Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:56 PM
AK Member

yeah, just can't afford to drive it!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

N2LCJ here, haven't been on the airwaves since the early 90s when I used to be a MARS relay for Our Boys in the Gulf.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:04 AM
I like....big sparks!!

With the addition of Kamakiri, that makes a total of 22 licensed hams who've checked in on this "net". Update: the power supply for my transceiver shipped today, and an operator's manual w/schematic is en route as well, so I'll be able to give it a checkout soon. Also was able to score FT-243 crystals on 3885 and 7290kHz...two of the frequencies set aside by gentleman's agreement for AM operation. The T-60 hitting the air won't be far behind!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:51 PM
AK Member

I did not see a VK on here after reading all the posts,so thought I had better add my call sign too.Licensed in 1976 as VK7NCW and still have the same call.
HF rig is Kenwood TS2000s.Two metre /70 CM rig is is ICOM IC208H.
I listen every day still' but very seldom transmit.
Waiting for the next Sunspot Cycle in around 2010.
The code was also cancelled as a requirement here in Aus about two or three years ago,but I still love it.
I also enjoy SSTV on 20 metres and have loads of nature pics from my island which I send to other stations.
I joined AudioKarma to read about my Infinity RS 4.5's which I recently found in a 2nd hand shop for AU$1,250.They are still in pretty good condition' having been refurbished during the past 2 to 3 years.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

KB9WAH

Sold most of my gear a while ago so I'm not very active. I do like to listen in on weather nets though.
Audiokarma
Old 08-03-2008, 05:12 PM
AK Member

Dx

JerryR WW0E from Iowa.

DX'er - QRV on all 8 HF bands.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
AK Member

i just listen i need to go to a club and take the test maby one day i will be a ham radio operator
Old 08-07-2008, 01:56 AM
tube gear fanatic

i like to listen too.i use to listen in on the ham band more so than i did shortwave.i use to spend countless nights up around 3898 kc and listening to the antics of the hams that hung around there and other frequencies.

real radios glow in the dark...
Old 08-16-2008, 06:13 AM
AK Member

hello folks

went to what used to be a big 3 day gathering at a hamfest in this area but i found the turnout to be very dissapointing to say the least .

wonder if anyone has gone to any hamfests this summer as well maybe things such as ebay have hurt the attendence at such events . its too bad because the one on one contact at such hamfests was good getting to know others with the same interest and i dont know just making eye contact looking things over in person has advantages .

ebays fine cuts corners no dought and its makes selling easier but still miss the old fashion walking from table to table at the fests .

oh well maybe im just a stick in the mud old fashion

g6120
Old 08-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Too many hobbies

I went to one a few years ago and thought it was a real good time. Haven't been since just cuz I am never sure when they are (I guess I need to get on a mailing list). I agree it is good to be able to go table to table and talk to guys who are into the same thing (I'm normally used to a glazed look when I talk about any hobby at all)
Old 08-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Near and Far Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Not a ham...
Well Sandy, we all KNOW that's totally false

"...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"

Old 08-16-2008, 09:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

I went to one ham fest in my town. My town is very small so it was not well attended. They had more tables than vendors which leads me to believe that they expected more. It was my first time attending this one. I did go to the Iola car show this summer. It's one of the big ones. Attendance was down again this year. As was sales. The car coral with cars for sale had at least 50% more cars this year. Which leads me to think that people are starting to hurt. They had high prices on them though. I am sure that many dropped prices after the show. I know of a 60 olds 4 door from out west that was really nice that was going for around 7,000. They put it in the auction and had no takers. After some guy offered 2000 and drove off with a hell of a deal. If I would have know they would have let it go so cheap I would have bought it. It had that cool vista view rear window.
I have noticed a very high number of boats and recreation vehicles for sale lately. Bad time for selling.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, Walker, NOT a "Ham" in the Amateur Radio sense, anyways... As I've said before, I've been to hamfests around here, they are typically full of computer geeks & 144 mHz guys...You tell them about your R-390As, SX-73s, SP-600s, EK-07s, NC-183Ds, & all that, & they just kinda look at you cross-eyed, unless they are at least 50-55 or so...Nobody gives a shit about HF or AM much anymore, & really, I can't say as I blame them...Who wants to deal with something that may or may not work, sounds terrible, is subject to interference of every sort, & is basically obsolete ?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I like....big sparks!!

But that's the BEAUTY of it, Sandy!!! QRM, QRN, finicky tuning, antenna difficulties...hammin' wouldn't REALLY be fun without a few challenges!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Registered+Licensed User

KC2BVJ here. Very, very inactive. But I have the gear.