Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

I've only got to do half that, at most... the console has a polarized line cord on it per electroking's suggestion

I hadn't thought about the AC isolation, but good suggestion!

Edit: Just started varnishing the veneer. It looks incredible... Part of it is that well-aged wood doesn't need stain to get a deep natural colour... and this veneer has been exposed to air for _at least_ 30 years, and likely more.

Last edited by VintagePC; 08-07-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Heh.. I ended up doing a "why knot" resistor replacement... There were a few left to replace that were iffy and I didn't have spares for... but then I had their solder knots untangled and figured "why not?" and replaced all of the other ones in that knot... leading to more knots... and so on.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

A'right... Welcome to 3+ posts of me talking to myself

Anyhoo... just finishing up the underside of the cabinet lid. There were some large gaps in the veneer... Used an old trick I learned from my dad- take fine sawdust, mix with wood glue to make a fairly dry paste and _really_ _work_ it in to the splits. If you use sawdust from the same wood you're filling, then it matches the colour when you varnish it... just need to be careful to get rid of all excess or you'll have glue spots under the varnish.

Another question- Is it normal for the resistors to the radio tubes to get hot? I've got 2W jobbies in there now, (as on the schematic) and they get pretty warm... you can touch it for a few seconds but any more starts getting pretty uncomfortable.

Finally- did an adjustment on the trimmer for maximum reception-How long are those screws? it feels like it's about to fall out, so I backed it off a turn and left it at that.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:34 PM
a- v- karma member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePC View Post
A'right... Welcome to 3+ posts of me talking to myself

Anyhoo... just finishing up the underside of the cabinet lid. There were some large gaps in the veneer... Used an old trick I learned from my dad- take fine sawdust, mix with wood glue to make a fairly dry paste and _really_ _work_ it in to the splits. If you use sawdust from the same wood you're filling, then it matches the colour when you varnish it... just need to be careful to get rid of all excess or you'll have glue spots under the varnish.

Another question- Is it normal for the resistors to the radio tubes to get hot? I've got 2W jobbies in there now, (as on the schematic) and they get pretty warm... you can touch it for a few seconds but any more starts getting pretty uncomfortable.

Finally- did an adjustment on the trimmer for maximum reception-How long are those screws? it feels like it's about to fall out, so I backed it off a turn and left it at that.
The screws are not very long, maybe just 1/8-inch (about 3 mm) or so.
They just work by changing the curvature of a spring blade forming one
plate of the small variable capacitor. As for the 2-W resistors, just make
sure the voltage on them is within spec, and keep them suspended is free
air (even though it's inside the chassis) not pressed against some insulator
that will impede convection cooling. The usual rule of thumb regarding
resistors is to keep the actual dissipation below half the nominal
power rating. Good night.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

I saw a guy sanding a floor do that once: after sanding, he gathered up some of the sanding dust and mixed it in a tray with shellac. Then he had an applicator sort of like a cloth "swiffer" that he mopped this all over the floor, filled the cracks. Being shellac, it dried fast. In half an hour he was ready to fine sand and varnish.

Doesn't sound right that you would have to back a trimmer out to the point of falling out. Normally they'd be somewhere in the tight to midrange of their travel. If this is C1A on the schematic on the first page of this post it ought to peak on a weak station at the high end of the band. The weaker the better, to avoid AVC action.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Audiokarma
Old 08-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

We're looking at about 38VAC with a fully grounded input (3-prong cord)... and about 6V with the tuner. I've put the (orange drop) cap in anyway.

Of course, I've got everything back in the cabinet, and this is the moment that the balance issue (nothing on the right channel) chooses to resurface. DAMMIT.

Time to hunt that down... I think it may be wiring... I hope we haven't lost a tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
So sorry about your father, a tragedy. We never know what may happen to us.

You should be OK with your Pioneer tuner. What I would do first is plug the AC of both of them in and turn them on without connecting the audio jacks yet. See if you get any significant voltage (low AC volts range on meter) between the outer shell of the plug from the tuner to the outer shell of the jack on the Fleetwood. Try turning one AC plug over and recheck, ditto on the other AC plug. Choose the combination that gives the least voltage (if any.) Should only be just a handful of volts.

If it happened to be more than that, I might consider putting a .1 mfd cap in the shield line between the units.
Edit:
D'oh.. feel like an idiot. Nearly pulled the chassis (somewhat of a pain in this set b/c you have to hold it or it falls out when you take out the last screw... putting it back in is also a one-handed jobbie) before it occurred to me to double check the speaker wiring.

On the back of the set there's a terminal strip which has RCA outputs for external speakers (and hardware to sense their connection).

Each terminal strip has 2 connections. However, only ONE of these connections is actually connected to the amp output... the other is not connected. You can infer what happened when I re-wired the speakers.

Anyhoo... all is well now. Got 'er playing and it sounds great.

Yes, I know that
:

so stay tuned. Pics coming tonight!

Last edited by VintagePC; 08-10-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Update: Pictures uploading as I post.

After 11 pages, 155 posts, and 2470 views... WE'RE DONE!

a BIG thank you to everyone who helped bring this to fruition.

Hopefully I'll find another tube set and be back for more

If you've got questions or comments about anything, drop 'em below... I'll field them as I can.

Thanks again!