keep the wheel on the threaded shaft....Crude yet effective.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-18-2015, 08:56 PM
Banned

Does ANYONE have any idea of how I could go about repairing the Bass Tone Control? I need to get it back up and running!
Also does ANYONE on here have a spare Magnavox/Collaro turntable from the late 1950s that would be able to part with the speed control knob? I need a new speed control knob because the original one is stripped out and has a busted retaining spring so it can't change the record player speed anymore because it just freewheels on the control shaft and doesn't move the speed control shaft anymore.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:16 PM
M is for Memory

If you can't fix the busted wafer, but know which contacts make and break at each setting, then you could adapt another wafer switch with enough contacts, or take one with less contacts and use it to control some relays (the contacts of which would duplicate the behavior of the original switches' contacts).

Rotary wafer switches are one of those things you don't want to ever break as repair/replacement is rarely easy/simple.

As for the knob: have you considered stealing the spring clip/retainer/shaft grabber off a random junk knod meant for the same type shaft and gluing it into the old knob.....Hell if the plastic shaft of the damaged knob is thich enough you might be able to make it into a set screw.

This should teach you a lesson NOT to force knobs. I destroyed a wafer switch once by forcing a knob....The lesson I learned from that I will never forget.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If you can't fix the busted wafer, but know which contacts make and break at each setting, then you could adapt another wafer switch with enough contacts, or take one with less contacts and use it to control some relays (the contacts of which would duplicate the behavior of the original switches' contacts).

Rotary wafer switches are one of those things you don't want to ever break as repair/replacement is rarely easy/simple.

As for the knob: have you considered stealing the spring clip/retainer/shaft grabber off a random junk knod meant for the same type shaft and gluing it into the old knob.....Hell if the plastic shaft of the damaged knob is thich enough you might be able to make it into a set screw.

This should teach you a lesson NOT to force knobs. I destroyed a wafer switch once by forcing a knob....The lesson I learned from that I will never forget.
well first of all I didn't know it had that kind of control in there I just assumed it was a regular pot that had a bearing in it that allowed it to "click" into the different positions that it needed, can I even find a new switch like that anywhere?
Secondly as for the turntable speed knob I didn't realize it was that badly stuck to the point that it would end up stripping out the knob (its rounded out right where its supposed to be flat) and that the retention spring would break because of that.
Also, no I cannot use parts to make the existing knob work because I don't have any old turntable knobs that are of the right style, I have some knobs from an old Voice of Music made Zenith record player but the hole for the control isn't the right size and the retention spring isn't the right type, its the kind that fits into the hole and not around the hole like the knob that originally went with this record player needs.

UPDATE: I looked over at Mouser and Digikey and it appears that they do have some switches like what I need for the tone control on this Magnavox, the only problem is that they don't have the right kind of shaft shape or length. the kind of switch I need is an adjustable 12 contact, 4 position switch that has a shaft length of of about 1/4" or a little longer and has the half moon shaped end so that the original knob can fit it on it.

Last edited by Captainclock; 11-18-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-18-2015, 11:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Someone over at the tube audio forum of AudioKarma may have the control you need to replace. Magnavox console amps are popular over there, and many people gut the console for the amp.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...tube-audio.14/
Old 11-19-2015, 12:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

That is a waste of a good hifi that is like fish tanking a vintage tv makes me sick...
Old 11-19-2015, 01:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Someone over at the tube audio forum of AudioKarma may have the control you need to replace. Magnavox console amps are popular over there, and many people gut the console for the amp.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...tube-audio.14/
Well I formed a thread over at AK to see if anyone over there could help me out parts wise.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimeisfun View Post
That is a waste of a good hifi that is like fish tanking a vintage tv makes me sick...
I agree, I also find it rather disgusting when people trash perfectly good stereo and HI-FI Consoles just so they can "salvage" the amps out of them to make a stand alone amplifier out of them for their home stereo system. Especially old Magnavox consoles or even old Zeniths or Motorolas I just don't understand those folks, if they want a decent tube amp to power their record player or tuner then they should just buy an actual tube amplifier instead of trashing a perfectly good console stereo for one.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

The amps do not sound right as stand alone there actually is a magnificent Magnavox club I have not been to thier meets all you do is type in your broser magnificent Magnavox they have a forum as well good luck on your part....Timothy
Audiokarma
Old 11-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimeisfun View Post
The amps do not sound right as stand alone there actually is a magnificent Magnavox club I have not been to thier meets all you do is type in your broser magnificent Magnavox they have a forum as well good luck on your part....Timothy
I'm not finding that magnavox club you mentioned so it seems they maybe went under??
Old 11-20-2015, 10:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Not hard to make a bench grinder....Mine was made (by it's previous owner) out of a large motor, shaft coupler to connect a threaded rod to the motor shaft, a grinder wheel and a nut to keep the wheel on the threaded shaft....Crude yet effective.
I built a buffer like that. A half HP 3600 RPM motor and a wire wheel for removing rust from large items.
I saw a lot of good bench grinders at garage and estate sales, priced reasonably, but I already have four of them.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I built a buffer like that. A half HP 3600 RPM motor and a wire wheel for removing rust from large items.
I saw a lot of good bench grinders at garage and estate sales, priced reasonably, but I already have four of them.
Well I found over at AES (Antique Electronic Supply) 3 switches that would of worked as a replacement for the original bass control switch on this Magnavox but the only problem is that they didn't have the half-moon shaped shaft like original switch's shaft does, the replacement switches I found just have a regular rounded shaft. Here's the links to the switches in question:
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-H390,
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-H391,
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-H394

Maybe you could let me know if one of these switches would work but maybe see if they would cross with a switch similar to one that's on Mouser or Digikey that's got the half-moon shaped shaft on it.

Also someone on Audio Karma does has a tuner/preamp unit like the one I'm currently working on that they said I could have parts from and they also I guess have a spare record player like the one I'm working on that I could have parts off of as well, and I sent them a private message but I haven't heard back from them yet so crossing my fingers that they pull through so that I can maybe get the parts that I need without having to start from scratch.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Well I found over at AES (Antique Electronic Supply) 3 switches that would of worked as a replacement for the original bass control switch on this Magnavox but the only problem is that they didn't have the half-moon shaped shaft like original switch's shaft does, the replacement switches I found just have a regular rounded shaft. Here's the links to the switches in question:
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-H390,
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-H391,
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-H394

Maybe you could let me know if one of these switches would work but maybe see if they would cross with a switch similar to one that's on Mouser or Digikey that's got the half-moon shaped shaft on it.

Also someone on Audio Karma does has a tuner/preamp unit like the one I'm currently working on that they said I could have parts from and they also I guess have a spare record player like the one I'm working on that I could have parts off of as well, and I sent them a private message but I haven't heard back from them yet so crossing my fingers that they pull through so that I can maybe get the parts that I need without having to start from scratch.
I wouldn't worry about returning that unit to it's former glory! According to the pictures, the amplifier was a mouse-house before.
You'll find out that, anything that wasn't stored in ideal conditions are going to require a lot more work to repair.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:19 PM
M is for Memory

If the shaft is round and you need half round JUST GRIND or FILE HALF THE CIRCLE OFF....It ain't rocket science.

Audiokarma